Ernz1981

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ernz
Drive
1997 Galant VR4
Hello Larissa,

Welcome.....

Guess it's good that you know of these issues and they will be sorted before buying. Bear in mind sometimes just sorting these out takes time off the road..it can get annoying.

Dunno about in QLD...i had to fork out $400 to fit some 3 point immobiliser for insurance as well...coz ppl don't steal cars in Japan. So budget for that too...

- Ernz

Mel-D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mel
Drive
2012 Ford Focus ST Manual,Tangerine. Evo 6 Blue manual.Had 2004 XR6 Falcon M11 Auto,Yellow GT stripes. 1999 Legnum Manual,White
Do you mind me asking how much you paid for the car? PM me if you like...

I'm very curious what you paid for it too and has it had the 100k service done because this is one of the first things that should be done as it can costs close to $2k.What dealer are you getting it from?
Cheers Mel

Lissa

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Larissa
Drive
1999 Mitsubishi legnum
excited getting it tomorrow!! and its had a full service and rwc done today. will be putting the spark plugs and oil cooler in this or next weekend, and will be enjoying driving it to work. was excellent timing as the evo x goes in to get fixd from thurs through till tues.

G

Unregistered
excited getting it tomorrow!! and its had a full service and rwc done today. will be putting the spark plugs and oil cooler in this or next weekend, and will be enjoying driving it to work. was excellent timing as the evo x goes in to get fixd from thurs through till tues.

Great news mate, I couldn't get the stupid grin off my face for the first month I had my VR-4. If you had a tranny service done did you make sure they used Mitsubishi ATF SPIII? Was it the 100k service or does that still need doing?

Lissa

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Larissa
Drive
1999 Mitsubishi legnum
Why only use the mitsu ATF fluid is brands like Castro ect no good?

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
From what I read on here, no. Genuine SPIII from Mitsubishi is the only fluid to use in the auto boxes.

G

Unregistered
Why only use the mitsu ATF fluid is brands like Castro ect no good?

General conclusion through many different people's experiences is that any ATF other than Amsoil or Mitsubishi SPIII will damage and/or destroy your transmission in no time at all. I have not personally experienced this but read countless threads confirming it and went with the Mitsi SPIII to be safe.If you are not sure or you know its something else, personally I would flush the transmission immediately with Mitsi stuff and refill it, making sure I flushed enough through to remove all the previous fluid. Sorry to be all doom and gloom but better safe than sorry. If this is misinformation someone please correct me.

G

Unregistered
Using anything other than the designated Mitsubishi SP-III (or one of the few ATFs that meets this spec) will have different friction characteristics which, in the short term will cause harsher shifts, increased wear, confuse the TCU and result in possible higher operating temperatures. In the long term it will reduce the life-span of your transmission. Considering a huge number of Mitsubishis and Hyundais run transmissions requiring SP-III, I have to wonder if these mechanics are living under a rock.

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
the mitsu sp3 fluid, just like all of mitsus oem fuilds is castrol/bp stuff. i've also seen/heard mitsu dealerships using castrol and the likes cos they buy one of those massive 40gal drums of it.

when i did work experience at a subaru dealership, they used whatever they could get provided it met spec, never the 5l bottle of the oem fluids that we got in and buy.

castrol equiv is TQM-ST. Used this in the past in my old magna, old excel and my girlfriends current excel. the mitsu fluid is cheaper than castrol branded stuff from memory.

Lissa

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Larissa
Drive
1999 Mitsubishi legnum
Ok then where can we get the mitsubish stuff from I'll just need it when installing the oil cooler and may as well flush it as well. I don't wanna put bad shit in and break something

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
Find a mitsi dealer/service center, they will have it. Think you need about 9l of it.

G

Unregistered
~12L or more if you are doing a flush, the transmission capacity itself is 8.9L once the torque converter etc is full.

Lissa

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Larissa
Drive
1999 Mitsubishi legnum
sounds good only 1 hr 15mins till i leave work then to get the money from the bank and will be on my way to get the car :D

Lissa

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Larissa
Drive
1999 Mitsubishi legnum
Awesome I finally have it and freaking LOVE it :D will post pics soon an make a ride thread

Top Bottom