Fitting aftermarket seats

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
I just got my black leather recaro-style seats last week, they look and feel very nice.

I took them to a mates house to have a go at installing them. After pulling apart the standard seats, and comparing the rails and brackets, we both realised it's gonna need custom rails made up.

Anyone got any idea on who does this kinda work and how much it should cost?

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
Yeah they did, but the universal part is a bit of an over statement; the rails fit the seat of course, but not the bolts on the floor. They're about 15cm too short, also there's nothing to mount the seat belt into, and by the time we discovered all this, we gave up and agreed that we need someone with a little more experience to take over.

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
If the rail is too short - just have a fabricator weld on the extra length required, and also a seat belt anchor point. This will be cheaper than a complete new rail.

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
Available on ebay here

d722_12.jpg

Also from this place

I'll get some proper pics and do some measurements tomorrow.

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S
Good luck finding those lol

Just remember that you'll need your seat rails engineered to be legal (In NSW at least)

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
I measured up everything and came up with a plan, basically I need new right angle brackets made up which connect from the seat to the rails, also the rails need to be extended to fit onto the floor bolts, or a whole new plate put underneath for the rails to sit on. However looking at the whole thing I would prefer someone else to do it, just didn't expect to have to pay them so much cash.

Robotnik123

Crunching Gears
First Name
Jan
Drive
1999 Legnum VR-4 Type S
Im not actully sure that they are proper VR rails John, sorry to tell you... But they fit anyhow :p

Damn you might be right. And they are not VR-4 Recaros either. They must come out of some sort of Mitsubishi though, or else how would they fit? A coupe it would seem. Maybe they are from a Mirage Cyborg, a GTO or maybe even an Eclipse. My money is on a GTO.

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
Both mine and Wynn's recaro rails look just like the std ones one... :confused:

I think at some stage mine are going to come out and ill put some Honda SR5 Recaro's in mins :p

Zild

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
1998 VR4 Galant
Not that i've investigated this any further, but would it be possible to unbolt the rails of the standard seats and put them on to aftermarket ones!?

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
Not that i've investigated this any further, but would it be possible to unbolt the rails of the standard seats and put them on to aftermarket ones!?

Yeah this was the first thing I tried, however there is absolutely no hope of this happening, the design is totally different.

Funny enough though, yesterday I went into a welding supplies shop to pick up some cable to use for the battery relocation, and I asked if they'd be interested in constructing/modifying aftermarket seat rails. One of the guys said he's actually in the process of doing some for his own car (Ford cobra) and that he'd be happy to do it.

The best part was that he quoted $300 for the whole job! A bit better to my first quote of approx $1000 a seat! He's gonna start them this afternoon.

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
Yeah this was the first thing I tried, however there is absolutely no hope of this happening, the design is totally different.

Funny enough though, yesterday I went into a welding supplies shop to pick up some cable to use for the battery relocation, and I asked if they'd be interested in constructing/modifying aftermarket seat rails. One of the guys said he's actually in the process of doing some for his own car (Ford cobra) and that he'd be happy to do it.

The best part was that he quoted $300 for the whole job! A bit better to my first quote of approx $1000 a seat! He's gonna start them this afternoon.

Awesome!!! Good going Madhav. Don't ya just love it when stuff falls into place like that!:D

I work for fabricators (drafting) and most of their quotes are based on demand and how busy they are. If you want them to do a cheap quick job the best time to get them is around Christmas time.:)

Top Bottom