In-Dash TV with VICS

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
G'day All,

Does anyone know anything about the Mitsubishi in dash TV with a tuner that doesn't work here and VICS navigation that runs off a CD, but also doesn't work here?! :banghead:

I was wanting to know whether it is worth keeping or just ripping this stuff out.... If i could get the TV component to work that'd be cool, and i can upgrade my Alpine HU to a DVD one (screen is compatible using RCA).

At the moment i have a 2nd CD player wired up under my passengers seat with the rest of the TV and VICS components lol

Even if someone could point me to a useful thread then that'd be great!

Cheers,

Dawso

G

Unregistered
i'm interested to know if we can get the sat nav working too.. mine came with the sat nav, screen, etc.. but i ripped it all out in favour for my dvd deck.. as the sat nav thought i was in the ocean just off of japan....

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Tell me about it! It was quite entertaining to watch.... But highly useless.... I wouldn't mind getting someone with a bit of knowledge in the matter to find out whether i can get the TV component to work here, even if i have to replace the tuner for it........ That or i can just do a car-puter with HD tuner card, which could attract some interest on here because it sounds like there is a lot of computer nerds on here (including me :))

Mrk_VR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
1998 VR-4 Legnum
If you have the factory TV tuner, which is sounds like you do, then yes you can quite easily get TV, DVD, Reverse camera etc on you screen via the tuners AV input. I have digital TV in mine through the factory TV tuner, and am about to hook up a HDD media player so i can watch DVD's, play MP3's etc all through the stock sound system. I will be writing up a "How To" on this shortly, hopefully this weekend (time permitting), or you can see what i have done in my members ride thread (link in sig). As for Sat nav, maps of Australia that are compatable with the system used by mitsubishi are required and they need to be incorperated in the MMCS firmware inplace of all the japanese ones. Unfortunately these maps don't seem to be available as far as i know, and many others have searched high and low for a way to do it and have come up with nothing, so i wouldn't hold your breath for it. But that's not to say it's not possible, in some way, shape or form.

I recon its worth keeping as the picture quality of the screen is very good, and the touch screen control of the radio, CD, TV, aircon is very nice feature. Plus you can't completely remove the system as the main navi unit in the boot and the display must stay to control the aircon, unless you can get a hold of all the aircon stuff from a non MMCS VR4 and swap it accross (i'm not sure how easy this is). So really the only part you can replace is the radio unit with another single din unit for CD, radio, etc, and then you have the screen there only displaying aircon controls when it could be used for TV and all the other stuff to if the system is left in tact.

G

Unregistered
mine wasnt MMCS, it was just a mitsubishi satnav/screen/cd player setup.

Mrk_VR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
1998 VR-4 Legnum
Ahh, well that would be different. I can't say i've come accross one of those, heard them mentioned before but never seen one.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Same, mine is a single DIN fold out screen..... The rest of the system i have moved from dash to under the passenger seat (ie. CD reader/player for NAV and TV etc), climate control is a separate unit and i have installed my aftermarket HU in the DIN space from where the orginal CD player was. My Alpine HU can't integrate with the screen hence keeping the original gear. VICS maps are on a data CD which needs to be inserted for it to work. VICS will not work here as it synchronises off a series of sensors on Japanese roads.... SO that component of i know i can get rid of. I would love to get the TV component going though and upgrade to a DVD HU which will work on the screen through RCA connection. Shame the screen isn't touch though lol.......

That, or i could go with the car-puter :D

G

Unregistered
Well if you ever wanted to sell the TV unit I would be happy to buy it. ;)
Thats the only thing missing from my MMCS system :cool:

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Oooh cool, its not an MMCS touch screen though...... But if you still want it i'll let you know whether i am going to pull it out or not...... If i do, it's all yours lol......

G

Unregistered
Oooh cool, its not an MMCS touch screen though...... But if you still want it i'll let you know whether i am going to pull it out or not...... If i do, it's all yours lol......
Yea I'm not after the actual screen, just the MMCS TV Tuner unit TU-8790.

Try and get it working if you can.

Chris Rogers

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Chris Rogers
Drive
wagon
someone in brisbane drop me one of these cars for a few days and I'll have a fiddle :) PREF MMCS version.
dont care if the TV module is in it or not. going for a custom solution that will use the TV button. will net: NAV,TV,DVD etc when I', done.

just need a mule.

G

Unregistered
ohh.. good to see you're willing to have a look at the VR-4's chris...
i've seen a lot of your wondrous work on SAU.

Chris Rogers

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Chris Rogers
Drive
wagon
they present a challenge to me. I like challenges :)

btw - if anyone needs a 10 disc cartridge for the OE mitsi stacker tell me - I have one.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
I would love to be the mule! I only live 7 hours away though :mad: Plus the fact that mine is not MMCS anyways!

I'm no expert but i know my way around a little so i was going to do some stuff with mine, i'll keep this thread open and update it once i've made some mods and let you guys know how i go.

And you should be right for the tuner, i think i'm going with a digital top box for the screen! :D

Hipsi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trav
Drive
D40 Navara
I've tried my Addzest DVD/NAV unit with an Aussie map DVD for Denso units. No go. I was hoping that the system booted off the DVD, but it obviously boots from a firmware and looks for the particular Clarion Road Explorer disc. I'd say the logical way around it would be to get hold of a broken aussie OEM unit and see if u can swap out the bios chip. Couldn't really think of any other way to do it.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Well....... I have the whole unit running..... I have static on 50 channels on the TV, radio with frequencies below 79mHz, VICS which won't work, and 3/4 of the screen menus AND ALL of the remote in Japanese lol.........

Does anyone know how to tune the TV? Thats the only component i would like to get working!

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
As far as I know you wont be able to get it working due to the different frequencies used in Australia.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Cheers Pete, thats what i thought. I'll have to go down and get a DC powered digital tuner now with NTSC compatability.....Wallet says - "GROAN"

Mrk_VR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
1998 VR-4 Legnum
They can actually be had quite cheaply, the one i'm using cost me all of $40 and is only the size of a deck of cards, runs off ~8-16VDC and has the ability to extend the IR sensor so it can be mounted out of view and the sensor put in a place where it can be easily controlled. Its a Telefunken TDR986.

Top Bottom