Engine fuse blowing :(

vr4cobra

1 AYC Bar
First Name
T-J
Drive
1996 Galant VR4
Hey guys my Galant has decided to be temperamental to me today :(
So I have left it at work for the last week since I'm on breakdown. I drove it into the workshop and changed the engine oil and filter. I also replaced the rear engine mount, I didn't remove any inlet pipes and electrical connectors. I had to use a long extension to get to the top bolts for the rear mount which came up beside the relay in the rubber boot.
after I completed the service and mount I ran her up all good left idling for 20min no issues, I went to reverse out of the workshop over the brake rollers but when front wheels almost over the engine stalled, abs light came on and thermo fans start on full blast (does this before I reset the immobilize to start the car).
Checked over everything and found the 20amp engine fuse in the engine bay had blown. Replaced the fuse and it drove fine till I opened it up into second gear then slowed down, and again lost all power blown engine fuse. Replaced it again and check over all wiring etc with engine running but nothing shut off the engine. So another lap and all good so opened her up again and same thing second gear then back off and it shut down again :(.

Has anyone ever had this issue before? And does anyone know what circuits this fuse covers? Need to fix this by next weekend

Cheers in advance guys

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
Just a quick question when the engine dies (of the blown fuse) does the car crank like it wants to start still even thou it won't turn on ?

vr4cobra

1 AYC Bar
First Name
T-J
Drive
1996 Galant VR4
yep cranks over but no sign of firing. Should also add when fuse blows scan tool cant connect and when fuse replaced it connects but not codes.

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
Okay, not saying this is the problem, about 2 years ago i kinda had a similar problem - my car is a 7th Gen Galant VR4 and had my engine fuse blown, i replaced it and blew again within 2 minutes or so and got it towed, with my car it ended up being the fuel pump had it, i replaced it and works since.

I know that with Galant 7th & 8th Gen that fuel pump are a common problem, probably worth checking/replacing ? mine looked perfect when got it out but obviously something was wrong with it :)

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
I had an engine fuse blow when a IFS failed and had a working but failing coil pack that I think caused 2 IFS sensors to fail

vr4cobra

1 AYC Bar
First Name
T-J
Drive
1996 Galant VR4
well its got cop kit put on bout 1000km ago, fuel pump bout 30,000km ago (255 walbro). the relay in the rubber boot on the firewall is that the relay for fuel,pump? Maybe I might have bumped it, could that cause an issue I wonder?

vr4cobra

1 AYC Bar
First Name
T-J
Drive
1996 Galant VR4
anyone have any ideas? When I drove it the car was bloody quick wound through the gears faster then ever felt with the butt dyno :p

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
dude.. not sure on your issues... but... I recall somewhere about grounding wires not attached properly and causing havoc?! maybe similar

vr4cobra

1 AYC Bar
First Name
T-J
Drive
1996 Galant VR4
checked all wiring I could in and around where I was working on it but all seem to be ok and I have a earthing kit fitted too. Which is all connected directly to the battery

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
You can easily bypass the second pump relay on the firewall to test...

vr4cobra

1 AYC Bar
First Name
T-J
Drive
1996 Galant VR4
how do I do that and do u have a photo of it so I know exactly which one im looking at?

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Its the hedgehog like one, disconnect the plug and bridge it. Remind me tomorrow during day light and I'll post a pic... others do it as a means of hot wiring their fuel pump

Must admit though this is a bit of a stretch jumping to this without proper diagnosis.

vr4cobra

1 AYC Bar
First Name
T-J
Drive
1996 Galant VR4
I don't know what is like a hedgehog on my car haha but that would be good if u could, mine has a few other components being converted to manual so better ensure I get the right part... process of elimination sometimes works best :p

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Seems weird the way it doesn't happen straight away, could it be something to do with one of the driver assists detecting wheel slip?
I would be trying pulling all the tcl, abs, ayc fuses etc to eliminate that possibility. That fuse you are talking about goes straight to the ignition barrel ay?

vr4cobra

1 AYC Bar
First Name
T-J
Drive
1996 Galant VR4
that the one i was thinking thanks Akko.

all dash lights etc are on and turns over like normal just no sign of firing at all when blows the fuel. After replacing all is normal.

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
Wow. It's seems to be ifs? Glad it was a reasonably cheap fix. Fingers crossed.

VR4 WRC

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum VR4
Sounds like a similar problem i had last year. I took it in for a wheel alignment on a day off and had 2 kids in tow. 5 minutes later and one of guys came over and asked if the car has stalled before. I said not that i remembered. It had stopped while the guy was driving for a before alignment test. It was only a couple of blocks away. Noticed that it had blown a fuse, swapped it but it blew straight away. Towed it back to the workshop. Thought it was the immobilizer unit so $200 replaced that. Was there for about 5 hours trying to solve it. No avail.
Had it towed home the next day. Then proceeded to trace the wire through the loom. Removed half the dash. Thought it was solved put it all back together, test drive, same thing.

I read on here about a short in the loom that someone else had. I then went over my loom & found that it had rubbed through where the loom goes over the thermostat housing. Out with the black tape, wrapped it back up, more rubber hose to protect it and haven't had it happen again.

Might be worth a quick look.

Scott

Top Bottom