Legit or Scam?

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
When I received an email like this and got a long winded story, I replied asking them when they wanted my Nigerian bank account details. They replied with 'lol' and left me alone.

vr4ssz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Shane
Drive
98 PFL Legnum VR-4, 2005 VZ SSZ, 1991 Cressida (1jz converted)
My dad got done with a scam like that, was with a mobile phone. Also my Uncle got a message like that when he was trying to sell his MS137 Crown. Even offered him an extra $2000 for it.

tidy legnum

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Duane
Drive
mitsubishi legnum , mitsubishi magna
I had this guy wanting to buy my fairmont for his dad in NZ. Even offered more cos it was "pristine" but wanted me to pay for transport first then he would refund me. Transport was more than the car was worth. If anyone gets this, tell them the goods stay with you untill their payment has cleared and the money is in your hand. and definately DONTgive your account details bank, paypal, local bowls anything to anyone.

Aussie_Wolf93

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Brodie
Drive
'93 Mazda B2600
I just had a reply on my car sale ad on gumtree
it was pretty much word for word EXACTLY the same

"Thanks for mailing back,am ok with the price and the condition,i work with New Zealand Oil and Gas (NZOG) and we are presently offshore in New Zealand Taranaki Basin on kupe project.We do not have access to phone at the moment,its 15days off and 15days on and that's why I contacted you with internet messaging facility.Regarding the payment,i will be paying you through PayPal,please get back to me with your paypal details so i can process the payment,you can alternatively send your bsb and acct number if you have no PayPal acct.I have also contacted my courier who will come for pick up and deliver it to my place in Darwin after the whole fund has been cleared into your acct.
Await your reply"

Scradam

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Adam
Drive
Manual Series 2 VR4 Legnum
"I have contacted my courier".

Sounds familiar. I was trying to sell an electric guitar on gumtree and got contacted by someone claiming to be a girl living in Sydney wanting to pay $500 more than the listed price.
She gave me some huge backstory, by memory she worked for a charity organisation and would have an assessor pick it up and personally fly it over to her after she got back from holidays in the UK.

I played it out and eventually got a physically oversized cheque in the mail for $4500 marked 'woolworths dividends' along with a message saying "Oops, I've overpaid you. Keep an extra $700 and send the rest back."
Spoke to the bank just before cashing it in and they told me it was a common scam. It was a legitimate cheque... the funds would appear available in my account while the bank processes the cheque.
The scammer expected me to send 'her' the overpaid money before the cheque has fully cleared.

Just in case, I cashed the cheque anyway. Would have been rude not to try for $4500! It bounced as expected and the bank let me keep it as a souvenir.

Top Bottom