Flickering headlights & rough idle?

Blue legnum

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joe
Drive
2013 Suzuki Swift Sport , 65 Mustang 351w
Hi guys
The Legnum has started to idle rough & at night noticed the headlights flicker & the same time?
Any ideas?
Cheers

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Yep the LPG system is sucking too much power from the car. You'll need to switch back to good old 98RON petrol :)

Sorry, couldn't resist :p

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Joe, your car's auto right? get a volt meter and see if your alternator is providing you enough current to charge the battery while you have the engine running

also if your alternator is good.. my suggestion is the battery..

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Previous: Black PFL Legnum
Current: TD5 Land Rover Disco
Mine does the same as this
alternator seems to be charging properly according to my turbo timer/voltmeter/O2 sensor and battery is brand new and holds charge

Goin to replace my injector seams and clean the injectors(can hear an air leak from what sounds like the injector) might not be a solution, but it needs doing

Other possible fixes?

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
+1 for either alternator or battery.

I believe our alternators have a field response output that tells the ECU how much 'load' it's putting on so ECU can adjust idle, etc. if this isnt working correctly, there is potential for the ECU to have bad idling habits. Haven't played with this yet to see what it effects and if there is any tables we can play with, source code of our ROM shows signs of it being there (similar code to evo)

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Or something as basic as a vacuum leak causing idle to dip so low it's almost stalling, hence the headlight dim. How low does the idle get when the flicker occurrs and have you done a boost leak test to find leaks?

Blue legnum

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joe
Drive
2013 Suzuki Swift Sport , 65 Mustang 351w
Yep the LPG system is sucking too much power from the car. You'll need to switch back to good old 98RON petrol :)

Sorry, couldn't resist :p

Haha Brad. The Good ole LPG gag!
Could see that one coming a mile away!

Will check the output today but it's doing it on gas or petrol.
The idle is normal & dips ocassionally low.

I had a quick look at the battery this morning & took the caps off.
The cells were exposed so topped it up!

Will see later on if it's holding its charge?
Otherwise I'll get the RACV out today to check the battery/alternator out!

G

Unregistered
Buy yourself a multimeter if you don't already have one, they are really handy. A basic one is < $10 and a few seconds of testing would determine the cause.

Also, did you top up the battery with distilled/demineralised water or regular tap water?

VRFKN4

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Josh
Drive
'97 Galant VR4
Take the plastic engine cover off, are the coil packs shorting? Might as well test coil packs with a spray bottle to test while you're at it anyway.

Mark

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Mark White
Drive
Legnum
I thought I might find my own problem here, but alas NO. My headlights dim to the parking lights every single time about 3 seconds after I have stopped somewhere, such as at a red light, by applying the brake. As soon as I take my foot of the brake the full headlights come back on. Any ideas? If I am quick enough and throw the auto into Park, the full headlights stay on.

parepin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
4G93 Mirage
#HairdresserCivic
I've heard that's a feature Mark, factory or otherwise. I think TJ (vr4cobra) had that or still has that, not sure how common it is.

G

Unregistered
That's courtesy feature in Japan, traditionally people dim their lights at intersection so they don't dazzle the drivers on the opposite side. However I noticed younger drivers didn't really bother much these days.

vr4cobra

1 AYC Bar
First Name
T-J
Drive
1996 Galant VR4
I thought I might find my own problem here, but alas NO. My headlights dim to the parking lights every single time about 3 seconds after I have stopped somewhere, such as at a red light, by applying the brake. As soon as I take my foot of the brake the full headlights come back on. Any ideas? If I am quick enough and throw the auto into Park, the full headlights stay on.

I've heard that's a feature Mark, factory or otherwise. I think TJ (vr4cobra) had that or still has that, not sure how common it is.

Yeah mate I have the same thing. I have a switch under the dash below the steering wheel that turns it on and off. not sure of anyone else that has it tho. try searching for a random switch somewhere.

Top Bottom