Eco AirCon mode

mchieff

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dennis
Drive
Legnum
Hey all,

Just a quickie that i couldn't find anywhere else but what the hell does the Eco air mode do?
it seems to cool as well and engage as much to get to the desired temperature so what is the difference between using it and not?

Cheers,
Dennis

G

Unregistered
I thought it just increased the hysteresis, but others had said it switches off the air-con at idle.

mchieff

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dennis
Drive
Legnum
I thought it just increased the hysteresis
Err nice big wordism :p
From below:
A system may be explicitly designed to exhibit hysteresis, especially in control theory. For example, consider a thermostat that controls a furnace. The furnace is either off or on, with nothing in between. The thermostat is a system; the input is the temperature, and the output is the furnace state. If one wishes to maintain a temperature of 20 °C, then one might set the thermostat to turn the furnace on when the temperature drops below 18 °C, and turn it off when the temperature exceeds 22 °C. This thermostat has hysteresis. If the temperature is 21 °C, then it is not possible to predict whether the furnace is on or off without knowing the history of the temperature.
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hysteresis
So slighlty more variance around the eco setting eg 21 is off till 24 whereas no eco is on at 22?

wosbwm

Crunching Gears
First Name
Wayne
Drive
legnum VR4 Type S, Challenger LS, Magna Wagon, Mercedes E Class, XE Fairmont Wagon S-Pac, Renault Megane
Same ... I have always used eco, I like the idea that perhaps it may help use less fuel lol

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
Yeah i was under the impression that:

Say you had it set to 20, the air con compressor clutch would engage at around, say, 22 degrees but if it were on Eco it would cut in when the temp reached, say, 24 degrees and there for having the compressor cutting in and out less.

Hope that made sense :p

Top Bottom