Front turbo leak - how serious is this?

G

Unregistered
I just had RACV do a comprehensive check on my car - the only thing that was highlighted as something to look at immediately was a front turbo leak :confused:

Its still a 'pending sale' based on the outcome of this inspection - what do you think I should have them do? On one hand, most cars have little leaks, and I dont want them to pull the whole motor apart, possibly causing other issues when putting it back together, just for some oil. But obviously I dont want my new VR4 to explode either haha.

I also know not everyone likes RACV and they do cover their asses because of the warranty they give you - so maybe the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Just wondering if anyone might know the scale of such a problem, what the ballpark figures of turbo leak related problems might be, and where in Melbourne Metro would you recommend getting it looked at down the road.

Cheers!

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
first of all where is the leak exactly? Is it in the exhaust manifold, intake piping, compressor outlet, exhaust downpipe?

G

Unregistered
Hmm.. I have no idea as its not on the report. Doh! Maybe they just saw some oil and dont actually know which area its from. They just said 'up in the front' when I asked.

Grr.

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
Ask the seller.
If they're confident nothing is wrong with the turbos, get them to write that into the bill of sale.

G

Unregistered
a turbo rebuild is anywhere from $250 to $1000 depending on how bad it is,
mine leak a little untill the cars warmed up and all the seals have expanded,

nothing to worry about as long as the car isnt pumping purple smoke out the rear end constantly.

G

Unregistered
Sweet guys thanks a lot - they're going to hoist it up and take a look, fix what they can. Apparently the turbos are covered under warranty anyways so its no dramas.

Can't wait to get my hands on this baby! Pics next week.

G

Unregistered
Turbo leaks can happen on cars running higher boost with smal turbos. For instance on my old s14 200sx when I had the stock turbo on it and running 14psi, it used to shake loose, I ended up having to redrill larger holes in the manifold. So it really depends on where the leak is ...
Can u hear the turbo leaking ? It sounds awesome ... like u have a massive turbo ... not so awesome when u have to spend heaps to fix it though ... lol

G

Unregistered
if the turbo is loud as fuck its prob on its way out.. as brad said were is the leak???? if it a little oil i think it should be fine, just make sure they check everything is ok...
p.s dealers have warrantys but the get out of them.. (e.g) " the turbo blew up cause you were thrashin it" or some shit like that.. it has happened b4..
good luck anyway..

Nash

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Craig
Drive
1988 Honda CRX (Series 2)
1998 FL Legnum VR-4
2012 Kia Optima Platnum
Funny you should mention this because my front turbo leaked. It turns out that the dope in Japan who owned it took off the outlet pipes that run to the intercooler (Hard pipes) and didn't undo the bolt that holds the Oring end in the turbo. So the flange was broken and it was leaking past the Oring.

Then along came Chemiweld ! :D

I just can't do the bolt up tight, or I will break the repair. But at least my car is more economical now, has a bit more power and doesn't sound like a box of ten thousand snakes when you plant the throttle..:p

Ha warranty, whats that ?

G

Unregistered
Snickells: From Kamikaze - I couldn't import direct as I'm getting a novated lease and the finance companies wouldn't do it. So buying local was my only option :\ I paid more but hey at least I could test drive it etc. beforehand I guess. And its better than buying a local car

trounced

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
1997 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4
they arent just talking about the boost leaking are they there was no mention of an oil leak in the turbo just that it was a front turbo leak what if its just air leaking out of the intercooler or somthing like that might have taken a stone hit could be a simple fix

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
Sounds like the RAC guy who inspected the car has no idea what he was on about.

As the first few replies stated, a "leaky turbo" could be anything and from anywhere. Just make sure the warranty covers it all before you lay down cash ;)

trounced

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
1997 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4
or take it to a proper mechanic that actually knows what a grey import is

we decided not to have anything to do with NRMA/RACQ when they wouldnt insure our Delica (mitsubishi all wheel drive turbo diesel people mover) we still keep getting mail asking us to come back and i keep thinking i should just reply with a rude letter saying i would have if you would isure the car i drive.

find a real mechanic that at least knows about turbo cars they will have a better look at it

Top Bottom