hey can any1 help me trying to change my belts

JUSTCRUZN

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
michael
Drive
98 Legnum VR4
hey does any1 know if the small pully next to the altinator is the tensioner pully? undone the biger belt but trying to remove the small belt now n started undoing a bolt that looks like the tensioner bolt but its massive n ive undone it almost all the way and it hasnt got any looser. can any1 let me no if i have the right pully

JUSTCRUZN

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
michael
Drive
98 Legnum VR4
ive worked out ive got the right pully but how do u take the tension off??

JUSTCRUZN

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
michael
Drive
98 Legnum VR4
i just undone the bolt all the way out and it still wont let go is there a trick to it????????????????????????

Nick Mann

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Nick Mann
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4
The alternator tensioner pulley is hidden behind the inner wing. There is a 14mm nut in the centre of the pulley that holds it to the adjustment slider, then a long bolt accessed from the top of the engine bay near the dip stick to releas the tension. You can't release the tension until you loosen the nut in the centre of the pulley.

It's a git of a job too! You will need a shallow six sided 14mm socket on a shallow rachet to get the best leverage.

gumstick

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Peter
Drive
'97 Type S Legnum and 180SX
Nick is on the money. I did my belts last weekend. Another issue is that I found was the pully was stuck in tentioner and despite backing off the centre nut, wouldn't budge!

Solution: use your ratchet extention and a socket on the end, and gently tap the pully (with the old belt still on so you don't damage the pully) with a rubber mallet. Should drop and the tention release.

JUSTCRUZN

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
michael
Drive
98 Legnum VR4
thanks heaps guys tried the gently tapping and didnt work. so think im off to buy or borrow a shallow six sided 14mm socket and a shallow rachet thanks heaps

gumstick

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Peter
Drive
How did you go Michael? Did you back off the centre nut before tapping the tentioner pully?

JUSTCRUZN

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
michael
Drive
98 Legnum VR4
hey mate yer got it done yesterday. thanks for everyones help went to repco n brought a spanner its called a flat ring spanner. it got in there really easy and i would recomend it to any one that has to change their belts cost bout $40 ish. ill post a pick in the tools for your vr4 thread

gumstick

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Peter
Drive
hey mate yer got it done yesterday. thanks for everyones help went to repco n brought a spanner its called a flat ring spanner. it got in there really easy and i would recomend it to any one that has to change their belts cost bout $40 ish. ill post a pick in the tools for your vr4 thread

Great to hear it's all done.

JUSTCRUZN

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
michael
Drive
98 Legnum VR4
yes it is they dont make stuff easy on our cars do they. thanks for your help once again

gumstick

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Peter
Drive
Nope.. they sure don't, but it's fun learning a new car. I have already left a lot of skin in the engine bay.

Top Bottom