Not open for further replies.

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Yes but your missing my point, expecting something is better doesn't mean that it will be just that you had higher hopes (perhaps misguided to begin with) that it would be a certain way...

How many times do you pay less and get a better product, likewise paying more just means sometimes you get burned and the rest of the time you believe your paying for better quality.

slickd1

Wizard
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matthew Dundon
Drive
1998 EC5W Manual Legnum.
Yes but your missing my point, expecting something is better doesn't mean that it will be just that you had higher hopes (perhaps misguided to begin with) that it would be a certain way...

How many times do you pay less and get a better product, likewise paying more just means sometimes you get burned and the rest of the time you believe your paying for better quality.

Exactly, someone who knows what they're doing with a good mould made up and a vacuum bagging setup could be pumping out CF bonnets for $1200-$1500 a pop, but no-one is that isn't crap at working with CF. End of the story is pretty much don't bother unless you have a spare 3k kicking about. Because for our cars aftermarket bonnets are too expensive for the quality (compared to what you could get for another car).

If I buy something new, I expect it to be a new unblemished product that is fit for purpose for a reasonable life expectancy. Regardless of what I paid, unless it was second hand or damaged stock.

If a big enough group (5+) wanted CF monster bonnets then we could make a mould, buy CF twill and fibreglass/kevlar in bulk, get vacuum bagging gear and do good fibreglass ones with the final layer being CF, this'll save massively on costs.

I can price up materials if people are interested, but before you consider it, so you know whats involved, have a quick squiz at "how to make a carbon fibre bonnet" on youtube by easycomposites http://www.easycomposites.co.uk/#!/composites-tutorials/make-a-carbon-fibre-bonnet-hood-part1. And obviously would need funds for materials up front.

Making a perfect mould first up is a really big deal, like painting, prep is everything, the mould literally needs to have a mirror finish first up and we'd only be able to do one style.

Cheaper again would be to re-skin a stock steel bonnet frame.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Exactly, someone who knows what they're doing with a good mould made up and a vacuum bagging setup could be pumping out CF bonnets for $1200-$1500 a pop, but no-one is that isn't crap at working with CF. End of the story is pretty much don't bother unless you have a spare 3k kicking about. Because for our cars aftermarket bonnets are too expensive for the quality (compared to what you could get for another car).

If I buy something new, I expect it to be a new unblemished product that is fit for purpose for a reasonable life expectancy. Regardless of what I paid, unless it was second hand or damaged stock.

If a big enough group (5+) wanted CF monster bonnets then we could make a mould, buy CF twill and fibreglass/kevlar in bulk, get vacuum bagging gear and do good fibreglass ones with the final layer being CF, this'll save massively on costs.

I can price up materials if people are interested, but before you consider it, so you know whats involved, have a quick squiz at "how to make a carbon fibre bonnet" on youtube by easycomposites http://www.easycomposites.co.uk/#!/composites-tutorials/make-a-carbon-fibre-bonnet-hood-part1. And obviously would need funds for materials up front.

Making a perfect mould first up is a really big deal, like painting, prep is everything, the mould literally needs to have a mirror finish first up and we'd only be able to do one style.

Cheaper again would be to re-skin a stock steel bonnet frame.

It's a good video, saw it around 12 months or so ago. Thought about doing it myself but modding a spare bonnet here to what I wanted to keep the cost down as the donor. But time and cost stopped that

J_banger

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Jason
Drive
97 Legnum vr4
A company called topstage used to make them, and would more than likely still have a mould kicking around
This is mine on the left of that pic

image.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom