Galant based AWD FTO...

G

Unregistered
Gday guys…

I know another AWD thread, but this time im going a bit different… Rather then the usual EVO4/2/7 etc discussion, im talking about Galant running gear.
A concern that I’ve had is there is no evidence of the EVO gearbox actually bolting up to the 6a12 engine… I just haven’t been able to find one that’s been done… its all theory…

However I have witnessed a couple of 6a13tt engines bolted up to the FTO manual box… all havnt had a drama. So im a little more confident about it.

Aside from that, I’ve already confirmed my interest in a 6a13tt box that Bennoz is holding onto for me. So that’s a definite.

Running gear wise, I’ve got a guy in Brisbane that’s got an entire VR4 Galant including chassis and running gear…. Looking at $3k for it, so sounds like a good deal…

My main concern is that all my research has been based around welding up an evo 4 rear floorpan to the FTO… I do not know if the Galant one will fit…

Im assuming because its custom anyway, its got about the same chances. But im trying to limit any chances of things going wrong, as they inevitably will.

Does anybody know much about the compatibility of the FTO + VR4?

I really think it may end up being a case of buying all the shit for it, and just taking it to a race car fabricator and saying “Make it fit”….

Anybody have any opinions? Advice? Knowledge? They might be able to share with me on this?

-Sam

G

Unregistered
Thanks for the help...

I know the engine bolts up to the gearbox... no problems there... I've driven two 6a13tt powered FTOs... and know them intimately...

The compatibility im reffering to is the rear end...

99% of my concerns are in the rear end...

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Sam, may I suggest..

jack up your car as high as possible and of course put it on car/jack stands.. then take photos of the rear driveline assembly.. also the middle section of your floor plan running from the front to the rear.. also measure them.. depth of the arch and how wide it is..

take photos of possible bolt holes.. fuel lines.. see if its in the way... as well as electrics and abs/brake lines..

I'm pretty sure you know your stuff cause you won't be doing this AWD conversion and worrying about it unless you've got a mech who's doing all the running around and all.. Just thought i'd give you my suggestion..

Top Bottom