How to value your car when selling

G

Unregistered
So I was wondering what factors do you take into consideration when your looking to sell your vr4. And how do You come up with your price
Only reason I ask is that I'm looking to sell my galant to buy a legnum as I now need to boot space. But I'm unsure how much to put on my car.

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
If major service has been completed. Low k's good tyres, long rego, clean paint and no damage or dents. All trims in place. Everything works as factory. Aftermarket mods I've found
Usually decrease value as it shows the car has been tampered with( some
People
Don't like this). I suppose if it's been tuned and has supporting mods
It depends On buyer as if it's what they want. End of day we are not
Getting much for our cars anymore. :(

G

Unregistered
Their isn't too many legnums in a manual for sale atm Either

d3ck5

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dexter
Drive
VR4, VR6
yeah, stupid tough question as ive seen cars from 2 through to 12k. galants seems to be pricier due to not being as many around.

im not sure what youre planning, but there are a number of ways to go about this

1. sell your car as is, ask the price you want in accordance with what you want to spend and hope for the best (this'll be tough).
2. strip all of the good parts out of your car, replace with oem, sell cheap. sell parts separately, or keep for the new VR. (easier and youll get more money this way)
3. beg and plead maybe with cash incentive to swap your car with someone who already has one. (yeah tough again).

but

if you post up your spec list, im sure we can offer up suggestions without being too mean.

:)

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
I've been wondering the same thing of late. Legnum sits on the driveway undriven as I have a company car. I die a little inside everyday when I see it going to waste :(

<edit removed all details, I'll save them for the ad>

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Preface this with Sorry. You should try selling one over here, look at Dion's & AJs experience with their Legnums (should work in your favour when buying). But expect an extended sale process, expect to loose money. The rest is positive, If:

a.) You can pickup an equivalent condition Legnum for similar money with comparable mods.
b.) Your prepared to strip mods off of the Galant for reuse or resale.

Thanks,
Captain Obvious :-/

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Yeah it's definitely seems like you're somewhat stuck with a VR4 for the long haul based on the lengths of sales I've seen on here. Then again, some sell ridiculously quickly too.

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
My opinion?

Price has died for legnums as majority are 12+ years old, and are given little to no value for insurance purposes also.
Good stock car? $7-8k
Modifed car in top condition? $10-11k MAX
Most galants & legnums with truely unknown kms etc. $6-8k

Sad but true.

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
Yeah tough question to be honest.

I sold my 99 galant about 2yrs ago with a fair bit of mod's like turbo back exhaust, wheels, ebc, coilovers, evo bov, walbro, greddy strut brace, drivers side recaro, intercooler with piping and silcone top hoses, slotted rotors, cusco sway bar (cant remember if it was front or rear, only had the one on) and that also included major service, tappets changed, all 4 front control arms changed, was tuned, even had the wave spring changed in the gearbox also gave the seller a used set of brembo calipers only and a used aluminium radiator (and probably some other small mods) but ended up selling for $6.9K to be exact as i had it listed for more but was listed for a very long time and just needed to sell it because i got alot of wasted time with buyer and even the ones that showed up wasted my time.

Only thing you can do is listed it and see how you go, but i know your asking price will go down and don't be surprised what you'll get offered, i once got offered 3.5k haha. But saying all that if you list it high and keep lowering your price people will most likely think something is wrong with it.

But good luck.

G

Unregistered
98 galant
Auto
132km major service done around 85km
Hks exhaust
Bilstein coilovers
Evo8 bov
Catch can
Front pipes
Dump pipes
Hdi gt2 intercooler
Cusco hard pipe kit
Hks Oil filter relocation kit
Oil cooler
Transmission cooler
Power steering cooler
Golpher radiator
4x alpine type r speakers in the rear
Alpine splits in the front
Brembos
Slotter rotors front and rear
Evo 6 steering wheel.
Super rear wing
Cusco front and rear body braces
Braided brake line
Single din CD player
Last tme tune was around 160-165 atw
Red and black interior
image.jpg
image.jpg

Depending on price it might come with cop kit

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Previous: Black PFL Legnum
Current: TD5 Land Rover Disco
Sadly the market isnt crash hot for VR4s any more..
I managed to get $7100 for my old Legnum, relatively quickly (for a car as exclusive as these)
this was now 6 months ago though

Kms were up there, but the body and motor were all very strong.
http://www.ozvr4.com/threads/black-96-legnum.14461/

I paid $11k when i bought it 2 years and i hate to add up what i spent repairing/maintaining/upgrading it.. it'd be easily past another $10k.

d3ck5

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dexter
Drive
VR4, VR6
wow, you got some nice mods on your car and it'd suck to have to try and get those parts for a leg.

id still stick with my "strip the good parts and sell it cheaper theory".

if you leave the wheels for the looks you're likely to get more look ins.

you might find a market for people not looking for a VR but looking for a fast, cheap car. that's kinda how I bought mine. not in the market for one specifically, but just on the specs alone there was nothing I could buy in the price with that level of performance and luxury.

as for a price. you could realistically advertise it for 10k without being ridiculed by the community, but the sell price I feel wild be around 8s to 9.

ps: if you're selling the cop kit, I get dibs! :D

G

Unregistered
Cop will go on the Legnum if I do take it off if not I'll just order another one

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Move the bilsteins across. They're hard to find....

I sold mine stock for 4k. But there are modded bargains at 5 and up. It's crazy how cheap they are now, they're just not wanted it seems

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
They are in the too hard basket for
Most modifiers as they didn't really take off with aftermarket support. Not a really high volume
car so parts are harder than the average toyota to get, hence the low value. But u look at the older skylines and stuff and u find they also
Are really cheap. Import market has crashed and only appeals to the very small minority.

Jakevr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jake
Drive
99 Galant vr4 type s (auto),10 Grand Cherokee Overland(auto),91 Rodeo (350 chev th350auto).
A guy knocked on my door and offered me 5k for my manual pre facelift galant and it was rough, only good parts were relatively new clutch, turbo back exhaust and evo 10 wheels.
Body was shite, paint wasn't great, no major service done and it wasn't tuned.
You're car is mint hopefully someone will want it and pay good money for it.

PHIL069

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Phil
Drive
FTO
I was offered 14k for my Galant yesterday, but there is no way I'm selling it.
The misses is in love with it and I have put too much effort into making it a new car again.

Top Bottom