NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
GTI, GTI, FL Manual Legnum VR4
hi guys,

for areas like flare stripes, black plastic the side view mirrors and window frames. what are you all using to keep them looking fresh and not faded? mine look pretty rubbish and overall make the car look very aged when it is actually in good condition except for those plastics. some kind of permanent fix would be ideal or at least not having to apply something every wash

i think i'll probably have to paint my B pillars, the passenger and driver ones are pretty ordinary

Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
Definitely paint the pillars. I used plastidip which is ok but something with a light gloss would be better.

For my Legnum's black parts (black parts of the super body kit) I use a tyre black that's advertised to work on plastic. Naturally it doesn't last a long time but it's pretty quick to apply.

GMan

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jet
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
You can also use a light polish on the pillars and they come up very well.

Bradleh

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Bradley
Drive
1997 Super Leggy
I used to use Meguires gold class trim detailer... comes up real nice and lasts about a month or 2.... you only need to use a small amount as well.

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
I use the gold class trim retailer from meguires aswell. But like anything. Will
Only last a few weeks

Bradleh

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Bradley
Drive
1997 Super Leggy
the funny thing is, with the trim detailer. The more shitty the condition of the plastic the better it works.

I.E has a rougher surface for the liquid to absorb into.

MatiLP640

5W4G0N
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt
Drive
1999 Black Legnum VR4
But its not a plastic, I reckon that for pillars something like this will be better: www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Mothers-California-Gold-Micro-Polishing-Glaze-473mL.aspx?pid=3677#Recommendations and if its really bad something like this: www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Mothers-California-Gold-Pure-Polish-473mL.aspx?pid=3672#Recommendations and for plastics: if you want just restore www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Mothers-Naturally-Black-Trim-Plastic-Restorer-355mL.aspx?pid=366466 and if you want polish you can find mothers plastic polish but I dont see it in SCA

Its not the best brand but you can buy it in SCA and is much better than Megs ;) and if you want something better you need to look on typical car care shops ;) and BTW only polishing/restoring will be max for month if weather will be good ;) after it, you need to use good cleaner and then put good quallity wax ;) if you want more shiny use natural wax if you want longer lasting use synthetic one ;)

slickd1

Wizard
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matthew Dundon
Drive
1998 EC5W Manual Legnum.
totally plastidipping mine after hearing this, the whole thing could do with a clean up. so much fade

Blackbird

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2001 ADM Evo 6.5 Makinen Edition,
2001 Legnum VR-4 Type S Written off,
2000 Legnum VR-4 Type S Manual with 23,489km!!
I use silicone spray (or tyre shine.. generic blue can stuff from Super cheap works ok) on a rag and slowly go around everything with my finger wrapped in the rag... I plasti-dipped my rear side window rubber mouldings and a year later they still look awesome...

I've bought the 4 trim strips for all four doors (the top of the doors where the window goes) from amayama for when I get the scratch on the L/H side fixed (one day) thing is with polish it takes a lot of the black off the door window frames... i'll get them repainted when i get the scratch done...

MatiLP640

5W4G0N
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt
Drive
1999 Black Legnum VR4
I plasti-dipped my rear side window rubber mouldings and a year later they still look awesome...

But plastidip comes only with mat (not gloss) colours so Im guessing that you wanted to keep it shine and glossy. May I ask how did you do it? And what about efficiency, how many cans you needed?

Brenton

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brenton
Drive
97 PFL legnum
One can would easily be enough. I used three for a set of wheels. I used aerosol acrylic clear once the plasidip dried properly to make them glossy. If your going to acrylic clear though you might aswell use acrylic paint for the basecoat.

MatiLP640

5W4G0N
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt
Drive
1999 Black Legnum VR4
hmmm I reckon plastidip would be better cause its more flexible and this is rubber so have to be flexible... but thanks for tip ;) btw there is any chance that you can take a photo for me how glossy it is? :)

MatiLP640

5W4G0N
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt
Drive
1999 Black Legnum VR4
I can wait for them ;) no worries, if you can try take them with some details ;) and thank you so much for it :)

Blackbird

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
Think I used like half a can for both sides... 3 coats... came up like a heavy coat of matt black... used butchers paper and 2" masking tape to do them...

easy as... sure beats replacing them!!!

MatiLP640

5W4G0N
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt
Drive
1999 Black Legnum VR4
Ok, but you left them matt black? For me only glossy will look ok, and the best as closest to mirror as possible, so plastidip its bad idea, I also was thinking about glossy black vinyl, I want all frames and mirror in the same colour, I can use just glossy black acrylic paint but Im not sure about this, especially rear side window frame cause its rubber, not plastic or metal :/

Blackbird

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
Yes I left them matt black... plastidip right off the can...you can paint the rubber gloss but not sure if it'd last..don't forget to post pics!!!

MatiLP640

5W4G0N
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt
Drive
1999 Black Legnum VR4
Exactly... Hmmm I need to think about this more... Maybe some flexible vinyl and plastic gloss black paint... And yes, Ill post pics for sure ;)

Top Bottom