frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
Looks like my clutch is on its way out.. i floor it through first, put it in second and as boost hits in 2nd it revs right up as if i pushed in the clutch.... bummer...

What should i do.. and how long do you think it will last on the stock clutch.

My budget is limited but id rather upgrade than get another standard one. Opinions? prices? ideas?

G

Unregistered
exedy 7223hd/hdb/hdbc (magna clutch kit)
and 8-10hours labour, and fluids.

if you keep driving it hard it will die soon,
treat it nice it may give you a few months.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
lol the 'floor it through first' etc isn't my regular driving style, so yeah it should last at least a couple months :)

Subaru ETA

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
97 Galant VR-4 M/T
something i have done on my car and on another car that worked (mine last a year from when it satred slipping)

jack the front of the car up. take out the inspection grommet fron the bellhousing. now using a air blower blow the dust out (cover your face, clutch dust aint good!)

now get someone in the car to start it (out of gear of course!). now get them to pump the clutch slowly as you blow the dust out.

now take it for a drive and see how it goes. as i say i did this to my car and it lasted for another year. it was still ok when i put the exedy hd clutch in it

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
1988 Magna (Daily) 1975 GC Galant hardtop (W/End car) 1972 GS Galant hardtop, 1973 Galant GTO X-II, 1978 Galant (Scorpion) hardtop
We did an EVO clutch last week. Depending on what you want it can be okay money. You are looking at about 10 hours labor @ around $80 an hour. We fitted an Ogura twin plate (you wont break this before drive shafts) at $1800, so about $2600.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
ouch... spose that new engine management computer is gonna have to wait a little longer hehe

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
1988 Magna (Daily) 1975 GC Galant hardtop (W/End car) 1972 GS Galant hardtop, 1973 Galant GTO X-II, 1978 Galant (Scorpion) hardtop
I thought that was a pretty good price

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Jase do you have any more details on that clutch? (product code, website etc) Do you know if they have a model that would be available to fit a Galant / Legnum?

I'm a little concerned I'm gonna kill the clutch in mine in short order, so I'd like to have my replacement options covered WELL before I get there... Want something strong but not a button race clutch - I'll be driving this every day after all.

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
Trev, to be honest, I have guessed from all the pics I have seen plus looking and a manual Leggy and an EVO I am sold on the idea they use the same gearbox. Any ideas??
As far as part numbers you will have to wait till monday, soz

Kristian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kristian
Drive
Changes daily
^^ I'm pretty sure that's correct, but I also remember when I replaced mine that many of the parts were common with the manual Magnas too. Worth investigating...

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
the best part of an ogura clutch is it converts ya pull style clutch to a conventional style push clutch it all comes in the kit, I think that is a pretty good price for a massive up grade

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
^^ I'm pretty sure that's correct, but I also remember when I replaced mine that many of the parts were common with the manual Magnas too. Worth investigating...

Yeah we had our done and it was replaced with a Magna clutch. Any idea exactly how much power they'll take at launch before slipping?

G

Unregistered
Want something strong but not a button race clutch - I'll be driving this every day after all.

you dont want a twin plate then its loud, and its either on or off, its not memnt to be slipped/ridden...
just get the exedy heavy duty clutch then.
same as the stock clutch, just more holding power

Trev, to be honest, I have guessed from all the pics I have seen plus looking and a manual Leggy and an EVO I am sold on the idea they use the same gearbox. Any ideas??

they dont use the same gear box, the housings are different, and the final drive gear is different. the gear sets can be swapped around.

evo 4-6 clutches are smaller,
7+ are the same size but need custom spacers to be made to fit/work.

the magna clutch kit is what you want, 240mm pull type,
exedy 7223 kits.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Thanks for the info as always Carsten! :)

While I like the idea of a super-strong clutch, at the end of the day you have to ask the question how the car is to be used. Personally as my car isn't going to be on a track its not sensible to get racing equipment that's just going to make my daily driving difficult. Each to their own of course, though!

Question: What do you think of the drivability of the Heavy Duty Cushioned Button Clutch?

G

Unregistered
thats what ill be going for, from what ive read it whould be somewhere between the HD, and the HDB (its a 5 puk brass button)

ill be getting it from oz thou as the exedy kits are a shit load cheaper over there, hopefully someone here on the forums will help me out when the time comes

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I've got an exedy heavy duty and it handless my car no problems. It feels and drives just like a stock one, but it handles power

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
The only VR-4's I've driven with uprated clutches have been mine and Uc's - Carsten, what does Uc have?

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
im thinking heavy duty is the way to go? i do alot of driving.. its not a weekend only/track car at this point :p (at this rate im looking at 60000kms/yr unless i slow it down) The one you mentioned earlier.. how is it for driveability? is it going to wreck my gearbox/drivetrain?

Top Bottom