Low Fuel warning light in Type V!?

Zild

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
1998 VR4 Galant
Do we have one of these? I ran out of petrol (because i'm a genius) and light never came on.

I wasn't waiting for it to come on before i filled up, because the needle was practically pointing at my feet so i knew what was coming... So has mine blown or do the TypeV's not have one!?
Cheers! :D

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
I'm sure they would have one - must be the globe that has blown (don't ask me what type it is or how to change/fix it :) ).

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Yeah it should have one. The ST-R has the same dash as a Type V and the light definitely comes on

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
I've noticed that I have a similar issue, the light only comes on momentarily then goes out. Now I know I'm also almost out of fuel so I'll be filling it up tonight but I think there's some sort of electrical problem but I don't have a clue where to start tracking it down.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
I've never owned a car where the palpitation light* came on steady from the first time. Usually it comes and goes for 10 or 20 km until finally deciding that yes, it's time to get more petrol, and staying lit.

*palpitation light: when it comes on, the wife gets palpitations worried about running out of petrol

G

Unregistered
I remember my magna light would come on when i took off from the lights (when i was low on fuel) but once i got crusing in my final gear i would go off. But then again it also had a display that showed you how many km's your could get out of your tank at your current fuel ecconomy.

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
I hear what you guys are saying but the fuel indicator pointer thingy (don't ya just love that technical talk) is about to hit the stops. If I was in Mel's car the light would have come on and stayed on at least two "notches" before empty!

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Different sensitivity?

Something you could try Pete is stick a 20L jerry can of fuel in the car and drive it 'til it runs dry. Then you'll know exactly how much you can get out of it and what your gauges do towards the end :)

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Thought Of that. Not sure if I really would like to do so due to the smell and the chance of spill. I'd like to know how the low fuel level is measured. Could have a sus component somewhere.

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Interesting. The light came on for a few hundred meters then went out once again. I drove to the nearest petrol station and filed her up. Even gave the car a shake to get any air bubbles out. I ended up putting 48.48 L's into it. Now the needle was about a needle thickness above the empty mark but by my reckoning I had about 1.5 litres left or if the tank is in fact a 60 litre tank 11.5 litres left. Not to displeased with getting 388 km from my first full tank (included injector cleaner). See how it goes for the next. Gonna whip out the plugs and decide if they need changing. I bet the fronts are fine but the backs are rooted.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
If you aren't driving in hilly areas you can easily go another 50km's or so after the fuel light first comes on. Unfortunately the pickup is towards the front of the tank. I've had my white VR-4 cough and splutter going up a hill, then drive 30km's perfectly happily to a petrol station and only got 52 litres in!

Subaru ETA

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
97 Galant VR-4 M/T
my petrol light just came on on my way home from work... 527km's.

when the light first comes on i can usually get around 48L in it. i have put 55L in mine but that was pushing it!

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
He's got 90 out of 100 demerit points at the mo, he's driving like a girl :)

Hey Dave - is Jessica coming out with you tomorrow?

Subaru ETA

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
97 Galant VR-4 M/T
we shall see.

i have my mates 24th and my mums 50th this weekend!!!!

and if i come out she will be my sober driver :p

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
I think it was Kevin (too lazy to go back and check) who said that he got 450km on the highway. Mel's just got 410 km (school runs and shopping) after a plugs (bitch of a job, my back is still hurting) and oil change. We were happy with that.
Some of us are getting pretty amazing figures. I think it just goes to show how far a well setup and maintained VR4 will go on a tank of petrol.

Top Bottom