Head unit install - Removing console?

G

Unregistered
I must be blind, or its just really easy - but I cant find a guide on how to remove the center console to install a single din head unit?

I haven't had a close look yet, is it easy to get off and get in there?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
you first lift your gear stick surround off.. then you can pull out the console.. i think there's a guide for it.. :D

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
i thought it was hard to do at first but ive taken it off about 8 times in the last week wiring up a 4 way amp and upgrading the headunit.

you only need 2 tools, philips screwdriver and a butter knife

the whole thing is held in with little clips but they seem very strong so unless you do it wrong you wont break them,like christian said,take the the lower gear stick surround out first using the butter knife because it slots into the rest of the centre console,then up just above where the headunit goes use the butter knife to pop the clips out on weither side and you can do it all from there,unclip the wires going into the back of it and have fun,just remember to clip them back up once you're done or you wont have aircon

G

Unregistered
Thanks, sounds easy!

Only problem is now, the dog eat my new car stereo. Mr Fedex left it on the door step, the mutt pulled it apart, chewed on the remote and shredded the wires and harness! :(

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Not good!

Just make sure you don't lever too hard from the bottom of the console - mine is cracked because some twit pulled from the bottom which bent the top where it was still connected, cracking one of the sides. As James said, use a butter knife to pop the clips out as you go and you won't have any dramas :)

trounced

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
1997 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4
id be taking that up with the delivery man most deliverys require a signature and if he didnt get one then they are liable for its replacement

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
Only problem is now, the dog eat my new car stereo. Mr Fedex left it on the door step, the mutt pulled it apart, chewed on the remote and shredded the wires and harness!

well thats sux,getting the console out is the least of your worries

Top Bottom