help with identity check

rockit

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Robert
Drive
2000 Legnum
hi,

i need to put my legnum through a identity check, I know as part of the compliance process people who imported one have to have an identity check done, so what exactly do they check?

im not expecting any issues as my car is pretty stock at the moment but dont want any surprises.

so if anyone can help by saying what stuff they go over, or what stuff people have been failed for before then that would be great:)

G

Unregistered
basically just make sure the car is as close to 100% stock (exterior wise, such as wheels, exhaust, suspension, engine mods etc) and you'll be fine.

they just check all the I.D numbers (eng/vin etc) and ensure that the compliance plate is fitted correctly etc. takes like 15mins. no big deal.

Mac Dog

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Macca
Drive
Red 1997 Legnum
Yeah pretty easy process. Keep in mind you will have to get your VIN number stamped onto your chassis. You can get this done with the chaps directly across from where you'll be. I think I paid either $20 or $50 to get it done, can't exactly remember.

G

Unregistered
not necessarily, it depends on whether a vin number plate has been attached to the vehicle already (during compliance). mine has, and my previous legnum had one as well.

mines a piece of aluminium with the vin number stamped on it, pop rivetted to the top of the strut tower .

rockit

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Robert
Drive
2000 Legnum
im slightly concerned because my tyre placard seems to be from a S1 not a S2 :s. but i have S1 rims on it for now so i guess that should pass (im also considering contacting the workshop where it was complied as theres got to be something wrong there)

Mac Dog

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Macca
Drive
Red 1997 Legnum
Mine is also the aluminium strip riveted to the strut tower.

My tyre placard has 16" and 17" as stock. I could bring on the 19's if I wanted to! hahaha

ECfiveA

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mathew
Drive
97 Galant VR4
Sorry to steal someone else's thread but I was wondering what regency check when it goes through the inspection after compliance. The car I've got is being complied in Melbourne and has a Sh*t load of mods and everyone supposedly in the know say it shouldn't be a problem they just check that all the ID plates are correct.

engie tommo

Idling at the Lights
Lifetime Member
First Name
Tommo
Drive
2001 Pearl White Legnum, TR Magna
I had my id check about 2 weeks ago and didn't really have any problems with it. The front tint is dark, probably just on the limit or just over and the guy doing the inspection mentioned that it was probably too dark and I'd get pulled over by the cops, but didn't fail it or anything like that. I was the last through for the day on a Friday so that probably helped. He probably couldn't be buggered testing the tint...

If they do pick you up for tint and it's just out, it might help by asking to see a current, valid calibration certificate for the test equipment and what the tolerance on the detection equipment is.

I did swap the coilovers out for standard stuts and hide the manual boost controller, but it still had an aftermarket intercooler and hard piping kit. But you'd have to know the cars to pick that out probably. From watching, he pretty much just checked the compliance plate, engine and chassis to make sure the VIN and engine nos matched up. As long as you don't have shiny stuff poking out in the engine bay and aren't lowered, I reckon you'd be fine. It's completely different from full roadworthy check that's done if your car's been defected by the cops.

ECfiveA

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mathew
Drive
97 Galant VR4
I work at a dealership so can I get the guy who is authorised to do th ID checks at work for used cars to do the check on my car or because it is an import its a different process?

G

Unregistered
Anyone can take the car down to regency for an ID inspection. Whether its a work colleague, partner, friend, cat, dog, gold fish :p

ECfiveA

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mathew
Drive
97 Galant VR4
We have people employed at work to do the checks on site so they don't need to take a heap of cars to regency. I just want to see if they can do it or if anyone knows if its different for an import. I CBF taking it to regency unless I have to.

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
I see no reason as to why it can't be done. If he is authorised by transport SA to perform an identity check, then get him to do it and see what happens.

ECfiveA

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mathew
Drive
97 Galant VR4
He's a bit stupid and reluctant to do it, but I found some info on the inspection and he should be able to do it. Now to get it from Melbourne

Top Bottom