frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
I haven't been too fussed about it but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask and see if anyone else faces similar...

The car since receiving coilovers lifts a whole side when going up a gutter driveway. As it twists or whatever it does im hearing some creaks and a bit of a pop kinda sound that puts an image in my head of what you would expect a milo tin to make when you pop off the lid. Some other noises are there too i can't really describe... Creaks kinda thing. Am i doing the car damage?

Another thing i've noticed is the popping seems to also kind of happen in regular lock left to lock right when the car is cold or recently started..

Finally on a bit of a side noise, when i begin to reverse i hear a sort of noise best described as a single metalic 'tink' quite high pitched.

Any of these sound like something to worry about? Also the pop may not have anything to do with the driveway, maybe its just the turning back and forth required not to bottom out..?

G

Unregistered
are the springs on the coilovers captive when extended fully?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
posting for Josh - he's got ralliart under body braces (F&R)

about captive springs.. no they're not.. they've got the cusco pillow tops.. non adjustable..

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
hahah or dont go across rises at an angle :p

Mine does the same thing Josh, i have coilovers and apparently some sort of after market bracing underneath, i wouldnt worry about it too much

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
i have to go over at an angle or i scrape the front, but i usually scrape at some part no matter what anyway :( oh well :p what about the 'tink' sound when reversing, or the pop steering between left and right? (pretty sure the pop is caused not by the angle, thats just the creaks...)

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Jokes aside Mel's Leggy has the coilovers and to get into and out of our driveway she has to go at an angle and whilst going dead slow ours makes a lot of pops and grinds etc also.

G

Unregistered
posting for Josh - he's got ralliart under body braces (F&R)

about captive springs.. no they're not.. they've got the cusco pillow tops.. non adjustable..

uhh.. how does that affect them being captive or not?

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
mine has stock suspension (i assume) and it creaks going into my driveway on an angle (my front bar is way low)

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
You've got the dolphin Aeroform don't you Simon? That adds a couple of inches below the stock bumper...

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
You've got the dolphin Aeroform don't you Simon? That adds a couple of inches below the stock bumper...

yep, 1-2 inches.

stock shocks are probably stuffed in your case

Is that based on if they have been on the car since new (by meaning of stock?). Or do you base that on the fact that their creaking? It sounds more like its coming from the chassis then the suspension but I could be wrong.

Cheers mitchy.

Top Bottom