URGENT: HOLE IN SUMP!!!!!

bratwurst_boy

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
daniel
Drive
98 legnum type s, jzza70 supra
hey guys, i just finished washing my car and went to put it back in the carport and i notice a fresh oil stain on the floor. so i jacked the front up and had a look underneath and found a split in the sump just under the drain plug.

where can i get a replacement from and quick!!!!!

cheers
dan

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Sif get a replacement man! Pull it off and take it to ANY steel fab place and get a weld put over the crack. Piece of cake it will cost you nothing.

I have no idea if they are aluminum or not... but if it is you can still get it welded.

G

Unregistered
they are alluminium,

and if they crack near the sump plug, its pretty much a write off,

the metal is thin and crap, warps so bloody easy when being welded,

best to buy a new one thats crack free

its semi common, mainly happens on lowered cars, or ones that have been in accedents.

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
^ Sounds like you should listen to him not me.

I'd still have a tonk at welding it... Especially if it's happened because it's lowered.... you could get a thicker plate put over the crack might save it happening again. Of course it might warp to shit and be un-usable too.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Daniel, if you're gonna replace the sump.. can i have your old one? or let me buy it?!

G

Unregistered
I'm sure the one that the sump plug is attached to is steel as my one has been welded in the past probably from being to low as well

G

Unregistered
your all making me nervous now(runs outside to check sump) im getting a steel plate to protect it made up now.lol

bratwurst_boy

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
daniel
Drive
thanks guys, i had a talk to a mechanic that services legnums and he suggested beating the ding back out and braising the metal back together but if it warps or damages the plug thread its stuff.

here are some pics of it.

t_legnum002m_2e41aca.jpg

t_legnum001m_bc5792e.jpg

i think that i might just look for another one, just to be on the safe side.

G

Unregistered
When I had my lowerd Audi A3 I ran over a big rock and punch a hole in the sump, Took it off and got it welded.
Easy cheap fix but after a while it had a slow leak from the weld area. It was about a 1cm wide hole.
When it happend I thought the car was on fire from all the smoke behind me which was a cloud of oil mist and the poor car behind me got coverd in oil I'm guessing.

bratwurst_boy

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
daniel
Drive
lol joe, i don't think you need to worry. my cars right on 100mm and i went for a bit of a blast on a forestry road (bad idea)

christan, of course man if you want it, its a tad dinged up tho.

G

Unregistered
sorry my bad, its mild steal,
i think **** it... thats not the real issue

from the pic of yours, i wouldn't waste time/money on it,
what ever is done to repair it, is gonna be temporary don't think of whats done as a permanent fix

its close to the threading/sump hole.
it can warp that area making it shit to re-seal with the plug in,

G

Unregistered
If you cant get your hands on one straight away and its only a crack look for a product called sic-a-flex or something like that. Its a poly-urethane sealer thats impervious to oil and semi-heat proof. Pull of the sump get some thinners to clean the area on the outside thats cracked then apply a 1cm thick layer of sicaflex around the crack and at least 1cm wider on all sides of the crack make sure you work a little bit into the crack but not enough to break off and block a oil line and presto you have a quick fix thats a perfectly good seal to last 2-3 weeks till your new one arrives. I have done this on many a sigma and magna as it happens on all of them once lowered and you drive anywere in the Barossa Valley and some of them are still going 2-3 years later!! LOL tight arses

bratwurst_boy

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
daniel
Drive
well i think that i will just leave the car in the carport for a while till i find a replacement. lucky i live in a town small enough to walk everywhere, and i can use my girls tn magna :( if i need to drive anywhere. this might also give me a chance to work on her and get some mods done, ie stereo and the like :)

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
you gotta love sikaflex.. :D best one there is.. how about that silicone gasket thingy you put on your rocker cover/camshaft seal?! aren't they as good as sikaflex?

Daniel, if you're gonna use something like sikaflex to seal that leak.. I suggest you make sure that there is NO OIL in the sump, clean it up.. dip it in acid bath or something.. solvent or whatever it is to clean it off.. to make sure that you've got that good contact with the sealant..

bratwurst_boy

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
daniel
Drive
well i don't think i'll do the sikaflex thing, i'm going to take the sump off in the next couple of days and take to someone to see if they could fix it or get a replacement.

i just had a look in wikipedia and the sumps off a non-turbo galant or 2002 diamante (magna) be ok seeing as they both have a 6a13????

Top Bottom