Front Supension JDM to USDM

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
hey guys.. im going nuts and I am still paranoid about my car..

so, I'm gonna try and convert my front suspension into what the USDM guys use.. which is also the same as what the EVO guys use..

cross fingers that it works..

from what I can imagine, we'll need the following

2x Hub Knuckles from a 2000 model GTZ (V6) as these comes with the ABS sensors..
2x lower control arm with the mount (LH and RH)

apart from that.. it'll be the macpherson struts.. but that will be bought later on.. locally..

so.. what do you guys think? Im nuts? possibly

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Considering your fkn scary LCA ball joint failure, the paranoia is definitely justified. Always wondered what Evo stuff was compatible too. Keen to see how this turns out and what possibilities it opens up. Nice work man.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
the k frame might be an issue from what taylor and I discovered. might even be easier to buy a usdm k frame and notch it to suit a tailshaft. that way the LCA is a straight bolt on. our k frame as a different rear mount. that why i shelved the idea.

the pros to this severely out weigh the cons.

J-B

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jarrad
Drive
EVO VII GSR
This sounds interesting. Does anyone have any images of what a USDM front suspension looks like compared to what we currently have?

It would be interesting to see how much work is involved if it can solve the LCA issues it would be a great swap

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
Sounds like a good idea. I've never liked our front suspension configuration.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
i think it'll be easier than what it looks like..

from what i can see (imagine) its a straight forward conversion.. just as long as the 2 mount points meet up..

seller agreed to sell me the stuff for the price that i want it for.. so hopefully its here by next week..

if these dont work.. at least that'll make my 5 stud conversion on the Lancer 50% ready.

Sounds like a good idea. I've never liked our front suspension configuration.

our front suspension design is sophisticated, just that the manufacturer decided to cheap out on the materials used..

G

Unregistered
Yeah unfortunate about the flaws as it's essentially a double wishbone setup.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
this is a usdm 8g LCA

champmen_036-img600x401-1291386807hkjqor3271.jpg

the hubs are similar to evo's and magna's but both have slight differences between the two
600x450-15249-2.jpg

the beauty of this conversion, (especially for PFL owners) is:
-no more lca issues
-160mm brakes
-rollcenter adjustments avail
-camber adjustment

the only issue might be trying to find new swaybar end links...thats if you can get the lca mounted

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
what im getting is what Paulie posted, but with 1 difference.. the lower control arm's mount tab is slightly off

the set im getting is this..
!B8gGBLwEGk~$(KGrHqZ,!ksEy+jCy,eIBM3MvsGlJ!~~0_12.JPG

if you look closer, you'll see that they're not straight and i think they'll match up to where our current control arms bolt to..

J-B

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jarrad
Drive
EVO VII GSR
Should be interesting if this works. Wonder what a new one would cost from Mitsubishi, can anyone find the part number for them?

parepin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
4G93 Mirage
#HairdresserCivic
This is a pretty good idea. Keen to see the outcome. Would this be bolt on?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
most knuckles I see in the US ebay for the Galant 8G are without ABS, so you'll have to keep digging.. I think the the 3G Eclipse though on the other hand has alot of hubs/knuckles with the ABS

Would this be bolt on?

I hope so.. if not, I hope there's only slight changes to be done..

[TUFFTR]

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Paul
Drive
Mitsubishi Magna
Has anyone had issues after they have replaced the stock lower control arms with new OEM units?

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
They still wear out Paul, I know of a few cars over here that have had to have them replaced every 3-5 years depending on use...

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
They still wear out Paul, I know of a few cars over here that have had to have them replaced every 3-5 years depending on use...

do they wear out because of the stress they get put in? or simply because the material's quality just not that good..

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
I would suggest the ones that dont last the 5 years would be down to the stress they get put in(excessively lowered, hugely wide wheels etc). Others due to the amount of k's they get driven for... Ive seen a few get driven 60k a year which is quite a few k's.

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
Would it be possible to get some lca's madeup. Would be easy enough to get a prototype together on solid works or something. Then just pick better materials and possibly a better ball joint design and try and get someone to fabricate it. Or would you need massive demand fr someone to consider making moulds etc.

G

Unregistered
I would suggest the ones that dont last the 5 years would be down to the stress they get put in(excessively lowered, hugely wide wheels etc). Others due to the amount of k's they get driven for... Ive seen a few get driven 60k a year which is quite a few k's.

Bingo :)

Top Bottom