EVO Bonnets (old thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Unregistered
My Evos front end Is about Half the Length of the Legnums bonnet So I guess not. I really want a Evo style for the Leggy now so my cars look like twin brothers.

Black_Ice

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Aamir
Drive
WRX
Evo bonnets definitely do not fit on the VR4's...

the same company Tails mentioned in the post above also do fiber glass evo 'style' bonnets for $500+ but from what I have heard from other members the quality is pretty crappy..

vr4cobra

1 AYC Bar
First Name
T-J
Drive
1996 Galant VR4
Yeah a mate of mine got one for his legnum a while back and was very poor quality... Alot of craters and uneven he had to use bog over most of it before he pained it...altho did look better before he attacked it :p

mfbamba

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Misagh
Drive
1997 Legnum
The owner who had his blue Legnum keyed said something similar (could be same guy ^^)

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Very surprised & disappointed in the rep people here are giving Topstage. Freddy is a good guy and his work is high quality. If you're considering Topstage parts contact him and discuss your concerns with him. He'll be more than happy to address them based on what I know of the guy.

Bear in mind that it is an individual and fellow enthusiast you're slandering, not a big faceless company.

Black_Ice

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Aamir
Drive
WRX
Its not slandering Tim..this info is from our own members experiences not hearsay...Thats the whole point of having a forum so we can share our experiences with each other and benefit from one another...And its not that one person has been unhappy and everyone else has been happy..whenever someone has got this bonnet and posted it up they have not been happy with the quality and fit..

I had topstage grill myself and it was not the best of quality finish wise..also the grill has to be attached using double sided tape and not clips...

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
SuperGT supplied ones were the way to go but not sure if they're still doing them...

R Kilburn

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Roland
Drive
1996 PFL VR-4 Galant
that sucks, so could I get away with cutting a slot out of the stock hood (leave frame intact) and fit an evo 6 scoop with vent slam plate

Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
I don't know if that's allowed but lots of people just get their CF hoods painted so it doesn't attract attention.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Its not slandering Tim..this info is from our own members experiences not hearsay...Thats the whole point of having a forum so we can share our experiences with each other and benefit from one another...And its not that one person has been unhappy and everyone else has been happy..whenever someone has got this bonnet and posted it up they have not been happy with the quality and fit..

I had topstage grill myself and it was not the best of quality finish wise..also the grill has to be attached using double sided tape and not clips...

I've seen his work on 180SX & AE86 lips first hand and it's great. They guy built a full carbon sports sedan FFS - can fabricate. I just think casual observers would be getting the wrong idea of the company if they read these comments. People need to contact him and discuss any problems they may have. There will be a good reason for them, I'd suggest, and I'm sure they could be overcome.

Having said that, I have a genuine Origin carbon bonnet on my Silvia, made in Japan, and there are slight imperfections in it. You can't expect aftermarket body parts, especially fibreglass or carbon ones, to be flawless.

vr4cobra

1 AYC Bar
First Name
T-J
Drive
1996 Galant VR4
The owner who had his blue Legnum keyed said something similar (could be same guy ^^)

No different.guy he wasnt on the forum and it was a white legnum till he attacked it with a very very well wat he attempted as a black paint job with red flakes... and im not sure who he got it from but it cost him $500 off ebay and was told it was adr approved even tho it obviously wasnt and didnt come with paperwork to prove it either lol..

In QLD fiberglass and cf hoods are only legal if it has metal frame still so u can modify with a scoop or or vents cutting into the hood as long as the main frame is intact. Atleast that wat it was 2 years ago who knows now they keep changing the rules.

Id be checking up on it before going hacking tho just incase.

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
I don't know if that's allowed but lots of people just get their CF hoods painted so it doesn't attract attention.

^exactly this

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
Having said that, I have a genuine Origin carbon bonnet on my Silvia, made in Japan, and there are slight imperfections in it. You can't expect aftermarket body parts, especially fibreglass or carbon ones, to be flawless.

Disagree with this, for mind expectations are proportional to spend.

slickd1

Wizard
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matthew Dundon
Drive
1998 EC5W Manual Legnum.
Disagree with this, for mind expectations are propotional to spend.
If I spend over a grand on a bonnet, I'd expect it to be better than something I can do myself, stuff I've seen so far isn't.

I skinned a CF engine cover that came up better than some of the CF bonnets I've seen, and I didn't even vacuum bag it, just wet lay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom