CV Joint - Re-Assemble - Not Going Into Place - Please Help

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
Hey all,

Im kinda stuck on the cv joint, i took it apart to clean the balls, cage, hub and inside of the outer cv joint,
now when i try to resemble it all back together i can't really get the balls back in, i mean i can get far as to put 3 back in but after that as if its stuck and i can't really move the cage or hub really to put a 4th ball.

Ive try'd it like 10 times and still not working, i know im not missing anything and have the everything the right side's up.

Ive goggled on youtube and the net and it should be easy to put back and im doing it as the video shows but its not working .

this is what im trying to do (example) :

should just be as easy as that

Please help .

MatiLP640

5W4G0N
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt
Drive
1999 Black Legnum VR4
Hi mate, how did you go with it @Gt_Galant? I need to change cv boots on front driveshafts and Im thinking to do same thing, just strip everything and give a good clean. Was it not too hard? I mean what was the problem that you couldnt put those balls back in place? Cheers

MatiLP640

5W4G0N
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt
Drive
1999 Black Legnum VR4
Ok, never mind mate. Easy as ;) probably you were too delicate or put cage wrong side... Any way:

Before:
IMAG4213.jpg

During:
IMAG4214.jpg

After:
IMAG4225.jpg

And small tip for people who wanna do it. Best way to do it is in cross pattern like you tighten your wheels. "north-south-west-east" and dont be sracred to hit it hard!

I used medium size hammer and big round puncher.

Max 15min job with good cleaning ;)

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
Hey,
Just noticed this reply.

Yeah for some reason with mine something was wrong, ended up taking it to a cv/driveshaft place and they had to replace those balls, they actually did a excellent job and used genuine boots they had in stock for a good price.

Ive done it a few times but just couldn't work out why this time it didn't so thought the next best thing get a professional to do it.

MatiLP640

5W4G0N
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt
Drive
1999 Black Legnum VR4
Hmmm thats wierd, I mean I was surprised with mine cause was so easy! Maybe you had to hit harder, I noticed with mine that couple times was "stuck" as well but after harder hit was all good ;)

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
Yeah I dunno I found it weird this time because I have done it before easily with no troubles.

Because the cv place told me they had to replace those ball bearings so I figured something was wrong.

But yeah it's not of a hard job :)

Top Bottom