Legnum accessories and options

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
Hi all

Alright, I’m new to the forum and have been looking into getting a legnum. Some people have been telling me their gearboxes are weak, you can’t get much power out of the engine and parts are really expensive and hard to get.

Most of the answers to those problems have already been answered in other threads but any additional info would be great.

So what I wanted to find out is what models are there and what comes with what? I know there are pre facelift's and facelift's but what are they split up into and with what accessories and options available? Like High Vis Dash and so on.

Cheers in advance
Macca

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
The manual gearboxes are as far as I know the same as the EVO 6, so they are pretty bulletproof as far as I can tell but are harder to track down then a tiptronic. Auto gearboxes need to be well looked after, if they have regular servicing, the right fluid (SPIII) and aren't thrashed when cold they are generally pretty tough. A transmission cooler (usually under $100) is recommended if you live in a hot part of OZ.
The problem is when the previous owner/s have not done these things, so making sure the box has been regularly serviced with the right oil is a must when buying. Bought my Legnum in September and have had no problems with my auto box, but it only had 40,000 on the odo and was serviced properly.
Parts are getting cheaper and easier to find as more Legnum's come into Australia and I have never had a problem tracking down parts since I bought mine.
And go onto Club VR4.com, some VR4's on there are running different turbs etc and experimenting with the engine as are some of the blokes on here. Madhav has just put some twin KKR turbos on his car, Bradc has a Leggy making big numbers and a lot of the guys on here are interested in seeing what can really be done with the 6A13 engine. Other fellas will know more than me though about variations in models etc and Im sure they'll chip in their 2c. Oh and welcome to the forum
[EDIT: Also check out valmes' VR4. Another member who is running a impressive setup.]

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
Sorry bout the black, how do you find getting the simple things like oil, air and fuel filters?

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
Never had a problem at all, even at the dealership most things are reasonably priced (not all). Some Evo's, Magna's and other Mitsi's share parts so for example brake pads can be found by looking for Evo brake pads. This site is also really helpful for finding part numbers and details if you are looking for a certain part and was great for an import noob like me.

G

Unregistered
easy, available from any repco/supercheap,

unless you want some more upmarket bits, you may need to order in, or ebay etc.

oh an not to put you off,
but in the two years i have had my VR4,
gearbox has been out twice, once for bearings, and second for a clutch,
and im on my 3rd rear diff (blew up the original in just over a year, and second one in 11months)

ive been a bit unlucky, im more of a worst case...

have a look here for problems that could happen...
http://www.ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2755

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
Ive had mine for 7 months so far, and the only problem I've had is a wallaby lol

Mines a manual, was boosted with some other goodies.. and has had a bit of a fang here and there at times.. But I haven't encountered any problems (touch wood)

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
Wow, 3 diff's is a good effort. Do many track days or just bad luck? I suppose its the same with any brand or make of cars, they have their problems every now and then. Seals are always going to wear sooner or later. Well thats good to hear that commonly replaced parts are fairly easy to come by.

This may sound stupid but whats the go with the high vis dash? Is that just a bright white dash? Also did these come with cruise control?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Ignore Carsten, he drives it like he wants to break things :)

They are good cars and can easily make 200kw ATW with a bit of tuning and boost

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
High vis just looks a whole heap better then a standard dash. Brighter, easier to read and it looks a whole lot smoother. I really like the dash on the VR4's actually. hey are on almost all VR4's.
They didn't come with cruise, annoying, but you can get it bought and fitted for like $300 if you do a lot of long trips or whatever.

G

Unregistered
oh i do not,

dont listen to brad, he never drives his

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
Fitting cruise isn't a problem. I use to do auto electrics for a while. I was just wondering if it were stock option.

Well these look like a great car, it seems exactly what i want, just gotta get some insurence quotes (I did do a search on that and read that thread). Then all i gotta do is find the one for me.

Is there anything else I should know about these cars that anyone wants to mention?

Cheers all.

cam1754

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
cameron
Drive
1996 galant vr4
BUY ONE. the only thing you gotta decide is weather you want a wagon (legnum) or sedan (galant).i love both. i got the galant and my mrs is looking at buying a legnum.either way . you gonna get a sweet car that are original and different .

G

Unregistered
Hey Macca these are very similar to an evo at a discounted price.
I would personally as I have wait and get a manual with a s/roof.
If you get a dead stock car with low kms thats the secret but luck will always play a bit of a part. I like carsten drive the car as hard as most guys want to drive Jenna Jameson but Jennas Jamesons rear diff is more reliable then carstens vr4 for sure.
I reccomend getting a car like trevs in wa which is a manual ser 2 with roof. If you can find a black if thats what your after then good luck but they are out there just super rare.
As long as you use the forum as a guide for oils and parts and keep it well serviced its as reliable as any performance car if not even more reliable.
I would straight away invest in full exhaust, ebc,fmic and a safc or a piggy back with boost controll and you will be amazed as to how well the car goes.
Good luck but seriously talk to iron chef he just got a beauty of a car last week for one of the other guys.
I would even ask him to get some parts from japan and have them thrown into the boot so when the car is complied you could install them stright away instead of waiting.

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
I guess, with every type of car out there.. There will be a few that are complete lemons, some that are destined to have continuous problems, and some that will just be absolute gems..

Luck of the draw I guess?

Top Bottom