Unplug battery during head unit install?

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
Found alot of useful info on here regarding a head unit install but I could find out if I need to unplug the battery or not while Im doing it?

cittris

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tristian
Drive
2001 Tarmac Black Evo VII
I installed my new headunit last friday and i did NOT disconnect the battery. As long as you are careful you shouldn't have any problems

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
just to be safe.. i'd disconnect it.. or even just the fuse at the fuse block

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Depends on whether you want to risk blowing fuses and feeling what 12V is like through your hands mate.

Smart answer is it's a good idea until you have the wiring done.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
if ur just plugging cables in, u should be fine (as long as u dont have the keys in and ignition on). if ur soldering, def disconnect it.

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
i took tin snips to the loom with battery in just in a rush and totally not thinking. bye bye 3 or 4 fuses.

may as well to be safe

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S
Safer to take it off, do the work and realise you didn't need to than to not take it off, do the work and find out you should've.

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
Maza Astina 323, Merc C Kompressor
i have blown few fuses plus some sparks on the fingertips. not a pleasant experience. I agree with the part where soldering and leave it till all the wireing are layed if you like.
I used a hand held drill once and.. long story short, do not take the risk.

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
Got it sorted thanks guys. Will add a photo to my members ride when I get chance but its nothing fancy anyway just a head unit...

cowabunga438

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
marty
Drive
1997 Galant VR4 and a very old cordia turbo
Depends on whether you want to risk blowing fuses and feeling what 12V is like through your hands mate.

12 V through your hands won't feel like anything.

With the ignition off there is only one live 12v wire in the stereo harness (the permanent 12v connection).

If all you are doing is plugging in a new harness there is no need to unplug the battery.

If you are doing cutting / soldering etc inside the dash on the harness, then you might want to take the fuse out. If the 12V line touches something else or the ground plane you could possibly do some damage or blow a fuse.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Just a question for everyone who wouldn't disconnect the battery, can I ask why?

It takes 5 seconds to do it, and ensures the security of your electrical system. It has no detrimental effect on the vehicle, unless you forget to connect it again (Lolz), and its also something I do at every service anyway just to "refresh" the computer....

Just a thought

harry

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Harry
Drive
Patrol, Sil80, Legnum VR4 TypeS
Just a question for everyone who wouldn't disconnect the battery, can I ask why?

1) because there's no need... that would be my main reason.
2) easier to distinguish the constant 12v from the switched 12v if the battery is connected.
3) easier to test the stereo before bolting it in.
4) there's no need
5) my auto would un-learn everything
6) I've never blown a fuse installing stereos in my last 4 or 5 cars in as many years.

have NFI what soldering has to do with having the battery connected or not. its not like welding.

cowabunga438

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
marty
Drive
1997 Galant VR4 and a very old cordia turbo
1)

have NFI what soldering has to do with having the battery connected or not. its not like welding.

My only thought was that if you have a number of exposed wires you might accidentally touch the permanent 12V to something it oughtn't or the ground.

Even then it is unlikely anything would happen. However that is the only reason I said you might remove the fuse if you were doing extensive in dash work and not just plugging a harness in.

Having said that I have never disconnected the battery.

G

Unregistered
i do this for a job. and ive never disconnected the battery for a stereo install . you shoudnt have a problem with leaving it all live :)

Riley

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Riley
Drive
96 Legnum vr4
i do this for a job. and ive never disconnected the battery for a stereo install . you shoudnt have a problem with leaving it all live :)

ill 2nd that......you shouldnt have bare wires anyway as you shouldnt cut the plug off

also makes it alot harder to work out power, acc, etc

Riley

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Riley
Drive
96 Legnum vr4
yes from a safety point of view its advised to disconnect it, but if you arent cutting the plug (allows you to plug the factory unit back in for sale) then it shouldnt be too much on an issue

if you just strip one wire at a time with the power, etc it will be fine unless you purposely put the + ive to ground

Top Bottom