Extended Fuel and Ignition tables

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
Normally I get annoyed when people duplicate posts on 2 forums. However, in this case I think it might be warranted.
Kenneth said:
There appear to be some selfish people out there who like to use collective knowledge to help them produce their own private library of ECU definitions which they refuse to share with the people who shared their knowledge in the first place. Unless they pay of course.
If this is you, shame on you for not giving back to such a generous community.

If this in not you, thank you for your generosity and here is some return.
Please note that this is not a final release, I have tested it somewhat in my car but not extensively. I realise most of you don't care how it was done, the free access to the required definition and image is likely as much as you need or want.

I do have another definition which lets me access the areas of the image for hacking, but if you miss one out, screw it up or get a slightly wrong value then I can tell you things are interesting and sometimes not immediately apparent. If you don't have a spare ECU (and possibly a spare engine) to plug into the car should things go wrong, then this probably isn't for you.

If for some reason you want to change the axis sizes etc, then perhaps we can talk.

The pictures should tell you what I have done with this image. It was of course my vanity which has dictated the prefix used to identify this image and the relocated maps.
You should find the maps are the same as the standard high and low octane maps... to the point at which they exceed the standard mapping. If you go into this unknown area, then this mapping is going to be incorrect.

In a manner of speaking, this map extension probably isn't that necessary... However I had to start somewhere and I expect this map relocation is going to be the simplest task.

Enjoy.
unfortunately I can't upload a zip file or a .hex file, so you will need to go to the members area of Club VR-4 to get the image and definition unless someone can allow the zip file extension to be uploaded. No, I won't upload to an internet file share.

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
Just tried again and no success... so definitely not me being a numpty :)
Zip would be better as then I can upload a zip file with the image plus the definition all in one go

Dude, I'm sure we set up .hex files on here...

I'll have a look at what's going on.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Wow.... It looks like an evo x map size....

and then they go and make all the values the same anyway (fuel map).... nice find!

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
Just to be clear, this map is the result of my personal ECU disassembly and it was I who added the extended maps. (KS being my initials)

Yes, the maps are not really altered from standard, that is for people to do to suit their vehicles. Even the axis scaling should probably be modified to suit your application, I just put something there so people had a set of values which made sense so they could work from it.

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
Oh, and additionally please be aware that the definition is for a MH7203 processor, you will have to change the memory model in the definition to allow it to be flashed onto MH7202.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Kenneth

Well done

phosty

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Phil
Drive
VR-4, MT
Kenneth, fantastic work! This is the first example I've seen of someone actually adding new features to the VR4 ROMs rather than just pattern matching, trial and error table identifications. I had a quick scan through the hex files and see that you have added the new extended table data in unused areas of the ROMs - but the really clever bit so far as I can see is that you must have changed the lookup addresses in the ecu code to make it look at the new tables rather than the old ones.

I see quite a few bytes in the non-table area changed - presumably to the addresses or lookup code? Can you elaborate?

I'm guessing you have spent quite some time disassembling the ecu code to get as far as this - what are your current and future plans?

Danners

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
99 Galant VR4 Series 2
I apologise in advance for being an absolute noob, but in lamens terms what do these extended fuel and ignition tables allow us to do?

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
Better resolution of the map scales, put simply you can tune it finer

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
You are correct, I changed where the ECU looks up the data. I did it that way because it seemed the simplest way to go about it. (I like simple... lol)

I have a fairly good disassembly now, just (at least when I have time... not been at it for many weeks :( ) a matter of actually learning my way around assembler. This was a fairly simple task compared with extending the actual code to run different algorithms or to take a separate input etc. My aim (in an ideal world, not often we get there though) is to cut out any code which I don't think will be useful and re assign some inputs/outputs.

Yes, the changed bytes in the code area are the address changes. I would elaborate on it more, but I don't know how to explain it without sitting here for hours! Do you have any specific questions about what was done?
And yes, have put a lot of time into it so far and only just touching the surface. Quite a learning curve as I had no assembler knowledge before starting.

Kenneth, fantastic work! This is the first example I've seen of someone actually adding new features to the VR4 ROMs rather than just pattern matching, trial and error table identifications. I had a quick scan through the hex files and see that you have added the new extended table data in unused areas of the ROMs - but the really clever bit so far as I can see is that you must have changed the lookup addresses in the ecu code to make it look at the new tables rather than the old ones.

I see quite a few bytes in the non-table area changed - presumably to the addresses or lookup code? Can you elaborate?

I'm guessing you have spent quite some time disassembling the ecu code to get as far as this - what are your current and future plans?

Top Bottom