unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
guys,

i have an idea, but a bit bewildered on completing it.

basically i want to make/program something that can be plugged into the obd, powered and plug into an ipod or iphone, which would be used to display gauges/readouts of afr's, boost etc, essentially anything the factory ecu can display through evoscan.

now obviously an "app" for the iphone would hav to be programmed etc,

and a wiring loom made to plug into the obd, and to the ipod/iphone and also power to charge the ipod/iphone.

its sounds simple, but is it really? surely a large company would have made this by now. but is it possible? looking at the tuning and programming gurus for some advice
:confused:

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
I think it'll end up being a good deal more complicated than it seems. Also there's the problem of having it approved by Apple unless you have a jailbroke phone :(

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
bluetooth would be good. just hav to hav a charger then for the iphone/ipod...and then a app to pickup the signal and display it.

and tom, you're right, i didnt consider apple and natzi ways. i wonder how hard it is to approve an app? theyd want a slice of the pie too i guess

lathiat

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trent Lloyd
Drive
97 Legnum (Manual)
This already exists for other cars, you can get a PLE Devices device, or an O2 Motorsports ot-2 and a couple others, that work with "Rev" and "dash commander" and others

Unfortunately our cars don't support OBD-2 ISO-compliant commands, so none of these work, same with the Magnas. Also, you can't connect to random bluetooth devices from the iPhone which kills some of the cheaper obd2->bluetooth adapters but for the same reason I said earlier, they wont work on our cars anyway (most 'elm327' devices)

What WILL work is Evoscan but he hasnt' released the iPhone/iPad version yet
http://www.evoscan.com/iphone-ipad-4-evoscan

However will most likely require a jailbroken iPhone/iPad.. which is a bit annoying too.

I am working on a MUT-II => OBD2 convertor so you can just use a PLX devices etc but haven't finished that project yet.

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
some sort of adapter so we can use all the other devices on the market would be very good

GTOX

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Tim
Drive
1998 Mitsubishi GTO
This already exists for other cars, you can get a PLE Devices device, or an O2 Motorsports ot-2 and a couple others, that work with "Rev" and "dash commander" and others

Unfortunately our cars don't support OBD-2 ISO-compliant commands, so none of these work, same with the Magnas. Also, you can't connect to random bluetooth devices from the iPhone which kills some of the cheaper obd2->bluetooth adapters but for the same reason I said earlier, they wont work on our cars anyway (most 'elm327' devices)

What WILL work is Evoscan but he hasnt' released the iPhone/iPad version yet
http://www.evoscan.com/iphone-ipad-4-evoscan

However will most likely require a jailbroken iPhone/iPad.. which is a bit annoying too.

I am working on a MUT-II => OBD2 convertor so you can just use a PLX devices etc but haven't finished that project yet.

More info?

Would this allow the Innovate OT-2 (OBD-II) to work on a MUT based japanese ECU car?

lathiat

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trent Lloyd
Drive
97 Legnum (Manual)
Well my current implementation is in the form of an ELM327 emulator for MUT-III, so that wouldnt work with an OT-2.. but by emulation an elm327 apps like Rev/DashCmd/etc would work with my emulator.

To make it work with an OT-2 id have to convert from MUT-III to the ISO OBD-2 protocol which could work but would be more expensive as youd have to buy an OT-2 as well as my emulation device so seems simpler just to emulate the whole thing.

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
If anyone is looking to produce apps for the iOS, the place to get it done is elance.com

It's kinda like an eBay style bidding system. You post up you job and various people/companies throw bids up at what price they're willing to do the job for.

My stress management/deep relaxation app just got approved, reasonably easy process. Very reasonable prices too.

lathiat

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trent Lloyd
Drive
97 Legnum (Manual)
The app is free but you need the device.

Top Bottom