Exhaust leak in VR4

JRVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
2000 galant type V manual
Ok so i've recently discovered my legnum has a leak in the exhaust just after the cat...i've havent had any experience with fixing something like this as my last car (integra) also had issues in this area but i just decided to get a new one thrown on. I'm under the impression its simply a matter of buying some exhaust cement and patching the leak? Is this a long-term solution to the problem? And if it is, whats a good brand to go with cement-wise...much $ involved? I'm a uni bum haha ;). Cheers guys.

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Depends what would be causing the leak I imagine.. if its a crack at a join, an exhaust shop should be able to weld it up for $20-30 I'd imagine. If its more sever than welding a crack, cement is only going to be a temporary solution that would probably crack and fall out over time.

Take it to your fav/local exhaust shop and get them to have a look / weld it up

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Justin shoving some bog (essentially) in is a fairly bad idea - apart from the fact that it will continue to degrade over time, the mound of bog protruding into the exhaust will disrupt air flow. If your hole has been caused by rust, the corrosion will simply continue around the bog until it falls out.

Take it to your exhaust shop of choice and have them weld it up for you. Seriously dude, I'm all for doing work on your car yourself and saving a buck, but sometimes you're better off taking it to a professional who has all the right tools and experience to do the job quickly. As Lee said, it probably won't cost much anyway.

G

Unregistered
Your car should have had the cat replaced at compliance so if you have a quick look yourself first you may find that there is a loose bolt and all you need to do is replace the gasket and tighten up , or it has cracked or most likley rusted out one of those resinators.

JRVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Yeah i have discovered (with the help of JAZMAC garage), that the pricks doing the compliance work did a half arsed job putting the cat on, i'm having that sorted and a few more things done to the car next week.

G

Unregistered
Yea my cat also was never changed at compliance.
Mine has a leak too before the cat in the flexi part there is a small hole somewhere.

JRVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Yeah, my leak is blantantly loud and obvious when the car was at idle so i had to get something done.

Top Bottom