Galant V Legnum Handling

G

Unregistered
I know that there is a thread on this but its a little old <a href="http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248&highlight=galant+handling">HERE</a> is the old thread

What do You all think about the handling in both the galant and the legnum. What one would be better for handling on hill climb tracks and other winding roads.

I dont need the wagon room now and I would rather have a galant as my first car was a galant. So now its down to the handling and looks (i do like the looks of the wagon most) what does everyone think??

G

Unregistered
Galant is better (completely UN-biased opinion) :D

I'm pretty sure the handling characteristics are that similar between the two as there is only a 50kg or so difference between them. But if you were looking at a track/hill-climb car and starting from scratch, and had the choice, then Facelift Type V Manual Galant would be best (cough cough :D) as its the lightest (1460kg). It doesn't have AYC but then I have the excuse that it's similar to the Evo RS :D

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Legnums do have a bit of scuttle shake due to not having any bracing between the tops of the rear suspension. This can easily be fixed by putting in a rear strut brace.

Legnums are about 50kg heavier but that only makes the car more neutral and less prone to understeer, especially in the case of a Type V Galant which doesn't have AYC.

Stephen is right though, a facelift manual galant without AYC is the lightest VR-4 possible :)

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
I'm biased. Like you, my first car was a Galant so I had to have a sedan!

I don't think the Legnums look better, just as good.. And although I haven't driven a Legnum to compare, I've gotta say the handling of my Galant is pretty stunning. Basically I don't think you'll be disappointed either way. So if your heart is set on a Galant simply because of the name, get a Galant!

And 50kg is a fair bit...

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
If you're not too worried about space, then go the galant Tommo - theres not enought of them in Adelaide. the galant boot is quite spacious anyway

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
get one AYC cause otherwise you may regret it later, and if you must have a manual then the decision has been made for you - a legnum.. (unless you went a pre-facelift galant)

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
I have found that the galant handles better than the leggie that i had(both cars close enough to std.. :p).

I found that the leggie was prone to sliding when it was being pushed....

Just my 2c...

J

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
My leggie has AYC and slides in the wet, but i drive it pretty hard too....

AYC makes the car unbelievably controllable though..... It assists your driving, it doesn't take over it.....

BTW - I have a facelift type s with lowered suspension (harder riding, more prone to slide since its been done....)

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I wouldn't be surprised - they've got a higher centre-of-gravity that's hard to eliminate... Unless you remake the car from the pillars up in CF or something :ROFLMAO:

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Dawso is spot on, my favourite thing about AYC compared to any stability control setup is that it doesn't limit or reduce power, it just moves it to the wheels that can use it most.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
I wouldn't be surprised - they've got a higher centre-of-gravity that's hard to eliminate... Unless you remake the car from the pillars up in CF or something :ROFLMAO:

:ROFLMAO:

You are on the ball today mate lol, thats gold

For everyone else on here its kinda a personal joke between me and Trev you may have picked up on already! ;)

G

Unregistered
Sweet as guy thanks for the imput this has made my mind up. A galant it is now for a another question

Is there any advantages of manual over a auto? A few ppl have said the motor is better suited to the auto box.

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
What do you prefer to drive? that's really a personal choice I think. 5sp Auto is great as a daily driver, 5sp manual would be more fun but a pain in peak hour traffic. Personally I went auto as the car is a daily driver to/from the City (~45-50 mins peak hour traffic @ 40kph max) so was obvoius choice for me.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I have a manual and spend a LOT of time on the road, I can't say it has ever crossed my mind that an auto might be 'better' being stuck in traffic... That's just lazy! :p

It really is a personal preference thing - manual can shift quicker (but that's down to the driver) and is much easier to service, auto in VR4's is quite good, they're built really strong but the torque converter seal is a pig of a job and probably the most common issue with these cars. But either way you go you'll be happy - neither is a 'bad' option :)

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Err shizzle, my bad thanks Brad.

I blame having a MT, therefore not having to care :p

That and reading the forums at midnight and getting five hours sleep :(

Top Bottom