Galant vr4 cuts out after a few minutes of idling

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
Galant VR4 twin turbo 1997
It's the 2 pin housing connector, the other single pin sensor is for the gauge, this one affects the ECU if faulty or unplugged.

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
Someone else covered fuel pressure but not sure if you have a regulator with gauge to actually see you have pressure.
You could always crack a fuel line when it does shut down and check for residual pressure.

barreh13a

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Harrison
Drive
96 black manual galant vr4, 99 silver mirage vrx, 99 white eco 6, 03 red 4g69 swapped mirage
Replaced cam sensor tonight, still no go, have a few more things to check before I decide to part it out :(

barreh13a

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Harrison
Drive
96 black manual galant vr4, 99 silver mirage vrx, 99 white eco 6, 03 red 4g69 swapped mirage
started the car this morning, ran fine again. this time tried wiggling any part of the loom in the engine bay, the ecu is currently plugged in on the passenger floor, as soon as i touched that the car died. going to wait a few hours and try again to confirm it wasn't just a coincidence but its now looking like a bad ecu connector or the ecu itself being the issue

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
Did you mention water or moisture near the ecu area at some stage? Was this coolant or some condensation of sorts?
I don't think it's good practise to run the car without the ECU grounded. Perhaps make up a lead or try using the earthing wire if it reaches far enough.

barreh13a

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Harrison
Drive
Yeah there was water condensation on the inside of the fire wall, heater core isn’t hooked up at the moment as they heater core plastic pipes had already broken on the previous owners a couple years ago

the ecu is grounded through the loom, the metal plates holding the ecu down isn’t connected to the circuit board in anyway so it’s okay to have it sitting, plus, it was still doing this when it was bolted in in the first place, I only took it out to open it up to see if there was any obvious issue

It’s in an awkard spot for me to diagnose anything so I think I’ll remove the lower portion of the dash to get a better look at everything

barreh13a

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Harrison
Drive
Well, I’m all out of ideas, started the car again this afternoon, jiggled ecu and it still ran fine, let it sit and idle some more and it died a minute after

barreh13a

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Harrison
Drive
Have you actually tried another ECU?
No not yet, there's a wrecker in sa with a manual legnum which i might go grab this week, if the ecu doesn't fix it then i know it has to be sensor/wiring related.

This one's a doozy! I did a job on someones magna once with this but it was a bad connection to the thermostat temp sensor. It was buggered and died on the wiggle test.
Just tried to start it without that sensor plugged in. Car didn't want to start. wiring passes the wiggle test but the sensor may be going bad as it starts to warm up, looking at replacing that next as they're pretty easy and cheap to get. Plugged it back in and it started fine so i at least know that the temp signal is required for it to run

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
Are you still using the dual speed fuel pump relay on the firewall? There are another 2 used in this circuit for the fuel fuel pump located below the head unit.
Either of these could be an issue and it may be worth checking them out.
You could also run a direct 12 Volt line to the pump temporarily just to eliminate it being a fuel problem/electric fault.

barreh13a

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Harrison
Drive
Tried a different coolant temp sensor and checked wiring, all ok, car ran fine and died as usual. Also checked service manual, sensor at 20 degrees c is around 2.5 k ohms, so tried a 2 k ohm resistor i had laying around. Idle stayed rock steady before cutting out and backfiring.

I Know i don't get any spark after the car dies, i haven't checked fuel yet as a cut in the fuel pump wouldn't suddenly kill the motor it would ween off the fuel and keep trying to fire i would think. But will double check when i can

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
Coils are fired from crank angle sensor.
Cam angle sensor used to find cyl 1 TDC.

You only mentioned that you tried cam sensor?

barreh13a

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Harrison
Drive
tried a new ecu, ecu worked when i plugged it in, ran for a minute or so but now when i bring up the revs the battery light turns on. turned off the car, unplugged battery, had a fiddle to see if there was anything unplugged or maybe damaged when i removed the aftermarket immobiliser, made sure there were no exposed wires. tried to start it again and it wouldn't fire.

I also noticed a few days back that the central locking no longer works, and neither does any of the interior lights. There is also quite a lot of condensation now under the dash like on the heater box, and the back of the firewall has droplets of water on it. Looks like the gutter tray is rusted out around the blower fan which is where i assume the moisture is getting in. getting closer and closer to parting it out, this car is breaking me.

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
That's not good to hear. Is there no one in your region that can lend a hand?
Have you timed the actual run time , is it the same time length each time?

barreh13a

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Harrison
Drive
Going to try and get a refund from the wrecker for the ecu as they did tell me the car was manual but when I got there it was an auto converted car, so I should be fine on that end

I’ll buy a crank sensor but after that I have no idea short of replacing the wiring loom

mezje

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Maxim
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Manual
Going to try and get a refund from the wrecker for the ecu as they did tell me the car was manual but when I got there it was an auto converted car, so I should be fine on that end

I’ll buy a crank sensor but after that I have no idea short of replacing the wiring loom
Fingers crossed, I'm hopeful.

barreh13a

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Harrison
Drive
Had a thought about fuel pump, checked the relay and tried another pair of relays, for under the dash, same deal, however I noticed when the car is running, the power into the relay is 12v or so, but the power out the relay going to the fuel pump is around 8.5v

Not sure if this is normal or it’s indicating that maybe the fuel pump has had it, unsure how it would be causing such a sudden shutoff, but might see if I can hook up another fuel pump to the filter and try and run the car off that

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
Sounds normal, are you still using the big chunky ballast resistor on the firewall?

barreh13a

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Harrison
Drive
Sounds normal, are you still using the big chunky ballast resistor on the firewall?
Yeah, that’s still on the firewall? Double checked fuel pump, when the car cuts there’s still fuel coming out the return so it’s not like the fuel pump is starving the engine and then it shuts off

kc427

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
KC
Drive
VR4
Yeah, that’s still on the firewall? Double checked fuel pump, when the car cuts there’s still fuel coming out the return so it’s not like the fuel pump is starving the engine and then it shuts off
Forgot you told us or not, when the car cuts the fuel pump still pump fuel, so how about the spark? Do all three coils still output sparks? It's better check all three, not just one of them, to be sure there are sparks from all three coils.

Top Bottom