HELP: Blocked Turbo Coolant Line

GLen20

Barring Up
Premium Member
First Name
Glenn
Drive
2002 Type S Galant, Ducati Streetfighter 848, 1971 2 Door LC Torana (in pieces)
Hi guys,
Found a small puddle of coolant under the Galant a few days ago.
Traced it to the front turbo coolant line leaking from where the rubber hose joins the hard line from the turbo.
I'm guessing this is the return line as it goes to near the top radiator hose.

But, when I went to replace the hose I found this (Fuck):
DSC_1744.JPG

The connection to the thermostat housing was completely blocked full of this black crap.

My questions is:
Any thoughts what could have caused this?
I've cleaned it all out with a drill bit and flushed it all.
Car has probably been like this for a while. Could there be long term damage?

Thanks All :)

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Hi guys,
Found a small puddle of coolant under the Galant a few days ago.
Traced it to the front turbo coolant line leaking from where the rubber hose joins the hard line from the turbo.
I'm guessing this is the return line as it goes to near the top radiator hose.

But, when I went to replace the hose I found this (Fuck):

The connection to the thermostat housing was completely blocked full of this black crap.

My questions is:
Any thoughts what could have caused this?
I've cleaned it all out with a drill bit and flushed it all.
Car has probably been like this for a while. Could there be long term damage?

Thanks All :)
That is strange as the feed is from just after the top hose. What does the rest of the coolant look like in the radiator- is it discoloured?
Do you have a pic of the inside of the water hose that came off? I am wondering if its an internal failure of the hose.

If you end up needing the entire manifold section, I have one, if you can't replace the barb

GLen20

Barring Up
Premium Member
First Name
Glenn
Drive
2002 Type S Galant, Ducati Streetfighter 848, 1971 2 Door LC Torana (in pieces)
DSC_1743.jpg
The coolant from the turbo line looked ok + the radiator fluid was also clean.
The hose felt really shit and crunchy so hopefully Simon you're right and just a perished hose?
Similar line to the rear turbo felt ok (normal) when squeezed.
Am worried about what this means for the front turbos health potentially not having any cooling. But did read that some 4WD guys actually delete the water cooling and just idle down their turbos like an 80's oil cooled unit.
So this (top hose) is the feed line to turbo?
Was thinking that this black shit was oil (blown turbo seal?), but then would be chocolate milk mixed with coolant.... and I read that blown turbo seal = smoke.
I've cleaned the barb + flushed and fitted a silicon hose, any advice or previous experience with something like this welcome

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
The coolant from the turbo line looked ok + the radiator fluid was also clean.
The hose felt really shit and crunchy so hopefully Simon you're right and just a perished hose?
Similar line to the rear turbo felt ok (normal) when squeezed.
Am worried about what this means for the front turbos health potentially not having any cooling. But did read that some 4WD guys actually delete the water cooling and just idle down their turbos like an 80's oil cooled unit.
So this (top hose) is the feed line to turbo?
Was thinking that this black shit was oil (blown turbo seal?), but then would be chocolate milk mixed with coolant.... and I read that blown turbo seal = smoke.
I've cleaned the barb + flushed and fitted a silicon hose, any advice or previous experience with something like this welcome
If you can, change the rear one as well, if one is gone the other won't be far away- plus it's good to do it while you're thinking of it,. People seem to remember to change the 2 radiator hoses but not the couple of turbo hoses.

With the turbo. You might be ok if it's been without cooling. It may just reduce the life of the oil,seal. May have worked the oil a harder than normal by transferring more heat.
It's always a good idea to let the car idle for around 30 seconds. This helps the turbo spin down before taking its oil supply way, helps reduce coking and It's not hard to do.

Top Bottom