Looking for advice.. Evo vs VR4

PartyMan

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Dan
Drive
looking for new ride
Hi guys, hoping for a bit of info and some ‘unbiased’ advice here (not likely on a VR4 forum I know!).

After selling my RX7, I’m looking for a performance 4 door. The car will not be daily driven, it will be driven maybe twice per week if the weather is nice. Eventually I wouldn’t mind trying a bit of motorsport in it.

I have narrowed it down to either an Evo V/VI or a Galant VR4 (MANUAL only).

So going head to head, how do they compare in the following areas:
·Straight line performance
·Performance/tuning potential
·Handling and braking
·Parts/Maintenance

In all honesty, I was only considering an Evo then today I saw a hot looking yellow VR4 on ebay (bit pricey, but looks awesome! ..and rare in yellow I’d imagine).

I’ll probably copy and paste this into an Evo forum to get the other ‘unbiased’ opinion too!

Also, if anyone in Adelaide (particularly in the southern suburbs) has a manual VR4 (or Evo) and wants to take me for a drive, please let me know!

Cheers
Dan

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
I’m looking for a performance 4 door. The car will not be daily driven, it will be driven maybe twice per week if the weather is nice. Eventually I wouldn’t mind trying a bit of motorsport in it.

Get an EVO.

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
An EVO will beat a VR4 in all the ways you listed above.

I would be looking for an EVO 6 or even a 8/9. I have seen some nice EVO 8's at insane prices.

PartyMan

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Dan
Drive
looking for new ride
Thanks guys, seems an Evo is the way to go for me. My cash budget at the moment only allows for a 5 or 6 (which I think is the best looking anyway).

JUSTCRUZN

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
michael
Drive
98 Legnum VR4
Why u want straight-line performance?

Need to take that shit to the corners.

A vr4 has a fair bit more torgue then a evo probs one of the better things of a vr4. Lol all I can think of

Black_Ice

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Aamir
Drive
WRX
Definatley an EVO IMO...Just cause all the factors u mentioned aboved an EVO would be better...

And that Yellow VR4 on ebay (it has some nice black rims if i'm not mistaken) has been there for ages...

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
haha damn we're honest and non fan boyish, go ozvr4,

but yeah, everything you mentioned is evo. vr4 are great cruisers/dailys that handle awesome and hav a bit of poke. like a chaser or R34 sedan...but much better ;)

that said, nothing stopping you going wild on a vr4 and making it a weekender.
evoX brembos
big turbos
forgies
front and rear LSD's,
ralliart center dif
stripped interior etc

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Another +1 for an Evo as a weekender/part-time track car. For less mod money and less hassles it will be a faster track car by a fair margin I would guess. Having said that, if you think it might end up being a bit of a cruiser - long weekend drives, a couple of passengers, etc. then the Evo might be pretty uncomfortable.. I know I hated riding in my mate's Evo for more than about 20 minutes at a time, so jittery.

And it'd be sweet to see someone go nuts with a VR4 as Paul said :)

sart0ri

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Adam
Drive
2000 VR-4 Galant
I am sure that with the larger capacity and small turbos the VR4s torque would be available at lower revs. VR4s are great cars as stock or with light mods, and a much more comfortable daily that an Evo.

But aftermaket parts support is very limited. I take my my VR4 to the track quite a bit, but would recommend that you buy either an Evo or Nissan 200sx, it will be cheaper to modify, and cheaper when it breaks.

Mel-D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mel
Drive
2012 Ford Focus ST Manual,Tangerine. Evo 6 Blue manual.Had 2004 XR6 Falcon M11 Auto,Yellow GT stripes. 1999 Legnum Manual,White
Go the evo sound like what you're after(lot easier to mod). We have an evo 6 and a legnum vr4 and my hubbie recons definatly go the evo for you're purpose.
Ps the 5/ 6's are the best looking in our books too

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
Dan, as you can see, we're not biased at all!

A VR-4 is more of a grown up Evo, for someone who wants 90% of an Evo's performance but in a far more civilised and easy day-to -day proposition.

If you had said that you wanted a daily driver with some poke that could et up the kilometres with ease and comfort, we'd be recommending the VR-4.

However, as you say it won't be a daily driver and you want to do motor sport, well, the Evo is far better suited to the job.

> Straight line performance - Evo by at least half a second to 100klm (manual vs manual)

> Performance/tuning potential - Definitely Evo, which has massive aftermarket support. Modding VR-4s often requires lots of custom (read, "expensive") work.

> Handling and braking - Evo again, especially in the braking department. All late-ish model Evos get factory Brembos brakes - VR4s don't.

> Parts/Maintenance - Evo for sure. They're just more common and more people have worked on them.

Having said all that, I still think it's worthwhile test driving a V-4. Lots of people can't go past one for its blend of good performance, low purchase price, refinement and all round ability on the street.

PartyMan

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Dan
Drive
looking for new ride
Thanks for the great unbiased replies guys.

I do like to be a little different, which is why I was considering the VR4 as well. But at the end of the day I think an Evo would be better suited to my needs. Comfort wise isn't really an issue. My RX7 on coilovers and 18's was a terrible ride on the street, so anything would be an improvement. So if the evo wins out everywhere else I think the decision is simple.

Cheers

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
I loved my VR4, it wasn't a powerhouse, but it was a fantastic daily driver!

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
An Evo 5/6 isn't suited for daily duties, they can be very thirsty with small tanks. That said, VR4's are hardly economical either. Later model Evo's 7/8/9 are a perfect blend of daily and fun. ANY car on coilovers with harsh rates and big rims is gonna be jittery/hard ride.

G

Unregistered
Go the evo sound like what you're after(lot easier to mod). We have an evo 6 and a legnum vr4 and my hubbie recons definatly go the evo for you're purpose.
Ps the 5/ 6's are the best looking in our books too
I agree...evo 6 is just sex on wheels! :D (im biased haha!)

An Evo 5/6 isn't suited for daily duties, they can be very thirsty with small tanks. That said, VR4's are hardly economical either. Later model Evo's 7/8/9 are a perfect blend of daily and fun. ANY car on coilovers with harsh rates and big rims is gonna be jittery/hard ride.
very true. i have a 6.5 and although not heavily modded it's a very raw/basic/harsh type of car for a daily drive situation. they are essentially a motorsport only type vehicle and not all that well suited to regular traffic conditions.

they have a 40 or 45L tank and mine gets about 350-400kms from it and thats extreme granny driving, if i drove normally or used the right foot reguarly then ill get about 270-350kms from the tank.

oh and btw, my 6.5 is currently for sale ;)

PartyMan

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Dan
Drive
looking for new ride
I agree...evo 6 is just sex on wheels! :D (im biased haha!)

very true. i have a 6.5 and although not heavily modded it's a very raw/basic/harsh type of car for a daily drive situation. they are essentially a motorsport only type vehicle and not all that well suited to regular traffic conditions.

they have a 40 or 45L tank and mine gets about 350-400kms from it and thats extreme granny driving, if i drove normally or used the right foot reguarly then ill get about 270-350kms from the tank.

oh and btw, my 6.5 is currently for sale ;)

It's not going to be a daily for me, so the 'harshness' is ok with me. And talking fuel economy, remember I'm coming from a rotary!

I think your 6.5 might be out of my price range, but send me the details anyway!

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
Dan, if you aren't a car thief/pedo/junkie/wierdo, you are welcome to come in my Manual Leg on the cruise tomorrow night? Im in Noarlunga Downs.

Top Bottom