Decent tyres for FL Stockies

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
What tyres would be recommended for my stock FL wheels.

As I now live at the top of a mountain, I do an average of 60kms per day. The current tyres I've borrowed from UnclePaulie (will get these back to you ASAP mate :D) have a high pitched whine which gets irritating after a while.

They'll need to be decent grip for wet, twisty roads but also quiet and not hideously expensive. Also, I need to know of a decent place to get them fitted around Mudgeereba/Robina :)

Help me OZVR4, you're my only hope!

Off topic, can someone also recommend a decent/cheap exhaust shop, I've got a new muffler I want to get put on :D

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
I am a long time user of Pirelli PZero Rosso. Quite, good grip on dry and wet. I drive an average of 75km a day due to my work profession.

I bought my last set back in Nov 2008 and until now, I still have a good 75% thread. Yes, a bit expensive but it is a good value for money.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
When I had 'Grandpa', I was doing 50,000kms a year.

I had Bridgestone Turanzas on him & they weren't that dear & lasted ages.
I finally replaced the front 2 with Potenzas.

Hank Scorpio

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lachlan
Drive
Mazda JC Cosmo, Mazda FC3C RX7 Convertible
I just stuck Toyo Teo's on mine, cheap, quiet, japanese, long lasting. Leave the high performance tyres to the 17's and 18's ;)

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
kumho ku17's or the next spec up is my bet

i got my kuhmo's for $115 a tyre (225/45/r18) so the 16's should be cheaper

lol @ whine, gotta love $35 complience tyres haha

snitz

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Jason
Drive
Toyota Cressida,GK Scorpion,VP Calais..2000 Legnum type S and a Rota project in the shed.
I just stuck Toyo Teo's on mine, cheap, quiet, japanese, long lasting. Leave the high performance tyres to the 17's and 18's ;)

I'd have to agree with you on the Toyo Teo Plus'. I run them on my Commodore (In a 17 inch) and they are the quietest and smoothest tyre I have bought so far and they last for ever too.I have toyo proxes 4's on my cressida and they grip like shit to a blanket but they are noisy.Teos FTW.

Hank Scorpio

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lachlan
Drive
Mazda JC Cosmo, Mazda FC3C RX7 Convertible
Yep, I'm putting Proxes 4 on the Work Wheels when they arrive. It all depends on what you want to use them for! Teos for the daily commute, Proxes 4 for some weekend fun, haha!

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Drive
Looks like the TEOs are the best bet... now to find somewhere cheap down on the coast to get them :)

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
You should be able to get them fitted in 205/55R16 for about $160 each.... Any more than that is a rip off :)

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Drive
Actually, the old tyres are Yokohama S-Drive 225/55/R16 and I never really had an issue with those... are they as good as the Toyos?

gumstick

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Peter
Drive
'97 Type S Legnum and 180SX
I recently has 4 new Toyo TEOs fitted and balanced for 150 a corner. Try tyre power.

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Drive
Also, I don't understand the profiles and all that jazz, so is the bigger numbers better or not?

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Drive
Cool, didn't spot that mate. I have absolutely ZERO comprehension when it comes to all this wheel/tyre stuff.

I read that offsets thread as well and I'm still confused 11 pages later.

I got these numbers off my stockies, 225/50/16 16x6.5 +38, which corresponds with Lee's thread.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Thats it man....

You can also use 205/55R16's as well. I personally recommend the 205's as the 225's make the car feel like your tyres are made out of jelly lol

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Narrower 205 vs 225 and taller 55 vs 50..... Has about the same rolling diameter though on a 6.5" wheel

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Drive
So tall & thin is better than short & fat?

But I like mine chunky :p

Top Bottom