Hopefully Leggy Owner

MR2QIK

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jay
Drive
Gen3 MR2 Turbo, FD3S S8 Type R Bathurst RX7, Lexus IS250, FL Legnum VR4
Hi everyone,

Feeling kinda down right now since I jus spent $259 on a Stateroads inspection for a S2 Legnum only to discover some rust hiding & an AYC light. Was the silver 99 @ Ginza on Parra road.

Anyway, thought an intro may lift my spirits :) Have a baby on the way & after an auto s2 fuss free Leggy for my wife, dogs & upcoming bubba. Hopefully get to join your ranks soon.

Certainly not new to modifying (have 350rwkw MR2 & FD) or import cars but this would be my first wagon....lol

Cheers,
Jay

Edit: Apologies for the poor grammar on the thread title. Late night + bad inspection + mobile device = inability to construct proper sentences.

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Welcome aboard Jay!

Skippy

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Stuart
Drive
'96 PFL Galant VR-4
I spent close to a month of disappointment and missing out by inches, but then I found my current one and it's perfect for me :) Keep looking and one that's awesome will come your way ;)

Akys

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alvin
Drive
1996 Trigger Mauve Galant VR4
Welcome Jay. Where abouts in nsw you're from?
Good luck with the legnum hunt

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Welcome aboard jay, tell us more about the MR2, are you in the MR2 club?

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
$259 is nothing compared to the pain that car would've given you long term. Inspection is worth every cent, get every single one you're contemplating inspected.

I waited 4 months for a decent example to come up in Japan and another 3 months to get behind the wheel, patience will be rewarded.

Sounds like you're no stranger to boosted imports, that'll come in handy as although they're fairly reliable, age dictates they'll never be fuss free.

This thread needs more pics of mr2 and fd!

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Ah just realised the user name, yes I know you're sw20. VERY nice.... We have a mutual friend btw. Again, welcome aboard.

Unco_Tomato

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt
Drive
1996 White Manual Legnum w/ FL Kit
I spent 6 months looking for my first Legnum. When I finally got it, was 52KM's, perfect interior and exactly the way I wanted it, well worth the wait.

It got crashed into at a set of lights a couple of months back though :(

GMan

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jet
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Welcome to the forum! No wonder that silver one is still out there. I think you dodged a very expensive bullet.

MR2QIK

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jay
Drive
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. Very much appreciated. Naturally, I'm active in a few automotive communities (FDRX7, MR2 forums/club, Lexus Club + many more in the past). This one actually seems to be one of the better ones.

Skippy, good to hear it worked out for you. I'm not in a mad rush to buy at least, but I don't want to wait too long :)

Akys, I'm from Western Sydney.

TME_Steve, yes I'm in the MR2 Club. Who's the mutual friend? I see you do ECU flashing, I'm certain that'll come in handy oneday since my usual tuner (Hitman) closed shop to work for Haltech full-time.

VOLK, absolutely agree. It's surely disappointing but necessary. If anyone was looking at that car, by all means let me know & I'll share the findings in detail. The 76,000km actually seemed legit, just a shame the car looks to have come from Northern Japan. I wouldn't expect such a relatively cheap twin turbo 4WD Mitsi to be perfect, but it won't be in frontline duty, so provided I find something fundamentally good, then it should be a lot less fuss than my MR2 & RX7.....lol In all fairness though, they've been well behaved lately.

Uncle_Tomato, very sad to hear that. If it's any consolation, the GC8 WRX I had a decade ago was stolen twice in 1 month.

Here a pic of each as requested. Won't go into much detail since this is a Legnum forum :)

MR2QIK (Gen3 turbo import) - Featured in Zoom & Autosalon magazines. Bought with 60,000km in 1999 & was my daily until it hit 235,000km. Unlike most MR2's & more like alcohol, it became better/faster with age (went through 3 rebuilds though)....hahaha 330-350rwkw (I backed off timing) on 98RON, 2.2L stroker 5S block (frankenstein 5S/3S head), GT35R, W2A IC, Power FC, ported head, HKS 272's, supporting mods & all that jazz......My version of Eric Bana's "beast"

Prospect2.jpg

RX7 v6 S8 - Bought late 2012 with my bro. He wanted access to the MR2, so I made him get the RX7 (my constant temptation) so we can both benefit.....haha Mild port 13B, GTX35R, Blitz IC, Power FC, CJ fuel system, 250rwkw @ 15psi, Cusco coilovers, Koyo rad, Re-amemiya bonnet etc etc etc

DSC_1112.jpg

My daily IS250 - Lip, rims, wing, Tein S-tech. Bought new, Prestige Luxury. Good on fuel, never lets you down. Hoping the Leggy can relieve some of the pressure on it though as it's the only car my wife can drive :)

DSC_1342.jpg

If anyone knows of a decent auto facelifted Legnum for sale, by all means let me know. I'll be frank, I'm not after a ballistic, Grade4.5 auction car, just something that looks neat, is honest & is mechanically sound. I found 2 pearl white ones & both sellers were happy to talk in detail & get me worked up, only to have second thoughts & take the cars off the market. Damn tease.....

MR2QIK

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jay
Drive
Now a quick question for everyone.....I've done a few searches here & on google.

What's the mechanical difference between the pre & post facelift auto Legnums? I understand the former has 260hp, whilst the latter has the 276hp (Jap limit)? Less boost, ECU mapping or more significant like different turbochargers.....?

BFun

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ben
Drive
'99 Legnum VR-4 Type-S
Yeah... definitely worth the inspection... I didn't get one and I've had a few things go wrong with mine. :(
AYC Light was gone in mine too...

I've heard a few dodgy things about Ginza actually, so you did the right thing getting it inspected.

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Holy crap, that Sw20 and that FD O_O OUTSTANDING. Two of my favourite cars of all time, done just right. You, Sir, win at automobile.

Same huffers on all, TD03-7T. Believe the autos ran less boost to protect the box. Factory boost control is via electronically controlled two port solenoid so I'd assume combination of changed boost control tables and possibly retarded timing. TME_Steve has seen more roms than most so he'll most likely be able to give you the full story.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
welcome to ozvr4!

ill be quick, PFL all have AYC and with the FL, Type S came with AYC and Type V came with open Diff ;)

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
So the Leggy will make it 4! Nice- love the 250

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
@ Jay, I'm friends with Van, he's got a red AW11 that is slowly getting built up but he's going the NA and 16V route....

Anyway, as for Legnums, the rumours are that the PFL and the FL have different power outputs, until I see proof otherwise I'll say that this is wrong, all of the Auto's with traction control make less power as they run less boost, at the end of the day it's only mapping so it's irrelevant in my world anyway. All other power related maps are the same.

Apart from being older the PFL VR4's generally run an older ECU which is less desireable and the auto TCU can't be flashed in those cases (yet) whereas the later ones can.

Other than that they are much the same.

While the title is dubious this may help more :)

Requested

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joshua
Drive
1996 Toyota Soarer GT-L vvti x2, Legnum S2
Hey Jay

Good to see you around. Im pretty heavy on the mr2 forum as soaren1. I think we share similar stories. I have an gen 3 sw, aw, evo 8, fl legnum (sold last week) etc. Anyway to get down to it Im a toyota car collecter and of all the cars Ive ever had the legnum has been the best in terms of relaibility with the least amount of servicing. Man I miss it already! Good luck with your quest I would advise the FL just looks so much damn better

Top Bottom