How much oil needed

junior

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
2000 Type S Legnum
Hi all, I have spent the past 3 hours reading threads and trying to find out how much oil is required for an engine and auto trans service. I now know the oil should be fully synthetic 10W-40 and the tranny is SPIII but how much:confused:

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
The engine oil should be 0w30 or 5w30 and you need about 4.5 litres.

The gearbox oil should be either Mitsi SP3 or Amsoil ATF and you need about 10-12 litres for a full flush

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
approx 4.5L for engine and think i bought 10L for my trans flush that i did myself
beaten to it i shouldn't talk on the phone while reading posts. but nice to see i was right

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Assuming you're talking about an auto transmission - ATF SPIII won't go too well in a manual ;)

junior

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
2000 Type S Legnum
The engine oil should be 0w30 or 5w30 and you need about 4.5 litres.

I thought that was a bit light on? I was leaning more towards 10-15W-40, is this okay is is it just a individuals choice?

Gary

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Nope, 0w30 is the best choice, and Amsoil happen to make a particularly great oil in that grade.

junior

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
2000 Type S Legnum
Thanks, I happen to know a rep for Penrite, any feedback on their oil or should I just stick with the Amsoil.

Sorry for all the questions but the last car I serviced regulary was my old XW Fairmont and oil for that was easy but this is a different kettle of fish.

Gary

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
IMO, there's something about Penrite & Pennzoil.. i've used both on my car and previous one (6A12).. and it made the engine run harsh and the lifters ticked like there's no tomorrow..

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
I bought 4 bottles of the Pennzoil Synth 10w40 for my 850CSi and it ran fine on it. My primary reason for choosing Pennzoil was that it came in 5 litre bottles rather than 4 litres like most other brands. The 850CSi needs about 9 litres for a change! Damn V12's!

G

Unregistered
Assuming you're talking about an auto transmission - ATF SPIII won't go too well in a manual ;)

the original post states an AUTO trans service.

Nope, 0w30 is the best choice, and Amsoil happen to make a particularly great oil in that grade.

0w30 is fine for a car with perfect tolerances in japan.

a 50,000km + old car in australia, use 10w40 like first suggested.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
I'm not going to let this get into an argument, but I'd prefer to keep with a 30 weight oil as mitsi recommend in their manual, as the engine oil temperature is kept in check by the radiator and is only going to change a little based on ambient temp. Mitsi know the 30 weight oil is going to have a certain viscosity at operating temperature and that is what they are recommending, so it is the best option.

G

Unregistered
there wont be an argument if you consider other peoples opinions, rather than assuming you know everything.
use whatever you like, i couldn't care less.

i'm simply saying that the oil specified for a brand new car in japan is NOT going to be the right oil for the same car with larger tolerances in a hotter climate.

junior

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
2000 Type S Legnum
Re how much oil needed

there wont be an argument if you consider other peoples opinions, rather than assuming you know everything.
use whatever you like, i couldn't care less.

i'm simply saying that the oil specified for a brand new car in japan is NOT going to be the right oil for the same car with larger tolerances in a hotter climate.

No need to get in an argument guys, FYI I went for the 5w30, still need to do the ATF but.

PS. I only just noticed the topic heading, so for the confusion everyone.

Gary

junior

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
2000 Type S Legnum
Thanks brad. I am currently searching for a tutorial on changing the ATF, if anyone has a quick link, it would be very much appreciated.

Gary

Top Bottom