dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Previous: Black PFL Legnum
Current: TD5 Land Rover Disco
Just pulled them out and the old ones were 6's gapped at 0.8mm

Only put the 6's in as per the service guide before I had the boostguage and knew I had 18psi..
so hopefully I'll get better up and go with the 7's!

Just gotta wait for the tool shop to get the lifter tool ordered.. Can't wait a month for Meek to get one

Ernz1981

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ernz
Drive
1997 Galant VR4
Cam...you can get the exact same lifter tool that meek got from Amazon.com

cheaper too.

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Previous: Black PFL Legnum
Current: TD5 Land Rover Disco
Yeah I've ordered one from an auto tool shop around the corner ffrom work, but he's midway through moving shop (from the 'other' corner of work) and he's sure he's got one in one of the boxes he's yet to unpack, but ordered one for me regardless saying it'd be in today, but he was closed today so I'll give him a call tomorrow and hope it's come in.
From memory he said its about $20

I just can't wait for postage ordering it online/waitin for meek

shaqdaddy91

Crunching Gears
First Name
Shanil
Drive
98 Vr4 Galant
There's no mistaking slip, sudden raise in revs well and truly beyond normal acceleration without corresponding increase in speed.

This happens in my Galant as well. The mechanic said today that it was the clutch slipping. And apparently it will cost me $2000 to fix it. $900 for the clutch kit or something and another $800 at least for labour. Apparently its a big job with the AWD's including Evo's. I honestly thought this price was a joke. I told him that I intend to modify it later down the track and since its failing should I just upgrade it? He said they will buy a new clutch and just modify the pitch fork or something like that. Same pedal feeling and drivability but the ability to handle more torque. And with the clutch replacement they will change all the transmission seals and stuff. In other words make it one big job so that I don't have to return later on incase the seals break or something. Is that an appropriate price? What have other people paid for clutch replacements?

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
This happens in my Galant as well. The mechanic said today that it was the clutch slipping. And apparently it will cost me $2000 to fix it. $900 for the clutch kit or something and another $800 at least for labour. Apparently its a big job with the AWD's including Evo's. I honestly thought this price was a joke. I told him that I intend to modify it later down the track and since its failing should I just upgrade it? He said they will buy a new clutch and just modify the pitch fork or something like that. Same pedal feeling and drivability but the ability to handle more torque. And with the clutch replacement they will change all the transmission seals and stuff. In other words make it one big job so that I don't have to return later on incase the seals break or something. Is that an appropriate price? What have other people paid for clutch replacements?

Head to http://www.autopartspro.com.au/, call Dave & Nathan and ask about an Xtreme Heavy Duty clutch for a 6A13 EC5 Galant, tell them Tim/ygoslo sent you. I don't want to quote you on their behalf but I bought one a couple of weeks ago and it was hundreds cheaper than your $900 quote. Excellent clutch too, you won't be disappointed. I know they're in Ballarat but they should be able to ship to you.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS

$2k is pretty spot on..

got mine done for $2500 several years ago..

was just a recon pressure plate and new disc.. plus alot more stuffing around..

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
It's a bit high. You should be able to get a clutch for $6-700, and labour should be $800-1200. Extra parts like a rear main seal, driveshaft seals etc can bump it closer to $2000, but you should still end up with change out of $2k.

shaqdaddy91

Crunching Gears
First Name
Shanil
Drive
98 Vr4 Galant
Head to http://www.autopartspro.com.au/, call Dave & Nathan and ask about an Xtreme Heavy Duty clutch for a 6A13 EC5 Galant, tell them Tim/ygoslo sent you. I don't want to quote you on their behalf but I bought one a couple of weeks ago and it was hundreds cheaper than your $900 quote. Excellent clutch too, you won't be disappointed. I know they're in Ballarat but they should be able to ship to you.

$2k is pretty spot on..

got mine done for $2500 several years ago..

was just a recon pressure plate and new disc.. plus alot more stuffing around..

It's a bit high. You should be able to get a clutch for $6-700, and labour should be $800-1200. Extra parts like a rear main seal, driveshaft seals etc can bump it closer to $2000, but you should still end up with change out of $2k.

Thanks for that appreciate it. Well, if $2k is pretty spot on, I'll probably get it done with the seals and everything but supply my own clutch like the one Tim suggested and save a little bit. The mechanic did mention that when people supply their own clutch like ones from exedy and stuff like that, that sometimes the clutch fork doesn't release properly sometimes which is why he suggested modding the fork. But if Tim recommends that clutch from experience then I guess I can't go wrong.

Hey Christian, where bouts do you get all your work and servicing done?

hozza

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nathan
Drive
97 COTY manual legnum.(gone)
96 GTO MR
S13 silvia
Hey mate,
Tomorrow I am going to ring up a couple of places to get there rough quote for replacing the throw out bearing. And get them to see if my clutch is in good nick if not I will replace it.
What im trying to get at is we might be able to get a better quote if we put both our cars in at the same time?

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
But if Tim recommends that clutch from experience then I guess I can't go wrong.

I am running the Xtreme HD clutch kit now and early impressions are it is great. Easier to use than the stock one, and seems to hook up very well. Dave & Nath will look after you with it too, I have already referred another OzVR4 member to them and the quote was again very competitive.

Allow at least 4-5 days for the clutch kit to be assembled & shipped.

Also, if you're replacing the bearing you should replace the clutch. It's a consumable part so will wear out sooner or later. The clutch costs less than the labour, so you may as well replace it while everything is apart. You'll save hundreds in the long run.

shaqdaddy91

Crunching Gears
First Name
Shanil
Drive
98 Vr4 Galant
Hey mate,
Tomorrow I am going to ring up a couple of places to get there rough quote

Yeah ok, just let me know how you go with those quotes.

On a side note, I found some exedy heavy duty clutches on kudos motorsport. http://www.kudosmotorsports.com/catalog/ec5w-driveline-braking-c-356_357_358_359.html

the heavy duty one is only $715, i say 'only' because the mechanic said that just a factory replacement clutch will cost me $900. Regardless, I will be contacting Dave & Nath sometime tomorrow to see what their price is.

hozza

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nathan
Drive
96 GTO MR
S13 silvia
Yeah ok, just let me know how you go with those quotes.

On a side note, I found some exedy heavy duty clutches on kudos motorsport. http://www.kudosmotorsports.com/catalog/ec5w-driveline-braking-c-356_357_358_359.html

the heavy duty one is only $715, i say 'only' because the mechanic said that just a factory replacement clutch will cost me $900. Regardless, I will be contacting Dave & Nath sometime tomorrow to see what their price is.

Got a quote from to places one said that they couldnt give me a price because they havent done a legnum before.

They other place is carmen imports they have looked after me before.
They said the last one they did cost $1750. that including the clutch.(excedy heavy duty. well that's what the receptionist thought will confirm tomorrow)
I have booked my car in for Tuesday next week, because my bearing is getting worse.

Black_Ice

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Aamir
Drive
WRX
I just bought an exedy clutch for my rcolt..try Northern Brake and Clutch in Melbourne..Buy far the cheapest even with shipping...Great to deal with...I think you should get a quote from them...

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Legnum got a new clutch supplied and fitted at Carmen May 17th so last one they did might've been mine, MBK7223HD was the clutch used. Price is correct. Pedal weight's still light but much better bite.

hozza

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nathan
Drive
96 GTO MR
S13 silvia
Yep she said it was in may, I think that price included a cv boot and radiator coolent? so hopefully its cheaper again.
and MBK7223HD is the heavy duty clutch.
Do you know if they replaced any seals?

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
$1750 was supply and fit clutch, machine flywheel and replace some fluids necessary for the job. I didn't get any other work done.

Top Bottom