Longer Wheel Studs

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
Hey All,

i honestly try'd doing some search regarding this and didn't find what i'm really looking for and thought i'd post a thread.

I have basically 2 sets of wheels that later will be putting a set on but didn't think of it till now, but i test fitted one wheel and the nut is holding about 12mm of thread, im guessing that's not good, so obviously i would have to buy longer wheel stud.

I have been looking at some but don't want them to long like 76mm (i read somewhere that AKKO had some ARP's but looked to long)

Now i know a few people here must have put longer studs just want to know which ones you brought and would you recommend them ?

Because i have looked and came across these two and was hoping someone has them on their car and can give me feedback on them .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mitsubish...Wheels_tyres_Trim_Nuts_ET&hash=item3f2549294e

and

http://www.ichibausa.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MT-12540

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Mine were "fine" with standard Evo offset rims and 15mm spacers...

Still running them (ARPs) now without the spacers, key being open ended wheel nuts which weren't terrible easy to find!

Actually if memory servers the H&R spacers came with some longer studs, happy to measure them for you if they might be of use?

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
AKKO - Thanks for the info, i am interested - will pm you .

CANDEE - Just seen the link - 82.5mm for the length of the stud is abit to long for my liking, because i really need about 10mm-15mm extra than the standard stud because the wheels im putting on, the longer stud wont suit the look.

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
No worries, forgot to mention the other reason I went with the ARP is I figured being a reputable brand there would be less chance of issues, hate to have one snap etc...

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
I used to have them on my Silva with a 15mm slip on spacer. Much safer than bolt ons. They were nismo brand and were about $100 for 10 studs (only needed them for the fronts). Worked well and were good quality. Obviously the wrong stud pitch for Mitsubishis.

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
I also had Nismo studs on my S13 in conjunction with a 10mm slipon, was perfect.

Surely one of the major brands makes longer studs for Evos?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ARP-100-...Accessories&hash=item53f07ae6b5#ht_589wt_1162 Something like this would be perfect - just use long shank or open-ended nuts

Yeah saw that on ebay but honestly its too long and the wheels i have if i use open ended nut they would just look crap. (i was thinking of cutting them to length i want but perfer i dont) Plus im sure thats what AKKO has on his car.

Ive actually thought of something else yesterday night (just doing some research), im going to see if i can get the wheels drilled in the same hole's so i can maybe use the standard washer nuts that come with our standard wheels, so the shank bottom bit (i think thats what its called) go's through the wheel and hopefully give it maybe a extra 10mm bite - because at the moment my fronts are only getting nut about 12mm of thread and the back about 19mm .

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
With out derailing too much,

slip on w/longer studs > bolt ons? Thought they'd be similar.

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
i was thinking that but heard to much stories good and bad about bolt ons, to be honest i want them to look stock in the suspension area of the studs.
And with slip ons/bolt on arent they like a spacer as well making your wheels out more, which i dont want because of the wheels and their offset.

Hope im making sense haha

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
With out derailing too much,

slip on w/longer studs > bolt ons? Thought they'd be similar.

Bolt ons have double the number of studs per wheel. If everything is machined properly, they will be fine. But it allows room for error and play between the studs. Imagine having 5 sets of 20mm bolt ons instead of 1 big ass 100mm spacer.

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
Will be going through the shed starting Friday in preparation for moving house, will let you know the specs once I find the spare set of longer studs. I'm sure there will be plenty of other stuff I find that will end up in a For Sale thread also.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
I figure (as long as everything is hub centric) then bolt ons would be just as safe as using a slip on spacer with longer studs. I guess the advantage of bolt ons is the use of existing studs.

But that raises the safety concern of increased loads on old studs versus brand new studs (when installing the longer ones for slip ons)

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
Thanks all, looks like i might not need longer studs .
Spoken to a few wheel places and they can get the wheel stud holes larger that the standard wheel nuts will go in and give it that extra roughly extra 12-14mm thread bite .
So will find out soon .

Top Bottom