HELP ME START A PROJECT??

Fully

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Shane
Drive
99 Galant VR4
cheers guys for the help... finally have the new legnum in my driveway... very happy with it... classic no clock working... and the t.v dvd installtion is FREAKIN over the top.
adapters and wires everywhere... gona take it to a place and get it all removed i recon.... unless sum1 on here in sa wants to help?? haha i did the install dvd/sub/amp in my other legnum myself... with easy but this new one is beyond the joke.

Hehe rip it all out and start again =)
will save you a few hundred kg's =)

ASH STEEVO

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
VR4PLAY aka ASH
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S - VR4PLAY
haha gd call gettin a pro custom install now man so gonna let them tackle it... i had a look last night and its beyond the worst i thought it was...
i feel like before the stole it they took all the good shit out... ie its got stock speakers
with a pioneer cddeck + full hardcore pioneer satnav above it...nd a t.v splitter dvd stacker under the set... see you bye... cant wait for the projob. doin sum sweet work in the boot.

ASH STEEVO

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
VR4PLAY aka ASH
Drive
gday guys... cars in the shop gettin mad service n cooler done... so i drew up this list.
can some people give me sum ideas or what to get for each??... im ready to go shopping for everything so.
also any comments to what i shud chop and change on the list welcome.

im headin for a 200+kw... as far as i can get ready without forging and turbo upgrade. cheers

PLANNED MODS.

ENGINE:
STAGE1.
Exhaust + Down/Dump Pipes. HifloCat.
Intercooler *got my old PRO's piping going in...Oh Yeah!
A/T Cooler
Engine Oil cooler.
Blow off Valve - HKS SQV?
throttle body
Fuel Pump
Injectors/Leads/Plugs
FPR

Not sure what to do aircleaner wise??

STAGE2.
Tein SS coilovers
D2 8pot fronts + Rear Setup
Cusco front and rear sway bar. + underbrace. Rear brace.

RESEARCH INTO BOOSTING.

FINAL STAGE.
Simple Boost Setup.
manual boost controller, dual stage.
missile swtich setup.
Analog boost gauge
ECU Tune/Reflash - SKR.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Ash, I'll stick to the safe side.. do your brakes first if you're after that much power... :)

and my answer to your questions..

ENGINE:
STAGE1.
Exhaust + Down/Dump Pipes. HifloCat. $1000
Intercooler *got my old PRO's piping going in...Oh Yeah!
A/T Cooler $100- $200 dependent on what you buy (size and brand)
Engine Oil cooler. $100- $200 dependent on what you buy (size and brand)
Blow off Valve - HKS SQV? $350 for a genuine unit + adaptor/s if you want it recirc
throttle body - if you find one.. let me know :)
Fuel Pump -$150 - $250 Walbro, Power Enterprise, Bosch?
Injectors/Leads/Plugs Injectors, $600-800 Leads $200?! Plugs $100-$150
FPR - $150 + adaptors and hoses?

Not sure what to do aircleaner wise??

STAGE2.
Tein SS coilovers
D2 8pot fronts + Rear Setup Brakes should be your first mode..
Cusco front and rear sway bar. + underbrace. Rear brace. Swaybars $650 including postage? under body brace, dunno I suggest you get your control arm's ball joints checked out first and replaced if needed

RESEARCH INTO BOOSTING.

FINAL STAGE.
Simple Boost Setup. stick with a quality EBC..
manual boost controller, dual stage. why use manual if you want a good simple setup?
missile swtich setup. I assume it is for dual stage boost control - if you buy a quality ebc, they usually have this function
Analog boost gauge just make sure you buy a quality analog one, some el cheapo are not that accurate..
ECU Tune/Reflash - SKR. good call

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
D2 brakes :/

who makes them?

SSQV will set you back around $400 with all the adaptors etc

also, replace your suspension like christian said.

aircleaner wise = stock airbox with panel filter, or battery to boot and a pod/pipe setup

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Would try to steer clear of a VTA BOV if you're just aiming for better outputs and not the wank factor. Also as Christian said there's really no point in buying a manual boost controller if you want maximum tunability and safe boost. A quality EBC isn't much more expensive and will definitely be more useful during tuning and better at holding constant boost. Oh and most of them have two or three different settings, with a scramble function to up the boost when you like. There's a thread somewhere about EBC's and who's got what.

Also depending on some other members findings with Christian's coil-on-plug setup it could be worth looking at that as an option. It'd save buying new plugs all the time like some members on high boost seem to be having to do. And get the transmission cooler in there!

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
A 99 Legnum should have a MH7202/MH7203 ECU which means it can be tuned easily.

Stock injectors can do over 200kW, the stock fuel pump wont though. The stock injectors pretty well cover standard turbos and you shouldn't need to upgrade until you upgrade your turbos.

If you have an automatic transmission as standard, then you have the 70mm Throttle Body. Not that you need to change that anyway.

For boost, I use a cheap 3 port solenoid (free if you can pick up a fuel pressure solenoid for nothing) and run peak boost at ~20psi (average temperatures) using the standard boost control (modified ECU). The ECU cuts fuel based on calculated load, not boost pressure. As such, any system that regulates boost solely based on boost pressure targets is not going to be as effective at maintaining peak (i.e. just before fuel cut regardless of atmospheric conditions) power output.
You should be able maintain boost better if you put in decent set of pre-turbo pipes.

If you are going to all that trouble, I would also drop out the Auto transmission and strip it down for inspection. Could save you a lot of effort and trouble in the long run.

ASH STEEVO

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
VR4PLAY aka ASH
Drive
FREAKING cheers guys keep it coming i love the help...
boost n gauges as shown will be my last mod...

questionable because i dont know much about it...
like are EBC's for the hardcore tuner with brains
at present i dont even have a boost.turbo system works yet...

i just figured of manual controller for the easy factory and once the tune was done never need to touch it again... my MAX spend is around $10k so from what im seeing i should be alright.

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
EBC's aren't going to be much different as far as installs go, and you will be able to let Steve handle some of the tuning aspects when he does the ECU as well. With a serious setup I'd be wanting an electronic one.

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
should get an electronic controller anyway, manual controllers dont hold boost as steady as electronic. You can get decent EBCs for under $300 and they are easy enough to install, especially if I can manage it.

ASH STEEVO

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
VR4PLAY aka ASH
Drive
naww all i wanted a mad missle switch. lol
can u use a mnaual type missile switch with ebc's? one would assume so?

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
If you have some idea about wiring etc. I'm sure you'd be able to set up a button or switch or whatever you want to control the 'scramble boost' command that most EBC's have where they just bump the boost up instantly.

ASH STEEVO

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
VR4PLAY aka ASH
Drive
hey guys so HKS SQ BOV is the best to go for hey?? are they easy to replace? i do want a decent sound out of it... not a super wank style one but yeah...
also where is the best place to get a genuine one???

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
If you want a big loud noise out of it then it'll do the trick. Gotta make sure you get the elbow to fit EC5W though too. Genuine ones can be had off eBay but steer clear of the ones under about $200 otherwise it will be a fakey. You could probably get one off importmonster or something too.

ASH STEEVO

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
VR4PLAY aka ASH
Drive
so that just gets mounted behind LH headlight??
an where do you get the elbow from?? best to ask a supplier? or...

ASH STEEVO

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
VR4PLAY aka ASH
Drive
hey tom, wheres a good place in adelaide to pick one up?? $350+ is ok... id rather do that then waste time on ebay... so hard seeming the boxes all look the same.

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
Hks bov get annoying quickly, I would go for something with more of a woosh sound. If you are happy to pay $350+ you should maybe look at a GFB hybrid, can be adjusted between 3 settings, full vta, half vta half recirc and full. If money isn't a problem you can get one that you can control adjust with an electronic controller in your car.

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Sorry mate I've no idea where you could pick one up in Adelaide, maybe ask in the 'too lazy to search/stupid question' thread and someone can probably answer that. I'd agree that the SSQ sound would probably get a bit annoying over time, but if you want the noise then you want the noise.

ASH STEEVO

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
VR4PLAY aka ASH
Drive
gaaaah... decisions decisions... ive go a "whoosh" sounding one on my silver legnum, like the sound but also like the sound of the hks... but insaying that i feel it could get anoying also... been an auto and all...

ASH STEEVO

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
VR4PLAY aka ASH
Drive
GFB meaning Go Fast Bits... kinda turns me off the idea of the BOV been good quality.

Top Bottom