Legit or Scam?

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
Hey guys,
Received an SMS inquiry about my car for sale through the carsales.com add. I replied and to the email address he provided. Something doesn't feel quite right, this is the reply email he has sent me:

Thanks for getting back,i'm cool with the price likewise the condition as described on the advert,i work with New Zealand Oil and Gas (NZOG) and we are presently offshore in New Zealand Taranaki Basin on kupe project.We do not have access to phone at the moment and that's why I contacted you with internet messaging facility.Please does it have any more or additional history I should be aware of and where is it located at the moment.I am buying it for my first son who just graduated ontop of his class at Charles Darwin University in NT ,He studied Building Design & Architecture. I want it to be the perfect graduation gift and a surprise package for him and I will really appreciate if you can email more info.

Regarding the payment,i will be paying you through PayPal linked up with my ANZ bank account,please get back to me with your paypal details so i can process the payment,you can alternatively send your bsb acct name and number if you have no PayPal acct.I have been introduce to a reputable shipping company that will handle the delivery in Darwin after the whole fund has been cleared into your account.Await your reply.

Kind Regards,
Desmond.

Now here is what makes me think something is a bit off...
1. Cant only contact me via the internet - he has provided me with a reason for this but I dont know...
2. He has provided me with a lot of information about what he and his son are up to, almost like he is trying to create a back story to make him seem legit - maybe he is just that sort of person
3. Wants to pay through paypal - This sent up some red flag's for me as I have heard of paypal scams and know paypal can take payment back if the buyer says they didn't receive the goods and that sort of things. He has also said he will pay via bank transfer, so maybe its ok.
4. He seems to buy the car without inspection, just based on my add and my word - I personally have trouble trusting people over the internet so this seems a little odd

What do you guys think? Legit or Scam?

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
Clearly a scam. Working on any type of offshore rigging equipment with no fixed address is a dead give away.

douwboy

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Joshua
Drive
2000 Legnum pearl white, manual, sunroof
I'm really thinking that this is a scam because I have had something similar done to me a few years back and lost an mp3 over it. I would look into it a bit more.

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Dodgy. Common scenario and excessively fake back story. Ignore.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
I nearly sold my Super once to a Nigerian prince. I just had to give him my bank account details so he could transfer a deposit.

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
Yeah when i sold a car on gumtree i got a message kinda like that but his from Australia but in the U.K. on holidays and returning soon to Oz and wanted my paypal or if i dont have one then my bsb, acc, name etc...
And it was a mobile message when trying to call a few times to talk i never got a call back or message or anything.

Sorry to hear :( i know how much you wanna sell because of payments and having extra car's sounds good but then rego, insurance, parts, labour doesnt sound good haha.

Good luck champ.

G

Unregistered
Haha, oil rig.. classic scam. Don't need to read any further.

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
Ask more probing questions to filter out the lies. Kupe project is legit and 50% owned by origin energy so maybe there is some truth there. Be extra cautious. But dont want to miss out on a legit sale too.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Not legit, don't waste your time unless you want to have some fun and waste a Nigerians time.

Itchy Scrot

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Luke
Drive
Legnum & scrotary
Scam.

1 They don't say anything specific about your vehicle.
2 Its offshore.
3 His son is in the NT and you're in NSW... so why pay the extra for transport..
4 Too much writing. People that want to buy stuff are waaaay more abbrupt, and leave contact details.

Everytime I've sold a car (three times now) via GumTree or CarSales, i get something similar. One was from a kid overseas wanting to buy a modified two-door for his "great mother". ...Dafuq?! :001_huh:

Please ignore that email.

Maybe, request in your advert for people to call you directly (and state you don't answer calls from private numbers)???

Edit- Also, if you do decide to reply to to that email, make a note of their email reply time and email address. If the reply comes back with sentences of respones and in about 1 minute (ie, too fast to physically type), or it comes from another email address, you can bet your nuts its a scam. But yeah, this smacks of scam. Don't touch it. (Or rather have fun with it :p )

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
The paypal scam works on them paying you too much "by accident". They then ask for the extra amount to be refunded through bank transfer or paypal before the initial payment clears (which it never will). The original payment then bounces and you are left having paid them the extra amount.

And any Nigerian Princes/Oil & Gas people are all scams. Had heaps of them last time I sold something on gumtree. Basically anyone who wants to buy it without looking at it is a scam.

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
Ask for him to send an email from his work email account for instance? Surely if he is legit and sent on business he would have a work email account.

wendnarb

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ben
Drive
1998 VR4 legnum
Eh just reply saying you have changed your mind and want to double the price. I bet you that he will reply and say that is okay, please send me your paypal, acc, name etc.

Top Bottom