HID light cut out, won't work

Jase

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jase
Drive
1998 Mitsubish Legnum VR4 - Type S FL
Hey all,

I have a problem, one of my HID lights made by Christian just randomly stop working and won't turn on, I thought the wiring might had fell out of the socket but when I went to check it, it was plugged in properly.

I began to fidget to two cord that install into the socket that attaches to the headlight, I get a glimmer of flicker of the headlight then it goes blank. I thought the two cords might be dirty so I gave them a clean with a rag and it still doing it. Does anybody have any suggestions what it might be? The other headlight works fine.

Can somebody please help? I have no clue when it comes to something electrical.

whats_doing

QLD Events Manager
First Name
Sam
Drive
98 PFL Black Legnum - SOLD
MY15 Hyosung GT650R
Ballast failure? Try swapping ballasts/bulbs/wires around to pinpoint the issue.

Jase

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jase
Drive
Possibly, but if it was a ballast issue wouldn't they work at all?

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
Sounds like broken wire somewhere. Or bad earth even.

Jase

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jase
Drive
Do you know what broken wire it could be? The capacitor?

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
I would put money on being before the ballast. As the wires on my hid kit are silicone and very flexible going to the globe.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
thought I had replied to this already, but seems not

anyway.. before considering ballast issue, I'd thoroughly check the harness first.

which ballasts was it that you have? also the harness, is it something I made or you had to cut and/or splice?

can you please post pics for me?

crazydriver81

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Stefan
Drive
Legnum 25 ST-R
HID ballast failure or bulb gone. Try to swap the ballasts and see how this goes. When my ballast was gone, it tried to fire up the bulb (you could hear three or four attempts) and bulb stayed dark.

Jase

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jase
Drive
thought I had replied to this already, but seems not

anyway.. before considering ballast issue, I'd thoroughly check the harness first.

which ballasts was it that you have? also the harness, is it something I made or you had to cut and/or splice?

can you please post pics for me?

Hey Christian, thanks for your reply, I can get photos to you tomorrow to try and explain it better.

I'm not sure, I bought these off a member here, I think they are like your very first ones, it seems the previous owner has made the harness for it, so I'm thinking your right with the harness issue.

HID ballast failure or bulb gone. Try to swap the ballasts and see how this goes. When my ballast was gone, it tried to fire up the bulb (you could hear three or four attempts) and bulb stayed dark.

This seems kinda of the same issue but when I fidget the harness a couple of times it lightly flickers then turns off

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
btw, just a safety reminder.. don't fiddle with the wires between the hid ballast and bulb.. as that's in AC...

if you fiddle with the ones between the oe connector and hid ballast and it flickers, then that's where your issue is at

Yo_Mang

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Blake
Drive
2002 Mitsubishi Legnum
Also putting in a guess for ballast failure. Cheaper ballasts are prone to failure, I've gone through my fair share of them. In my experience they continue to work but won't strike every now and then and will need a few off / on switches of the headlights before they strike (then eventually don't strike at all).

Luckily I have a few spare new cheap ballasts at home, as it's a pain in the ass when they do die and you can't really just duck down to SuperCheap and get a new one! I think I'll spend the money on some high quality ones some time soon, I have been through probably 4 or 5 ballasts in my last few cars!

Top Bottom