Galant vr4 cuts out after a few minutes of idling

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
Galant VR4 twin turbo 1997
I think once it cuts out the only ignition signal you can measure is the the 12 volt power source at the coil plugs. There should still be power across pins 2 and 3, the 2 thicker wires.

kc427

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
KC
Drive
VR4
I think once it cuts out the only ignition signal you can measure is the the 12 volt power source at the coil plugs. There should still be power across pins 2 and 3, the 2 thicker wires.
Sorry, I mean when cracking the engine, are all coils output the sparks when cracking after it shuts down?

barreh13a

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Harrison
Drive
96 black manual galant vr4, 99 silver mirage vrx, 99 white eco 6, 03 red 4g69 swapped mirage
yeah still getting constant power to the coil, just no signal, just checked to confirm,

also tried unplugging the etacs to see if that made a difference, it didnt,

the time it takes for it to shut off is getting shorter and shorter, today it took 20 seconds for it to cut out after starting from cold,

last option is the crank sensor, just going to have to order one and hope that's it

barreh13a

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Harrison
Drive
96 black manual galant vr4, 99 silver mirage vrx, 99 white eco 6, 03 red 4g69 swapped mirage
to further add information, the dash lights don't light up when starting the car, the needles light up but its not until you bring the revs up that the dash lights kick on, i'm also still not getting any central locking of any kind

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
This is a nightmare. If it was the crank sensor I doubt it would start. The dash lights being off suggest some part of the ignition system is inoperative.
Can I ask when it dies, either after 2 minutes or 20 seconds will it start up again immediately or is there a waiting period?
Would you say it's easier in cold weather or got weather to start it?

barreh13a

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Harrison
Drive
Yeah, it won’t start when the crank sensor is unplugged but if the signal is not correct but still sending a signal then I could see if causing an issue

it’s taken around an hour to be able to restart, either with or without the battery disconnected

Weather doesn’t seem to effect, rain or not

mezje

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Maxim
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Manual
It might be good to know that no spark after the engine shut off, at least most likely it is not related to fuel system stuffs. If no spark, assuming no spark on all three coils, not just particular one coil you tested. If say, one coil failure after it is hot enough, 6 cyc -> 4 cyc, probably cannot start again, so maybe can check all three coils with no spark after engine shut off. If no spark for all three coils, first check could be the IFS, and as @Baba Galant said bridging pin 3 and 4 to bypass the IFS, but you said you did that already. Maybe you can also check each of the coil pin 3, and see any voltage, maybe 12v or 5v when cranking. If no voltage at all three coils, check back on the ECU side, C-31 pin 10,11,23, and again to see any voltage when cranking. Normal, should have some voltage when cranking. If no voltage at all, that means ECU not sending any signal out at all, and need to check "upward" and check what cause ECU sending no signal to coils.

I also suggest you to check the common ground as well, that's the ground point near the ABS pump, wiper motor. If rusting or bad grounding, it might also be a problem. Also check there is good ground on each of the coil pin 2.

Did you ever try above or another ECU?

The time thing is interesting, makes me think it could be a cap or something.

I wonder if the time until you can start it again would be reset by disconnecting the battery and starting it again.

kc427

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
KC
Drive
VR4
Would that be the Ignition Failure Sensor problem? The one which is on top of engine cover. Is it possible it fails when engine is hot enough, and back to work after cool down?

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
Starting to sound like a Holden crank sensor that needs hot water poured over it to start. It's sounds like a contraction issue where there may be a grounded signal wire. I know if the tacho signal grounds the car dies and won't start.

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
Have you tested the rear end of the ignition barrel? When tackling a dud immobiliser last year I also removed the turbo timer, the contacts and connector housing where cooked.
Opened up the ignition switch which was easy and in this case it was mint.
Wiring was rubbish, with solder joints and insulation tape.

IMG_20230823_125351.jpg
IMG_20230823_125320.jpg
IMG_20230823_125300.jpg

barreh13a

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Harrison
Drive
Finally resolved the issue, I don’t know how but the 100a fuse was blown, the car would still turn on but it wasn’t until the alternator was spinning that the ecu would get power and the rest of the car got enough power to sort of operate. The fuse always looked dodgy but as the car still ran and drove for a year before this issue I thought nothing of it, at least I can get back to tidying up the car…

Top Bottom