Good place to powder/respray wheels?

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
Maza Astina 323, Merc C Kompressor
hi guys

Does anyone can recommend me a good place to have gutter damage repaired and get my wheels powdered/painted in gunmetal in Sydney?
and how much would i expect to pay per wheel?
cheers

G

Unregistered
just so you are aware, when items are have been coated,
they are baked in a oven at a high temperature, to harden the coating

this will soften the metal, making it easier to bend/buckle,

personally i wouldnt recommend powder coating mags,

i would have them painted.

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
Yellowpages+your postcode+"powdercoat"= what your after.

Should be between $30 and $60, per rim, depending on colour.

Good luck!

minik1971

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nigel
Drive
White 1990 BMW 535i was a Black 1998 Legnum FL (written off)
My brother does this so I could get them done free but postage to Tasmania would make it more $$$ anyway, but I thought it is worth mentioning that you may need to have them sand/soda blasted before they will powdercoat them.

Gly - It depends on the colour of the paint as to it's temp and I don't think it is done at that high of a temp in the oven.

G

Unregistered
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powder_coating

Normally the powders cure at 200°C (390°F) in 10 minutes. The curing schedule could vary according to the manufacturer's specifications

personally, i wouldnt powder coat any mag wheel, on the off chance it could get weakend by the heat,

painting is the safer option imo

3M-TA3

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Daniel
Drive
BLACK MANUAL '97 LEGNUM
check out 'star enamel' i have used him many times for other applications. was is a car spray painter but got bored, turned his skills to more detailed stuff on the side. does a good quality good value job. you will have to search for his details as i have not used them for a while.

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
I'd love to get mine done white, but I didn't know about the temperature thing. :(

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
I'll be getting mine done black next week, will post up the pics.

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
Powder mate, no quote as of yet, but $40-60 per wheel is what I've had mates quoted, so should be about right.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
Cool, cant wait to hear what you think. I am tossing up what i am going to do with mine.

M0R81U5

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mick
Drive
PFL Legnum
I've had wheels powdercoated previously with no noticeable side-effects.
As far as I'm aware, a lot of the finishes on wheels is powder anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Powder just gives a much tougher finish than paint, more resistant to scratching etc

I'm planning to get my Enkeis done as soon as I have the $$

Hank Scorpio

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lachlan
Drive
Mazda JC Cosmo, Mazda FC3C RX7 Convertible
Expect to pay up to $150 to get the job done if there is cosmetic damage to the wheels. To get it fixed, buffed back properly and painted isn't an easy $50 job.

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
I'm getting my badly guttered and even wonderfully buckled 5zigen gn+'s re-done to new for $220/corner. That includes power coating of course.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
Ok, so i got a quote this arv to get my wheels painted gloss black. I was quoted between $180-200 per rim. This price includes the following..

Drop car or rims off
Remove tyres and lead weight
Repair any cosmetic imperfections, i.e. gutter rash (major damage extra cost)
Remove all damaged/flaking old paint
Etch rims
Prime rims
Paint the entire rim in desired color (Dupont apparently) then bake
Use a clear enamel top coat (apparently high scratch/impact resistance) then bake
Replace tyres and re-balance rims
Fit back on car
12month warranty

Oh and was told they need the car/rims for 2-3 working days

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Seems quite expensive. That's more than what it is costing me to have my Work rims dismantled, tanked, alloy filled & polished to a chrome finish, then reassembled... Been quoted $550 for that.

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
Yeah thats mad, dropped mine off this week, getting done for $35/rim in satin black, although this is just for the powdercoating.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
Seems quite expensive. That's more than what it is costing me to have my Work rims dismantled, tanked, alloy filled & polished to a chrome finish, then reassembled... Been quoted $550 for that.

Yeah, that's what i thought. They ( Mag-It Wheels @ Helensvale ) are the first mob i have asked for a price.
I have no dramas attempting this myself, i have seen a coupe of youtube vids and i think i can manage, just not sure about dust or other contaminants getting involved.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
Yeah thats mad, dropped mine off this week, getting done for $35/rim in satin black, although this is just for the powdercoating.

They quoted me $70-80 for powder coating including all the other things i listed, apart from the painting part.

How did your's come out Madhav? I would still powder just from what i read and what this guy says, powder doesn't attach properly to alloy and chips easy (allegedly)

Top Bottom