Front Supension JDM to USDM

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Hmmm, not to derail this at all, by all means there may be benefits such as other part availability etc etc but for me I like our front end multilink setup.

As for the LCA's, if I have to replace my $300 max OEM LCA's every 3 years, so what? It's not that much really. I dunno, macpherson strut just seems a backward step.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Would it be possible to get some lca's madeup. Would be easy enough to get a prototype together on solid works or something. Then just pick better materials and possibly a better ball joint design and try and get someone to fabricate it. Or would you need massive demand fr someone to consider making moulds etc.

tried this and that.. I went to several workshop who can cnc stuff for us.. no one would dare try.. they said that if it was for track only use, they'd give it a go.. but if it'll be used for road use.. they would think really hard about it..

Hmmm, not to derail this at all, by all means there may be benefits such as other part availability etc etc but for me I like our front end multilink setup.

As for the LCA's, if I have to replace my $300 max OEM LCA's every 3 years, so what? It's not that much really. I dunno, macpherson strut just seems a backward step.

i dont mind replacing my LCA every 2-3 years, but just the thought of Mitsubishi using 'B' grade quality materials, then I would rather try and see what options I have..

also reason why Im looking into this is because 'why would rally teams keep the same setup, if its works for them - why wouldn't it even for just road use'

well.. that's my point of view on it..

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
I can see why they would be afraid to do it if they had to engineer completely. But if you designed it and provided all the relevant specs and all they had to do was actually make it maybe they wouldn't be so against it. But yeah I'm with Steve, I dont really want to change the suspension but after seeing some of the failures I wouldn't mind making it stronger for peace of mind.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
also reason why Im looking into this is because 'why would rally teams keep the same setup, if its works for them - why wouldn't it even for just road
Rally rules?

[TUFFTR]

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Paul
Drive
Mitsubishi Magna
I've seen the factory OEM LCA's a few times.....is it possible to get rid of the weak link (Ball joint) and *somehow* have a better one put in? I know it sounds primitive and all, and don't hate on me for suggesting it, just seems like a waste redesigning the rest of the arm when the bush and arm dont fail, just the one end.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
I've seen the factory OEM LCA's a few times.....is it possible to get rid of the weak link (Ball joint) and *somehow* have a better one put in? I know it sounds primitive and all, and don't hate on me for suggesting it, just seems like a waste redesigning the rest of the arm when the bush and arm dont fail, just the one end.

looked into that too :(

since the strut (shockies and spring) is pushing the control arm down, the hub/knuckle is pulling the ball joint up.. and as we all know.. there had been occasion where the all ball joint got pulled out from their socket.. or like mine sheared off..

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
I don't know if this will help anyone, but I replaced my LCAs last year with the ebay World suspension items. After seeing them fail on a few cars, I replaced them with genuine items 6 months later to be safe. Jon who replaced them said they still looked in pretty good condition, where when he replaced JB's arms, they looked like they were near failure. I know he does track days and stuff, where my car is basically a daily and doesn't really get driven hard.

I think whether you have genuine or non-genuine, they will eventually get worn out depending on kms and how your drive the car.

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
While I am interested in what you are trying to achieve here Christian, I agree with Steve's comment above, its all down to the fact that they wear out on our cars.

I know that they are the same as the 7g galants, but I havent seen any failures of the type we are talking about on them, but because they are a lighter car, that they wont have the same issue?

Also the fact that there seems to be more catastrophic failures in Aus vs NZ and the UK might be due to the fact you dont have the WOF/MOT inspections every 6 months/year?

Just some thoughts in an otherwise interesting thread. :)

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
Nsw has inspections each year and suspension movement is checked but only by jacking the car up. Sorry offtopic.... :)

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
Nsw has inspections each year and suspension movement is checked but only by jacking the car up. Sorry offtopic.... :)

QLD doesn't have that kind of stuff.. we only have RWC when you buy a car..

also.. Front left knuckle (with ABS) and Front Left Control arm is on its way :)

I told the seller to put the RH aside for me... as its a little hard to get hold of the knuckle with the ABS sensors..

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
control arm and hub arrived last week..

hoping that I can try and test fit it this coming weekend.. Paulie?

41c6575d.jpg

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
so down for this. gotta rip some other stuff out mine first then we can fit it up.

should see if john's coilovers fit.

lathiat

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trent Lloyd
Drive
97 Legnum (Manual)
Keen for results.. what was the landed cost for 1 side?

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
I would be concerned that the JDM strut towers are not designed to withstand the extra abuse from handling alignment requirements as well. As I understand it, the front is different on the USDM model due to front impact requirements, it is plausible that they reinforced the strut towers to handle more stress.

I don't think Mitsubishi used sub-standard materials, it is just that they initially had a problem with the seal which protected the joint. So they did a recall and fixed it. I have still yet to see or hear of a OEM LCA failing without giving ample warning.
Checking them every 6 months is an easy way to keep on top of the situation. Better still, every time you have your wheels off the ground, check for bearing, LCA and tie rod play. Not only is it a good habit, catching the problem early will save a lot of tyre life, potentially at more cost than that of the suspension components.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
nah... it didn't.. simply because the rear part is alot further out and no bolt holes matches..

also im still looking into this..

Top Bottom