Hole in stock airbox - should it be there?

aiwasaki

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Azan
Drive
S2 Legnum VR4
Hi guys

I bought a stock airbox off AJ/96vr4 and I noticed a hole on the bottom (see pic). It doesn't look like it is a crack or made by damage, so I was wondering if it is by design ie supposed to be there/has anyone seen this on their own airbox?

If it isn't I can't imagine it will be detrimental to the correct performance as I assume it would be too small to suck in a lot of air. Plus as you can see it is on the snorkel side, not MAF side of the filter.Thoughts?

Cheers

Attachments

• DSC07027.JPG
    DSC07027.JPG
    216.6 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC07032.JPG
    DSC07032.JPG
    206.2 KB · Views: 44

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Looks like damage. Would cause absolutely no issues at that size and location, if it bothers you than put some good duct tape over it.

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
To me
It looks like A bad plastic injection moulding. Nothing to
Worry bout as it's on the open air side. So before filter. Mine has a big hole in it too. Lol
image.jpg

aiwasaki

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Azan
Drive
S2 Legnum VR4
To me
It looks like A bad plastic injection moulding. Nothing to
Worry bout as it's on the open air side. So before filter. Mine has a big hole in it too. Lol

Haha, yeah that's what I thought too ie that it was something caused during manufacturing, as the edges of the hole look to straight to be damage. Will just tape over it.

Hope I don't loose all the induction noise, from 4000 RPM up the HKS pod made a wicked sucking sound :)

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Black tape, problem solved

Baba Galant

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
John
Drive
Galant VR4 twin turbo 1997
Exact same hole and location in mine! Pretty sure it's an injection moulding issue.

aiwasaki

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Azan
Drive
S2 Legnum VR4
The old HKS mushroom pod is out and stock airbox with K&N filter in. Does that count as a mod... :)

PS I thought the induction noise would change significantly (especially on WOT, post 4000 RPM) by putting the stock box back in, but surprisingly it doesn't sound that different. Well IMO anyway.

Top Bottom