How do we level our headlights to be exact?

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Right. I'm a bit of a question asker today aren't i?
Alright. I want to know how to properly adjust our headlights and level them to be the same as one another.
Now, i know we've got one knob that controls the direction of the light pointing out the side and one knob that controls the direction up or down (fiddled with it last night) .
I just want to know how to get the two levelled properly. Will i need to take it to get professionally done by a workshop?

headlights2nb2.jpg

headlightsep1.jpg

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Yeah i'm keen to know as well.... One of the lights on the white car is setup to search for koalas lol

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Same, when you look at my HID's they don't even look remotely the same birghtness due to their crazy pointedness.

I thought it just added to the personality of my car :p

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Same, when you look at my HID's they don't even look remotely the same birghtness due to their crazy pointedness.

I thought it just added to the personality of my car :p

And I thought the JZA80 Toyota Supra was the Marty Feldman of automobiles...

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
mine look pretty much the same as yours dimi, but theyre ok haha.. they atleast work haha.. i didnt know you could change the rotation or whatever!

i thought it was either pointed down, or (when you put the globe upside down) blind other drivers haha

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
There's some details in one of the manuals (quite possibly the one we have hosted on here) - I was reading about it a couple of weeks ago as my lamp beams end about five metres in front of my car :banghead: I'll see if I can find it in the next couple of days and post it up (unless someone else finds it first).

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Nope, the 6A13 manual, not 6A13TT. It's the one we've had hosted on here for ages. There shouldn't be any difference for the VR4 though as it's got an identical headlight setup to the lower-spec'ed cars.

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
Nice! Maybe we should make this sticky thread too??

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Well soon you'll all have your shiny new Workshop Manuals, so I expect when that happens there'll be some changes to the way certain information on here is organised, I'm sure ;)

Mac Dog

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Macca
Drive
Red 1997 Legnum
In regards to head lamp adjustment, is it the nut or the strange washer/bottle top thing that you need to turn?

Last night I put in some brighter globes and they're point towards the sky!!! I fiddled with the nuts (haha no pun) in the dark but they didn't seem to make a difference (my life story! hahahha).

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
If you turn the nut it should also turn the washer, You have to turn them alot to get a little amount of movement.

Mac Dog

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Macca
Drive
Red 1997 Legnum
After having another look under the bay, I didn't realise that where that strange bottle top thing is, there is a spot where you can place a phillips head screw driver to adjust the bottle top. I'll have a squizz when I get home.

Mac Dog

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Macca
Drive
Red 1997 Legnum
I remember when I was searching the forum on how to adjust the head lights, I remember someone mentioning they had put the globes in upside down. I thought to myself "how the hell can you do that?". Any way I had a look at the globes through the lense and the globes weren't sitting properly in their housing. I took the connections off and rotated the globe until it sat in the housing correctly. And what do you know, they perfect now!

quincy777

Crunching Gears
First Name
Cam
Drive
Legnum VR4
you get what you pay for, the inspections in Japan are no less picky then what you will be when you get unless you dont give a crap.

G

Unregistered
Doing the adjustment against a brick wall is easier than a plain wall as the lines of bricks act as a guide.

Also, has anyone noticed that our low beams seem to set overly low? High beam is fine, but low hardly have any throw to them.

I figured this was because of they were originally intended to be pottering around little Japanese streets. Everyone over there actually turns their headlights off when at the traffic lights so as not to annoy drivers waiting on the opposite site.

Bonus weird fact for the day - when you are the last car in a traffic jam it's courtesy to turn your hazards on to let others coming up from behind know that the cars ahead have stopped.

Top Bottom