Hopefully Leggy Owner

MR2QIK

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jay
Drive
Gen3 MR2 Turbo, FD3S S8 Type R Bathurst RX7, Lexus IS250, FL Legnum VR4
Cheers boys! I'm sure many of you have awesome additionals or previous rides.

If it weren't for the age, I'd probably have been happy with a PFL Leggy. Good to know just in case I change my mind some time.

TME_Steve - Thanks for that, I wouldn't have read it if you didn't steer me there....hahaha Yeah, I know Van. He's a top bloke!

Requested - I knew I saw your name floating around here somewhere! Very imilar stories indeed. Very re-assuring re the Legnum reliability. I'm pretty much sold on getting one.

Update, made an offer last night on a 2001 S2 Leggy Type S from VIC. Repeat again.......He's considering my offer & has to figure out what he'll do about the car being gone. Thought that would've been decided on before the car went up for sale though :001_unsure:

MR2QIK

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jay
Drive
So the seller declined my offer & is after a price I'm simply not willing to pay (can't justify it for what it is). But the plot's thickened......

Ginza called me the other day about the rust & the inspection report. The owner politely requested the pictures so that he could have it repaired either way. He had his "trusted" repairer from Greenacre take a look & quote him for the repair today. Comes out to be close to $1000. He offered to repair it & honour my original offer. Pictures of the rust/underbody below:

30-04-13116.jpg

30-04-13111.jpg

30-04-13110.jpg

30-04-13108.jpg

30-04-13104.jpg

30-04-13102.jpg

MR2QIK

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jay
Drive
30-04-13101.jpg

30-04-13099.jpg

30-04-13097.jpg

30-04-13095.jpg

30-04-13094.jpg

30-04-13088.jpg

30-04-13087.jpg

30-04-13086.jpg

MR2QIK

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jay
Drive
Trying not to be too trustworthy here, but the seller has been reasonable in this instance (was expecting worse from a dealer). He gave me the contact details for State Roads for the inspection, genuinely believing nothing would appear. But now that something has appeared, he's willing to repair it out of his own pocket. I was quite upfront in saying I'm skeptical of the quality of any repairs given he is a businessman (needs to minimise loss/max profit), but he's willing to have the car repaired now & is not expect a single cent from me until I've seen it & inspected it in its final state & am satisfied with the quality. I asked if the repairer would warrant it & stand by his work & of course said "yes" - but I don't think that's really worth anything.

I'm no expert on metals, but have repaired rust on my old AW11 (took frunk to bare metal) after a clutch fluid spill caused some surface rust & was confident with the results.

So now I'm seeking an outside opinion.........? If the car is repaired properly, would I be silly to proceed?

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Your skepticism is warranted. I wouldn't take that car if they paid me.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
My opinion? Yes. It's a buyer's market for 8G VR4s, so keep looking & you'll find something way better. Just too risky by the looks of it.

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
GTI, GTI, FL Manual Legnum VR4
5th pic down, oil leak? seems a bit far back on the motor to be spill from an oil change

Schneider

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
PFL Legnum Vr4
Some of the rust looks like it may have progressed beyond the surface. Seeing it on suspension components, bolts & subframe is a little worrying. I'd forget it. Maybe try the white s2 at Xtreme Motorsport. Looks like they have given it a good clean up. With all these cars fresh from japan you may need to think about doing the major service.

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/mitsubishi-legnum-2000-14509160?base=1216&vertical=Car&cr=9&eapi=2&__N=1246%201252%201247%201282%204294964597%204294957255%201216&num=15&silo=Stock&sort=default

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
I guess whether you should take it or not also depends on what your offer on it was. If the dealer has accepted a really low price then maybe its still worth it.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
You mean, pass on this one, too rusty....

An AW11 is one thing, you don't really have a choice there, there are plenty of others out there with no rust, why buy one that had had at least some of it's metal thickness removed, unless there are other redeeming features I wouldn't....

And it doesn't have to hurt ginza, maybe they'll find another....

MR2QIK

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jay
Drive
All good points. Guess it was appealing since the rest of the car came out quite nice & has the small few mods I'd have wanted (head unit, rims, sussy, exhaust, intake, boost gauge, bov). Flawless interior too, lowish mileage (inspector thinks it's consistent with 75 odd) & all for $10k with 12mths rego.

With the exception of the rust, it was nicer than the one @ Xtreme & they want more. Might take a second look @ Xtreme & see if they'd accept about $11k & 12mths rego. Not exactly a lowball offer but they're seemingly not as willing to move. Honestly seen many Evos from there & honestly they don't usually sell the best quality.

BFun

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ben
Drive
'99 Legnum VR-4 Type-S
All good points. Guess it was appealing since the rest of the car came out quite nice & has the small few mods I'd have wanted (head unit, rims, sussy, exhaust, intake, boost gauge, bov). Flawless interior too, lowish mileage (inspector thinks it's consistent with 75 odd) & all for $10k with 12mths rego.

With the exception of the rust, it was nicer than the one @ Xtreme & they want more. Might take a second look @ Xtreme & see if they'd accept about $11k & 12mths rego. Not exactly a lowball offer but they're seemingly not as willing to move. Honestly seen many Evos from there & honestly they don't usually sell the best quality.

Got mine from Xtreme. AYC pump failure (warning light taken out of dash), rusty catback and bad tie rod ends. Oh... And none of it covered by warranty apparently.

The compliance place they take it to is pretty crap too, didnt do anything apart from a cat and 3 child restraints into the chassis (didnt even get rid of the metal shavings). Don't believe their spiel about getting a full service either.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Would you consider a galant, their is a really nice auto galant for sale.... REALLY nice....

Casurina26 on here is your guy if you are....

The Borg

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Daniel
Drive
2000 face lift Legnum VR4 manual
Yep good call stay away from Ginza. I got mine from them while it was fresh off the boat after getting all the dodged mechanical papers they did, then getting it off them it came to my lawyer and a RTA inspector talking to them and threatening legal action before they coughed up the cash to fix it. Everyone should be steered clear of that yard.
Ranting over that MR2 :drool:, sexy, just sexy. Welcome on board:D

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Everyone should steer clear of ANY car yard on Parramatta Road.

All are dodgy farkers..

MR2QIK

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jay
Drive
Needs to be a wagon unfortunately, so Galant not an option. Pretty much scoured through every car trading site & have run out of prospects. All that's left is either out of state or a bit too high in mileage.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive

Black_Ice

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Aamir
Drive
WRX
Needs to be a wagon unfortunately, so Galant not an option. Pretty much scoured through every car trading site & have run out of prospects. All that's left is either out of state or a bit too high in mileage.
Be patient and the right one will come up for sale...don't get the one from ginza just cause yr excited and want one (I know it's hard to resist)...I wouldn't touch the one from ginza either..

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
importing no go? Formanth is selling his from japan still i think

Top Bottom