had a flat tyre.. what should I do?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
had a flat tyre at the rear passenger side..

since the tyres in them still have good threads, i dont wanna replace all of them at this stage..

puncture on the tyre is on the sidewall which I think shop won't be able fix..

what do you guys I should do?

1. move the front tyres to the rear and get a 2x 2nd hand tyres with the same/similar amount of threads and fit it for the fronts?

or

2. I'm stuffed and need to get 4 new tyres?

Tyres are 235/45R17 fitted to the Evo 9 Enkei's..

RaZZa137

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Rowan
Drive
1998 PFL Legnum VR4 2012 Skoda Superb 1990 Suzuki GSF250
235/45R17 is a pretty common size, you should be able to pick up some cheap 2nd's pretty easily, quite a few commonwhores use that size

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Falcons too. Just make sure you get the same type of tyres all round. It is ok if you've got up to about 2mm more tread at one end of the car.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
Falcons too. Just make sure you get the same type of tyres all round. It is ok if you've got up to about 2mm more tread at one end of the car.

2mm hey.. that's good to know...

Brad.. when you say same type of tyres.. does that mean just the size? Which is 235/45R18..

trounced

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
1997 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4
you can fix side wall of tyres most good tyre repair places can do it, i didnt think you could but a mate purchased some tyres the other day second hand for his 4x4 it came with 3 good ones and one that had a side puncture, he got the puncture fixed for $60 odd i think and was rather happy with himself as they were really cheap

so get it checked before you decide, ask a few places some might some might not.

worse case replace 2 of them keep the other one as a spare tyre if it still has good tread.

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
.. does that mean just the size? Which is 235/45R18..

I second that question, you say they must match left and right but once again does that mean just size and tread or brand? I have a yokohama on front left and bridgestones on the other 3, all the same size and amount of tread left.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
I wasn't planning on just changing 1 tyre.. but 2.. worse case all 4 but can't really afford it at the moment..

also was thinking of moving the front tyres to the rear..

Frosty

Crunching Gears
First Name
Gary
Drive
Currant
M35 Stag. Soon to be White Legnum
Previous
Bayside Blue Pros Galant
White Legnum
If the hole is in the sidewall, the tyre is rooted. Do not try to have it repaired. It's not a question of if the repaired tyre will blow out, more so when it will blow out. Not worth it mate.
If you get 2 S/H tyres, put the best 2 matching tyres on the front.

Frosty

Crunching Gears
First Name
Gary
Drive
Currant
M35 Stag. Soon to be White Legnum
Previous
Bayside Blue Pros Galant
White Legnum
I second that question, you say they must match left and right but once again does that mean just size and tread or brand? I have a yokohama on front left and bridgestones on the other 3, all the same size and amount of tread left.

Basically need matching tyres on each axle. ie Yokohama front, Bridgestone rear.

At least put 2 Bridgestones on the front.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
i have more tread on my front left than any of the other tires... prob by about 2mm - so this is alright then? figured putting on the front shouldnt cause a drama... front right seems to be making a clicking, moreso if i turn left, and when jacked up it doesnt make any sound. removing the wheel and putting it back on stopped the noise for almost a week. Would this be related?

edit - to save time with suggestions, ive got pretty much brand new CV's its not those :D

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
Basically need matching tyres on each axle. ie Yokohama front, Bridgestone rear.

At least put 2 Bridgestones on the front.

but wouldn't the rear be more important to have the same tires on with ayc?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
I would keep the tyres all to the same model and size ideally. The AYC is sensitive to having different tyres on the rear wheels, those need to be within 1mm at all times, and different tread patterns will mess it up really quickly.

imho Christian if you can't get another matching tyre or two, you should replace all 4.

You should never have different makes and styles of tyres front and rear. You will have unpredictable handling.

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
Ok, for those who have brembos fitted on thier cars like me. Since our AYC are very sensitive, what will happen if we are to use the space saver wheel to replace a punctured tyre?

And since the spacesaver does not fit on the front due to restrictive space of the caliper and we had no choice than to place it at the rear.

Will this cause a massive problem?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
If we put it on the rear it would mess up the AYC above about 30kmh. What you do is put it on the front, but aimed around backwards :)

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
Ok, for those who have brembos fitted on thier cars like me. Since our AYC are very sensitive, what will happen if we are to use the space saver wheel to replace a punctured tyre?

And since the spacesaver does not fit on the front due to restrictive space of the caliper and we had no choice than to place it at the rear.

Will this cause a massive problem?

IMO, if you use the space-saver spare tyre that we have.. it'll cause HAVOC.. since evo rims/wheels are a little bit bigger than our factory wheels..

that's why Im not driving my car with the space saver..

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
I used to have different sized and patterned tyres front and rear on my old Leggie without any adverse affects at all....

Ie i had 205/55/16 Yokohamas on the front, and 215/55/16 Bridgestones on the back...

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Having different treads / brands / models etc front to rear will make it handle strangely, although you're unlikely to notice if you're just driving around the streets, especially if you've chosen similar compounds and performance. You should never have different brands / models / treads side-to-side though!! :banghead:

The space saver (and indeed any spare) will be perfectly fine as long as you drive like you're using a space saver / puncture repair kit - ie SLOWLY and very carefully. If you're doing 100 with a space saver on you're a lunatic with a death wish...

No tire shop should be offering to repair a sidewall puncture as the tire can no longer meet relevant safety standards. It can be done, yes, but its illegal and your insurance will not cover you if it fails and you have an accident.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
just an update..

I've been given a GO signal by the Finance Department that I can get 4 NEW tyres..

my budget is to keep it below $200 per tyre..

and at the moment my selections are these 2.. same brand but different model..

KumhoTyres.jpg

Price of tyres each are as follows..
KU37 @ $160.00
KU21 @ $130.00 plus postage of $100 for 4 tyres to Brisbane...

of course, fitment of each tyre isn't included..

Top Bottom