Koyo Type R Radiator and Golpher Radiator. Any other Options?

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
Hey guys, just doing some research on some radiators. The car started to get a little warm on the track so I thought I'd look into it now to see what's available.

From what I can see there are the Gopher units and the Koyo Type Rs.

Firstly, are there any other brands of bolt in upgraded radiators I'm missing here?

Secondly, are there many people here running the Koyo type R?

I have seen one of the gopher units and I must admit I wasn't thrilled with the quality of it so I'm looking around for other options.

Feel free to post up photos guys, the reason I'm starting a new thread is so all the upgraded radiator information is in one spot, there are a lot of threads with bits of information but most of them just talk about the Gopher unit so here is a thread for all the info.

Thanks guys and fire away.

veegeeta

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
shane
Drive
fto with 6A13TT & bf xr6 turbo
I got one made by radiator world in wa (www.radiatorworld.com.au) cost $1000 + $100 del qld. extreemly good quality and aussie made. Not cheap chinese ones . Was happy with it mabe give them a call.

Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
I have a Koyo, not sure which model specifically though it seems to have a copper tank and is a little thicker than the factory radiator. On the track temps fluctuate by around 8 deg Celcius - not much at all. I have a digital readout of water temp so I know it doesn't get much higher than low 90's with normal idle around 85-86 for me. On the road it's pretty rare to see it hit 90C.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
The Koyo radiators are copper not aluminium so that sounds right. Do you have any pictures of it? How does it look quality wise?

veegeeta

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
shane
Drive
fto with 6A13TT & bf xr6 turbo
Only whats on my intro profile which is in the car , sory mate. I cant seem to work out how to do it, steve put my pics up.
Got any pictures to put up on this thread?

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
Alright, no dramas mate, does anyone else have any experience with any other radiators or the Koyos?

G

Unregistered
Yea mate Iv bought bout 10 and fitted 8 over my 8 year experience, 9 come from SCARLES in NZ who bought bulk from china of no name brand and we had issues with our GB many years ago with bananring top tanks from weld heat,and some had issues with the top tank mount and or fan bolt hole alignment. For me they never created issues as I had a full workshop of tools so I altered most, I still have 1 new SCARLES 1 and another brand I brought in from china WICH I can take images of for you.. Roughly they cost bout $420 delivered overseas,the SCARLES ones we pik up for round $249.

nevertheless they work fine and are 52mm thick afaik and keep nice and cool on track

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
I was after a more quality radiator so I don't think I'd be keen on a Chinese bit of kit but the info is there for other people who are interested. Thanks for the info Q.

Anyone else have any other experience?

rbrtpalin

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Robert
Drive
VR-4 Galant 1996 Model
Hey all.
I replaced mine out with a Gopher. So far no issues, but have not taken it to the track. I had overheating issues with my car at the track with the original radiator (probably because my coolant was too concentrated when i changed it) so took the oportunity to start some bling and put a polished one in there, Will let you all know how it fars when i eventually get to the track early next year.
IMG_5220.JPG
IMG_5221.JPG
IMG_5222.JPG

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
If you want a quality unit stay away from the scarlez chinese units Quinton mentioned. I bought one when they had them on special for less than $150 delivered and Im not sure it was worth it even at that price.

About 2 of the holes for the fans dont line up at all so I had to do without those and the top brackets didn't line up either, only was able to use 1 bolt each side. And now it has been in for about 6-9 months I believe it may have developed a pin hole leak, so Im in the process of trying to claim warranty.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
Yeah, I'd be wanting a quality unit and I don't mind paying for one.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
I ment within reason :) I'm pretty sure a custom radiator would be around $1000.

Schneider

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
PFL Legnum Vr4
I ment within reason :) I'm pretty sure a custom radiator would be around $1000.

Ummm....Koyo Type R's typically cost $700+ and that's buying from Japan so you need to add shipping to the lump of copper...So I don't really see your point here. Heck a quick google lists them as $1400 from NZ :001_huh:
If you get a few people together and talk to PWR they could probably make up a 32mm - 40mm radiator for ~$700 and they'd keep the specs laying around. If you're serious about your engine and tracking the car its the one supporting mod you don't skimp on.

If you're finding them cheaper, jump on the bargain and ignore my comment

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
I found a guy selling them for around $450 plus postage from Japan so I'd say that still a fair bit cheaper than organising a custom one plus how would I organise a custom one from Darwin? Besides, I highly doubt I'd be able to find the people required and be willing to drop ~$700 on a radiator.

I don't plan on skimping (like I said to a degree) on a radiator that's why I started this thread to get information on available radiators because I wasn't happy with the quality of the Gopher radiators or the Chinese ones. That's not having a dig at anyone who does have them and like them, each to their own, I'm just really picky.

Thanks for your information though mate, it shows there are a few more options available.

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
What did u go with in the end Macca?

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
I haven't bought one yet, I need new tires and rego then I'm getting some front pipes made up by Adam(eyecandy) after that I have a few other things to do/get so It'll be a little while before I get one, especially because my current radiator is still practically new. When I do get one its probably going to be the Koyo.

Top Bottom