Hail from Brisbane!

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
yeah there is a guy with a 6g75 powered galant, but thats from a 380 which sits the right way in our bays. 3000gt's are backwards like you said

you might be able to make a frankenstien motor, 3.8L block, 3.0L dohc (late model) heads....4.2L stroker? :p

SATAN

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Tim
Drive
98 Legnum VR4
yeah there is a guy with a 6g75 powered galant, but thats from a 380 which sits the right way in our bays. 3000gt's are backwards like you said

you might be able to make a frankenstien motor, 3.8L block, 3.0L dohc (late model) heads....4.2L stroker? :p

For the love of christ, quit tempting me!!! haha

that setup + 1 GT35R40...all wheel powerskids, anyone?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
6G and 6A are not identical, so if you're planning on using the 6a13 head on the 6G72/4 goodluck :)

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
yeah 6g or 6a, pick one, cant mix'n'match.

maybe go 4g63 and a 64 block. 2.4L evo motor with option of 2.6L stroker.

Stanislav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Stan
Drive
2009 Audi S3
Thanks for all the support and suggestions guys! Il most likely just be doing a stock rebuild ás I want it to be reliable but itl all depend on the cost of forgies vs stock. Im taking out a personal loan to get this done so whatever money I dont end up using will go towards rims and a dvd headunit :)

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Forged will be reliable and strawng! Then you'll need two monster huffers to take advantage of your new bomb-proof internals. Go on man, may as well if it's gonna be apart anyway...#enablingpoverty :p

SATAN

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Tim
Drive
98 Legnum VR4
yep agree with volk man, if you are getting a loan, go all out, build the toughest leggy around!!!

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Satan's on your shoulder, whispering in your ear...he speaks truth. Surely it can't be much more than a stock rebuild. Surely ;)

Give in to the dark lord.

Stanislav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Stan
Drive
2009 Audi S3
oh so tempting!!! Ive been leaning towards the forged option this entire time lol my only compromise with not going forged is that id be able to get stuff like rims and other performance stuff with the money left over. Oh the dilemma! haha

All in all though forged seems like the most likely option.

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Haha never ask for money-saving advice here! :p

If I were in your position I would be very closely researching 4G63 options, like Paul said with the 2.4L option. The engine itself mightn't be all that cheap to get in and running but once you've got one, you know it'll go for yonks and future engine mods will be a lot cheaper and easier! And HUGE power :)

G

Unregistered
Think about it this way, sure you could skimp a bit on the rebuild and have money for rims and other mods straight away, or you could get the forged engine and save the money for rims and other parts after you get the forged engine, the rims etc can wait a bit longer but once you rebuild the engine it's going to cost even more to go down the forged path at a later date if you so decide.

Stanislav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Stan
Drive
2009 Audi S3
Well itl all depend on how much the forged option will set me back, if its under 8k then id proboably do that, but if a standard rebuild costs 4k then id go standard and use the 4k left over on rims and exhaust and other fun stuff. The thing is Im not chasing crazy power from the Legnum, Im only really planning the usual bolt on bits such as exhaust and maybe bigger turbos. In my case forging it will only really be for power reliability and not so much power head room.

Donkay

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Don
Drive
Mitsubishi RVR
I wouldn't go forged, why?

You've got Bretts old car yeah? Auto isn't it?

Let's break it down....
Forged motor 8.5k (id still allow extra $2000 for whatever reasons come up)
Turbo upgrades haven't been on your list yet and thats a $6xxx figure itself
Computer management $2300 ish unless flash tune, but still gotta pay for tuner $$$
Gearbox rebuild $2000 to get it strong as or manual conversion
And chuck in a good $3000 just for the variances

So really, id just chuck a replacement motor, as its not really common at all for our motor to fail (not that i heard of anyway)

But if you want to spend it, go for it

My 2cents

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
^ I agree that a forged 6A13 is probably not worthwhile

Stanislav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Stan
Drive
2009 Audi S3
I completely agree with you there Donkay.

They already make good power standard and come up great with just a tune and some simple bolt ons.

Id most likely just be freshening the motor up and have the head cleaned up. Especially since organising another motor could be a pain and then still id rather have the peace of mind knowing that mine will be fresh.

I miss my leggy so bad! Just want it back and running lol

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
I think another member (jungle) has a thread somewhere about rebuilding his 6A13, tidying it up a bit. Might be worth you looking over.

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Yeah ultimately I'm not giving financially sound advice, just being a dick :p

Stock is fine, save funds for bolt ons and tune. Easy formula for success.

Stanislav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Stan
Drive
2009 Audi S3
I have an update!

East Coast Customs have found that the timing marks and appear to line up except for one, which is about half a tooth out. Does anyone know with any certainty what tolerance 6a13s have for this?
The head mechanic said generally half a tooth is within tolerance but isn't sure whether that applies to these motors. I have given the go ahead to begin pulling the head off and have a look at the valves to see whether something else could have caused the problem.

Top Bottom