Increasing Torque

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Mate I haven't actually looked at anything yet.

Wanted to ask the question on here & get answers from people who actually have a clue about this stuff before I try it hehe.

I'm more at home on an XBox.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
New Flywheel? Lighter wheels?

Actually you raise another question from me;

Are flywheels the same between manuals & autos ? I've really got no idea in that area....

Thanks for all the tips coming guys! I'm saving these all into a spreadsheet! :D

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Cams, throttle body and flywheels are all very expensive and require a lot of work too. A simple $100 manual boost controller will give more gains than all three of those combined.

The auto's don't have a flywheel, they have a big torque converter instead.

As for lighter wheels - yes they can help quite a bit with fuel economy, performance, and handling. How heavy are your wheels at the moment?

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
All I know about my rims is that they're Rays Versus .. something.. 17inch.

Can torque converters be modified or whatever to improve performance?

These are all in line for the Super.

merlin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
Evolution IX
The VR4 turbos are sized for low-end early boost/torque so that aspect is covered.

Its hard to make power if the engine cant breath, so all the intercooler and associated scaled-up plumbing mods are gold.

Leave the throttle body alone, its ok for the total power the engines make and increasing the throat size wont aid low/mid rpm response, just top-end.

The stock cats are the bigest plumbing restriction, followed by the intercooler, no question. Spend $ on these.

That leaves you with getting the turbo spooled quicker (I am assuming some boost controler set to 12-14psi is in place already). How to get the turgo spooled quicker?

1. Ignition timing in the 1500-2500 rpm band, try and get some more timing in hear without knock.

2. Adjustable Cam Wheels, these can definately get more "area under the curve" on your dyno printouts, and that equates to more low end torque. These can be used to good effect on the stock cam as well, they dont have to hot cams.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
Nope no boost controllers or anything (yet).

This is a theoretical question. Something I've been scratching my head about as 99% of people are "wow check out my kW I'm making" but what about the person who wants to see "wow check my nM of torque!"?

Having said that, I still scratch trying to understand what exactly IS torque for that matter.... :mellow:

Emu

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Wayne
Drive
1999 Galant VR4 1993 HJ V6
Hey Brad, Performance Imports current Mag no. 111 has "The Ultimate Guide" for VR4s. Check it out for some prices of mods and limited descriptions. May help answer some of your questions.

Then, when are you putting on a BBQ and we are attacking the Super... hahahaha

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
Hey Brad, Performance Imports current Mag no. 111 has "The Ultimate Guide" for VR4s. Check it out for some prices of mods and limited descriptions. May help answer some of your questions.

Then, when are you putting on a BBQ and we are attacking the Super... hahahaha

Haha I've got no money for mods at all for a LOOOONG time. :cry:
Need to get that nasty credit card debt down to more acceptable levels.
Someone buy my king bed suite so I can settle my GE Money bills!!!!

I would love to be able to start modding, but yea there's a few things I need to take care of first. I've got my priorities straight dude.

We should organise a BBQ sometime & we can stare & drool at the Super :drool:
We've never done a BBQ in NSW eh boys ?

I must say though, the increasing torque questions are not aimed at the Legnums ;)

Emu

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Wayne
Drive
Haha I've got no money for mods at all for a LOOOONG time. :cry:
Need to get that nasty credit card debt down to more acceptable levels.
Someone buy my king bed suite so I can settle my GE Money bills!!!!
Don't tell me the wife conned you in to buying a big screen to watch Home and Away??? (y)

We should organise a BBQ sometime & we can stare & drool at the Super :drool:
We've never done a BBQ in NSW eh boys ?

I must say though, the increasing torque questions are not aimed at the Legnums ;)
Sounds like a plan... Umm.... so if not a Legnum, what are you thinking and does the wife know about this???

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
Don't tell me the wife conned you in to buying a big screen to watch Home and Away??? (y)
Hell no. I have a high-definition CRT TV. Best quality picture ever! (y)

Sounds like a plan... Umm.... so if not a Legnum, what are you thinking and does the wife know about this???
Yes the wife knows, but no I'm not saying anything until things become more concrete. * cough cough-Toureg V10 TDI-cough cough *

Emu

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Wayne
Drive
Yes the wife knows, but no I'm not saying anything until things become more concrete. * cough cough-Toureg V10 TDI-cough cough *

Hmm.. So I'll see you down at the VW nationals next year....

How about an engine transplant... I'm thinking (from VW's stable) a Veyron W16 with 4 turbos and 10 radiators. You can try it out on the F3...

Do zero to Sydney in 6 seconds..... (y) hehehehe

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
How about an engine transplant... I'm thinking (from VW's stable) a Veyron W16 with 4 turbos and 10 radiators. You can try it out on the F3...
Do zero to Sydney in 6 seconds..... (y) hehehehe

Haha ... & go up the big dipper & launch it into space !

Might just buy myself a helicopter instead. Plus an IV drip of travel sickness & anti-height scaredness fluids!

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Just buy yourself a manual boost controller and see what you think of your car then. It will only be $100 or so.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
Just buy yourself a manual boost controller and see what you think of your car then. It will only be $100 or so.

I know it's not much yea ... but have to fix the Traction Control & air-con on the Super first..

Top Bottom