holding boost pressure

cam1754

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
cameron
Drive
1996 galant vr4
i recently puta boost tap (turbosmart) on my car and all ive seemed to notice is that it spikes up to about 14 psi and drops back to 10-11. any reason for this? do i need to upgrade to an electronic controller?

G

Unregistered
manual boost controllers have a tendency to do this. ebc's will hold boost heaps better than a bleed valve but in saying that lots of people claim that the turbotech and gfb gated controllers hold boost as good as an ebc.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
i have a turbosmart tee or whatever they are, and mine is perfect, holds at .8 bar and doesnt move the whole time. Also, worked the same when i had it as .9. Trick is to make sure you get someone good to install it ;) i followed the guide on here and had problems (though followed it exact :S) so went back n payed 50 bucks to get them to do it...

whiteleg

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
98 Legnum
Cameron - I run a Greddy Profec Spec b and it also drops psi high in the rev range but only 1 -2 psi max. When the car was tuned at Chip Torque they said this is normal and you wouldn't make any extra power if it held anyway as the turbo's at that point are past there peak output. I would say save your money as EBC are expensive and look at doing something else (Exhaust etc).

cam1754

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
cameron
Drive
1996 galant vr4
awesome, so its not just mine doing it. yea sounds correct about turbos running out of puff high in the rev range.my car already has a fujitsubo cat back exhaust so prob do intercooler and hard piping next.
cheers

Murph

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Legnum/4WD TD Hilux/260Z
I have an EBC and it spikes just as much. The EBCs don't control boost quite as "actively" as everyone seems to think.

G

Unregistered
Do you have the standard BOV? A metal one like a EVO MR can hold boost better and higher.

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
1988 Magna (Daily) 1975 GC Galant hardtop (W/End car) 1972 GS Galant hardtop, 1973 Galant GTO X-II, 1978 Galant (Scorpion) hardtop
I have a GFB gated controller and it also boosts to 13 then drops off to 10-11. Think it is the BOV to blame IMO.

whiteleg

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
98 Legnum
To test if its your bov put the car in 4th at about 50KM then plant your foot. You will hit full boost by 3000rpm and if this holds to about 4000 - 4500 rpm it is not leaking. If it was leaking you would see the boost drop during this time. The boost in 2nd and 3th falls off after about 4000 - 4500 and I think its just the small turbos not being able to supply enough air for the engine to maintain that boost.

Murph

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Legnum/4WD TD Hilux/260Z
Do you have the standard BOV? A metal one like a EVO MR can hold boost better and higher.

Yeah standard. Pretty sure doing the above mentioned test, I holds boost solidly.

I'm thinking the spiking is simply due to the long runs of small diameter tubing to each of the wastegate actuators. In an ideal setup you want this as short as possible....something that is of course impossible when your two turbos are a mounted a meter apart.

I need to look into this some more though.

Top Bottom